• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blue Ticket Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdwarr

I had to get my Season Ticket replaced at King's Cross last night. Instead of getting a ticket with grey or red borders I was given one with a sky blue colour. Not a problem but it's the first time I've seen tickets this colour.
The guy on the desk said it was "old stock" - any idea what it was originally used for?

BTW the price on the replacement ticket is shown as £0.00. Is this correct or should it relate to the period remaining on the ticket? Original ticket was 2M27D, replacement is 2M22D.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
The replacement is £0.00 because it stops fraud, you might not actually lose the first season ticket and all of a sudden you have two tickets costing a lot of money, which you could get refunded.

tsr

Established Member
The replacement is £0.00 because it stops fraud, you might not actually lose the first season ticket and all of a sudden you have two tickets costing a lot of money, which you could get refunded.

Indeed. It is quite normal for the "£0.00" "price" to be applied.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
When Merseyrail issued their railpass to me it always came with the sky blue ticket stock. (I stopped taking the train to school regularly for a year now so it may have changed in a year)

rdwarr

Thanks, the original (damaged) ticket was retained by the guy so there was never the possibility of having two.

Tibbs

Yep, my season reprint was for £0.00 as well, and I handed my broken one in too.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Perhaps it helps the TOCs balance the books too for accounting purposes?

Money taken should equal total cost of tickets sold.

andykn

My Network Railcard has a blue top and washed out greeny blue picture of cliffs.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....The guy on the desk said it was "old stock" - any idea what it was originally used for?....

Season tickets of a month or longer (some stock may had "Replacement" or "Duplicate" pre-printed on it for the obvious purpose).

I've had numerous Network Railcards replaced over the years and the price on the replacement was £0.00, always thought it might be something to do with the operators till

Example would be if my replacement had £25.00 written on it and no money was paid the operators till will then be 25 notes down

34D

Established Member
Season tickets of a month or longer (some stock may had "Replacement" or "Duplicate" pre-printed on it for the obvious purpose).

Wasn't it green-top stock that was intended for seasons?

Is this the same sky-blue stock that is used for plus bus seasons?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's changed a bit since 2008, but this post lists some historic colours.

Don't suppose anyone knows whether the old site at http://therailticketgallery.fotopic.net/ (linked in that thread) has a new home post-fotopic?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've replaced a few tickets recently that were issued on the light blue stock, so it would appear it was in regular use until early 2012 (they were all annuals). At my TOC retention of the original is necessary, as we submit it to our accounts department with out paperwork, along with details of the replacement ticket. If you don't have the original, you need a duplicate, not a replacement!

Haydn1971

Established Member
My first issue annual Sheffield-Leeds season ticket has pale blue edges, with "rail settlement plan" in green.

Are there any standards now or just anything that falls to hand ?

barrykas

Established Member
Blue (RSP 9699) seasons are the common stock version, and can be used for either point to point or Travelcard seasons. Some TOCs, such as Chiltern, still use the non-Common Stock versions for Travelcards (RSP 7599/56, 7599/57 and 7599/84); and there a few examples of non-Common Stock point to point Seasons floating around as well (RSP 7599/6, 7599/7 and 7599/80).

The primary use of non-Common Stock blanks is for Annual Gold Cards and Gold Card Travelcards in the Network Area. (RSP 7599/24, 7599/25, 7599/81, 7599/66, 7599/67 and 7599/68) and Oyster Gold Record Cards (RSP 7599/286).

insidetrack

Light blue ticket stock is currently used by First Scotrail booking offices for season tickets of periods between one month and one year.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Wasn't it green-top stock that was intended for seasons?

Is this the same sky-blue stock that is used for plus bus seasons?....

Green was weekly stock, TOCs don't use green now afaik. I believe PlusBus should use the same stock as regular point to point seasons, except yearly tickets in the southeast.

My first issue annual Sheffield-Leeds season ticket has pale blue edges, with "rail settlement plan" in green.

Are there any standards now or just anything that falls to hand ?

Depends a little on the TOC, some TOCs use blue season stock for one month or upwards, others for two months or up. Anything less is orange stock and in the southeast they have goldcards for annual tickets.

SovietGaz

I see blue stock used by other passengers as I alight at Rhyl and on the train. I collect a month ticket from Colwyn Bay and it is orange as are my colleagues' who travel from Llandudno Junction.

Any clues as to where the blue tickets come from around me or is it for year tickets?

Greeby

Blue is the main period season stock. Any of the old grey point-to-point or white Travelcard stock still around is basically a case of using up existing stocks. Problem with it is that where the ticket is an annual that isn't eligible for a Gold Card, SWECOIN printers still expect pre-printed stock. So no headings are printed.

dvboy

Established Member
Sadly most of the season tickets I see around here are of the pre-printed green nTrain or blue nNetwork variety, with any extensions on standard orange stock.

district

When I have my season tickets issued, the screen on the TIS says: ''Insert blue durable stock'' or similar, despite the clerk inserting the grey stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.