• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blunt end first on Class 91

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hm. I think there may have been a thread or two on this before.

mrdon

On Moderation
Google it and a link comes up from this forum, it’s been discussed already. Posted the link but seems to be awaiting approval.

MCSHF007

Frequently puzzled why people who have been members of this forum for a couple of years or more (and are therefore presumably not newcomers to 'the railway') ask this sort of question. But then what do I know?

driver_m

Established Member
The most obvious one will be because of a DVT failure preventing the driver taking it from that end and a need for the loco to be run round. We had to do that with WC stock in our DVT days regularly. No need for the snidey responses to the question. What's obvious to many isn't to others .

whhistle

On Moderation
Yep, they run it blunt end first when the pointy end is facing towards attached coaches and the blunt end isn't.

Another reason could be some sort of failure in the "normal" cab, like a wiper fault, horn fault, seat broken... anything really.

Last edited by a moderator:

trebor79

Established Member
Must be a right pain to sort out once it gets to kings cross. I guess another loco needs to drag the while lot to Bounds Great for the loco to run round.

trainmania100

Established Member
Must be a right pain to sort out once it gets to kings cross. I guess another loco needs to drag the while lot to Bounds Great for the loco to run round.
Sometimes there's a 67 thunderbird parked at kings cross maybe for this sort of thing

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why the Class 91 is sometimes run blunt end first?

TDM (Time Division Multiplex) fault, meaning the push-pull equipment isn't working so the driver can't drive from the DVT with the 91 propelling so it has to be done 'old school' with the 91 running-round to couple at the opposite end.

Originally they were going to work Sleeping Car trains as well, which would've seen them frequently running blunt-end first, though they never ended up working such services.

They are limited to 110mph when running blunt-end first as well.

trebor79

Established Member
Aerodynamics on the pantograph knuckle putting too much load onto the OHL.

delticdave

Q?. Wasn't there a programme to refit the 91's with a 2nd pantograph?

ISTR that there are photographs of such a device (really 2 pantos on one frame) in a magazine

On Moderation
Q?. Wasn't there a programme to refit the 91's with a 2nd pantograph?

ISTR that there are photographs of such a device (really 2 pantos on one frame) in a magazine

I think it was 91114 had that mod done as a trial fit. It was decided it wasn't worthwhile, so I think it has reverted to a standard pantograph, though it retains the cab roof modifications.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Is that due to aerodynamics or the fact that they weren't intended to go 125 or 140 blunt end first?

I believe aerodynamics are the main reason, yes. They would only have run at a max of 100, normally 80mph, if they had ended up working sleepers anyway.

Ben Bow

Whilst its not that rare to see a 91 with the pointy end coupled to the coaches, don't remember ever seeing a DVT the same.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Whilst its not that rare to see a 91 with the pointy end coupled to the coaches, don't remember ever seeing a DVT the same.
The DVT only has one driving cab, isn't powered* and is supposed to remain coupled to the rest of the set, so there'd be no point in putting it blunt end first!

*There is one monstrosity Mk3 DVT which does have a driving cab at the blunt end, but that's another thread

ash39

Established Member

Why is this not an issue when running in normal formation with the DVT leading? Does the airflow around the coaches create a slipstream for the pan?

On Moderation
The Mark 4s have Tightlock couplers within the set, so the only vehicles that can be coupled to normally are the outer ends of the DVT (pointy end) and the TSOE (end with no gangway).

Status
Not open for further replies.