• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blue Grey Livery Mk2 non air conditioned push pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunblane80

Sorry if this has been asked before but this is my first thread.
I remember a 47/7 push pull rake of non air conditioned mk2s working Edinburgh/Glasgow to Dunblane local services circa 1982/3. Does anyone have any details about this.
Also, would they have been grey/blue livery at any point? I am certain I remember it that way, although they did subsequently become Scotrail regional livery with the pale blue stripe.
If anyone has any picture of either livery I would be really interested
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Sorry if this has been asked before but this is my first thread.
I remember a 47/7 push pull rake of non air conditioned mk2s working Edinburgh/Glasgow to Dunblane local services circa 1982/3. Does anyone have any details about this.
Also, would they have been grey/blue livery at any point? I am certain I remember it that way, although they did subsequently become Scotrail regional livery with the pale blue stripe.
If anyone has any picture of either livery I would be really interested
Thank you
That would've been the "spare set" formed of the ex Edinburgh-Glasgow 2Z push-pull stock. Used 1971-1980 with the 27s, one set was retained after the 47/7s, Mk3s & DBSO were introduced in 1979-80.

It was originally spare to the Mk3 sets, in 1982 it was used on Glasgow-Perth/Dundee. From 1983 its usual diagram was Dunblane-Edinburgh-Perth-Edinburgh-Dundee-Edinburgh this was IIRC when the Glasgow-Dundee two-hourly service was ended and a Perth-Dundee-Arbroath DMU shuttle instituted instead.

It was also used on the Low Fare "Jacobite" Edinburgh/Inverness service from 1983-85.

The set was disbanded in 1986 to provide additional vehicles for the extension of push-pull working to Edinburgh-Aberdeen.

In 1987 it was reformed as Mk2F DBSO, 2Z BSO, 2Z TSO, 2Z TSO, 2D TSOT, 2A FK. In a mix of ScotRail Express and BR Blue/Grey. Its diagram was 0710 Perth-Edinburgh, 1230 Edinburgh-Glasgow QS, 1500 Glasgow QS-Edinburgh, 1715 Edinburgh-Dundee. It remained the hot spare set however, being stepped up to cover for an unavailable Mk3 set as required.

Last edited:

Dunblane80

Wow. So fast. That is great. Thank you.
Like so much in life I didn’t appreciate it at the time but in a world of DMUs and EMUs I’m now missing the duffs and appreciating the HSTs!
It’s funny how after 40 years I can still smell those mk2s and hear the noise those sliding dividing doors made.
Thanks again for your help.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wow. So fast. That is great. Thank you.
Like so much in life I didn’t appreciate it at the time but in a world of DMUs and EMUs I’m now missing the duffs and appreciating the HSTs!
It’s funny how after 40 years I can still smell those mk2s and hear the noise those sliding dividing doors made.
Thanks again for your help.
No problem, glad to have been of help. :)

Dunblane80

So would that mean that the 1982 rake would have been 5 coaches? Mk2F DBSO, 2Z BSO, 2Z TSO, 2Z TSO, 2A FK?
I don’t remember an air conditioned mk2 in that rake in 1982

hexagon789

Veteran Member
So would that mean that the 1982 rake would have been 5 coaches? Mk2F DBSO, 2Z BSO, 2Z TSO, 2Z TSO, 2A FK?
I don’t remember an air conditioned mk2 in that rake in 1982
No, the 1982 rake was all 2Z except the DBSO:

2F DBSO, 2Z FK, 4 2Z TSO

Helvellyn

Established Member
No, the 1982 rake was all 2Z except the DBSO:

2F DBSO, 2Z FK, 4 2Z TSO
Wasn't the FK replaced by Mk 2F FO 3284 due to the FK being asbestos fitted? Never understood why they never just got another Mk 2E FO.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wasn't the FK replaced by Mk 2F FO 3284 due to the FK being asbestos fitted? Never understood why they never just got another Mk 2E FO.
3284 was originally obtained for the Mk3 sets, to act as a spare after fire damage to some vehicles at Cowlairs. Until 1984 it was strictly part of the push-pull fleet and was not to be used elsewhere on pain of "death", more-or-less ;) . The 2Z FK was booked to be used in an Edinburgh-Aberdeen set in 1983. 3284 was booked to be used on Sundays in the 2Z push-pull set on an Edinburgh-Aberdeen-Edinburgh diagram, the rest of the week it was for use as required in push-pull sets.

The 2Z FK survived long enough to receive ScotRail livery, which was applied to most of the non-Mk3 fleet during mid-1985, the Mk3s being done mostly from late-1984 to mid-1985.

I believe it was still in use in 1986 with ScotRail but I'd need to find out it's number as I can't recall it's number.

3284 then became the Mk2 push-pull set spare, as there were only 4 Mk2E FOs for the four sets in traffic, so 3284 acted as the 'fifth' one.

Finally here is a picture of 3284 declassified in a Mk3 push-pull set in 1984 in the middle of the set, note also the HST 100 board permitting 100 basically all the way to Polmont for HSTs (the conventional limit was 90 Edinburgh-Polmont but 100 Polmont-Glasgow):

(Copyright LusitaniaD225 flickr)

Status
Not open for further replies.