• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blue Peter is back!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teaboy1

One supposes that there are to be running-in trials and testing to be performed before any revenue earning trips are planned. Guess it will be sold out when announced.
Good to see her back, last time I saw her in steam was renaming ceremony at Doncaster Crimpsall shops way back in 1970's .

Trackman

Established Member
and it's Blue!
Have a soft spot for it, saw it once on a railtour many moons ago and was impressed!

Forty29

Arrived on a low loader by road l think Monday. In steam today at Kidderminster station with a 47 and Hoskings plush stock on a LSL jolly and 55022 DMU.

Meole

BP has departed Kidderminster on a test run up the line with passengers in the bubble car.

Viper

Is there anything particularly meaningful about this loco, other than the colour? I have no problem with that, as I think it looks stunning in blue.

Trainlog

Is there anything particularly meaningful about this loco, other than the colour? I have no problem with that, as I think it looks stunning in blue.

Blue Peter was the only preserved Peppercorn loco (As Tornado was a new build). Plus other claims to fame such as the loco's close association with the BBC Blue Peter TV progamme along with its Wheelslip incident in 1994.

peteb

I seem to recall it was in a bad derailment in the 1950s but preserved in the late 60s to much applause via BBC TV programme Blue Peter.

Harvester

Established Member
I seem to recall it was in a bad derailment in the 1950s but preserved in the late 60s to much applause via BBC TV programme Blue Peter.
Laurencekirk 4/8/1951, where 60532 ended up laying on its left hand side. The loco entered Doncaster works for 3 weeks on 14/8/51 for a casual repair, but is more remembered for the Durham wheelslip incident in 1994.

Trainlog

Will Blue Peter just be allocated to the Carnforth pool, or are there plans for it to travel around the country a bit to other depots?

Stokesy

Does anyone know what dates and times blue Peter is testing on svr?

Blue Peter successfully completed light engine trials last week, and is scheduled to haul some trains this week. If all goes to plan it should complete two return journeys each day Tuesday-Thursday. Obviously subject to change if any problems arise.

Strathclyder

Established Member

Footage of the October 1994 Durham incident, shot by someone at the rear of the train. Truly horrendous, no matter the cause. Can't imagine how devastated her volunteers and owning group were when this happened.

She's looking incredible now though. BR Express Blue really suits her (as it did Tornado).

Last edited:

Footage of the October 1994 Durham incident, shot by someone at the rear of the train. Truly horrendous, no matter the cause. Can't imagine how devastated her volunteers and owning group were when this happened.

She's looking incredible now though. BR Express Blue really suits her (as it did Tornado).
Is the size of the driving wheels the only real difference between the A1 and the A2?

Harvester

Established Member
Is the size of the driving wheels the only real difference between the A1 and the A2?
Assume you mean the Peppercorn A2s! Only six of these engines, including 60532, had double chimneys and in that form there was no real difference to the A1s. Only the driving wheel diameter, spacing and various components dependent on these dimensions differed.

Lampman

Blue Peter drifts southwards through Eardington Station last Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_8865.jpeg
    IMG_8865.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33