• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blue Pullman Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
It definitely looks like a very leisurely trundle through the Hope Valley, being timed for 30 minutes from Totley Tunnel East to Chinley North Junction, as opposed to the following EMT Norwich-Liverpool that is booked for 17 minutes, the preceding Northern stopper is also booked for 30 minutes, stopping at all the intervening stations. I'd have thought a planner might have decided to put the HST through before the stopper!
Recovery time built in for these services!

It has to clear the single line Dore curve from Dore South to Dore West to allow for a freight path in the opposite direction from Peak Forest to Toton. That's unlikely to be used, but has to be planned around.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It's running and showing 9 carriages on RTT. Seems to already be 10 late after Leicester.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Here's a very low res still image from a video clip as the set passed through Reddish South earlier today.

Attachments

• IMG_3068.PNG
    IMG_3068.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 52

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Here's a very low res still image from a video clip as the set passed through Reddish South earlier today.

And here's the world's worst photo of it inconsiderately passing Heaton Norris Junction without even bothering to stop :lol:

Attachments

• 20201212_125055.jpg
    20201212_125055.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 34

Ash Bridge

Established Member
And here's the world's worst photo of it inconsiderately passing Heaton Norris Junction without even bothering to stop :lol:

Haha! So did it not stop on the Up Goods Loop between Ash Bridge and Heaton Norris Junc. then? as apparently the set was held at the signal before the crossover with the rear trailer and powercar stationary adjacent to our house for several minutes according to the family whilst I was at Reddish South along with about 25 others photographing its passage.

Edit: Nice pictures Matt, especially so considering the poor light conditions!

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Haha! So did it not stop on the Up Goods Loop between Ash Bridge and Heaton Norris Junc. then? as apparently the set was held at the signal before the crossover with the rear trailer and powercar stationary adjacent to our house for several minutes according to the family whilst I was at Reddish South along with about 25 others photographing its passage.

Nope, just passed at line speed (I think) whilst I was walking over trying to get to Sainsbury's to bag mixed grapes whilst they're still worth 90 Nectar Points :lol:

DB

Why is that?

Because lights have to conform to the most recent standards in order for the train to be allowed to run without a yellow front.

And yes, those power cars did get their lights upgraded...

ffesti

With standards in mind, how do LSL get away with both the blue pullman and their Intercity set having non-contrasting doors?

midland1

Looking at the number of shots of the Blue Pullman on Youtube, even at small stations they were large numbers out to see it, often in very poor weather this must have been one of the most photographed rail tours of the last few years.

fgwrich

Established Member
There's a peak of the interior in this tweet, basically the GWR first class but with a new carpet.

https://twitter.com/RailwayHeritage/status/1337688889499246593

Indeed, the interior of the Mk3s is largely the ex GWR First Class interior with the seat swatches, saloon end walls and the carpet (Can’t say I’m that keen on) changed, along with the vestibules. The biggest transformation to the passenger areas however is in 40801, which has certainly changed somewhat. However, a small testament to the wonderful FGW Buffet design, keeps its layout with the counter design changed. In contrast, here is the same space in 40221 this week.

(Two photos are from Twitter - I just couldn’t say anything until today).

Attachments

• 1562EC8F-C716-42AB-8A04-59AFE04B8B1E.jpeg
    1562EC8F-C716-42AB-8A04-59AFE04B8B1E.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 67872B89-5440-488A-BBB7-EF6EE41A25A3.jpeg
    67872B89-5440-488A-BBB7-EF6EE41A25A3.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 188
  • AB55D7A0-6E25-40E8-8C58-42E8ACDF2278.jpeg
    AB55D7A0-6E25-40E8-8C58-42E8ACDF2278.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 196

WesternLancer

Established Member
Indeed, the interior of the Mk3s is largely the ex GWR First Class interior with the seat swatches, saloon end walls and the carpet (Can’t say I’m that keen on) changed, along with the vestibules. The biggest transformation to the passenger areas however is in 40801, which has certainly changed somewhat. However, a small testament to the wonderful FGW Buffet design, keeps its layout with the counter design changed. In contrast, here is the same space in 40221 this week.

Nice - if only the lovely marquetry panels from the 1960 Blue Pullman could have been re-created....but you can't have everything! This does look good.
Not seen any pics of the carpet as yet.

theblackwatch

Established Member

Interesting pics there, thanks for uploading these. Do you have any interior shots around showing what has been done to 40802 or 44078 at all please?

DB

That blue lighting under the counter makes it look like a seedy nightclub!

Trackman

Established Member
I think it looks smart inside and out.
The tour operator yesterday Statesman Rail, are they something to do with LSL?

Killingworth

Established Member
I think it looks smart inside and out.
The tour operator yesterday Statesman Rail, are they something to do with LSL?
Saphos, Statesman, Blue Pullman, LSL and others all parts of the Jeremy Hosking operations based at Crewe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.