• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BML Disruption 22/04/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Apparently been a signalling problem between Gatwick Airport and Haywards Heath.

Brighton station is absolute carnage at the moment. 9T41 just arrived an hour late.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichardKing

Multiple track circuit failures affecting both the northbound and southbound lines in the Balcombe area. This started at around 13:00 and the root cause still hasn't been found, so expect disruption until the end of service.

A lot of congestion is occurring at Gatwick as coastway services are being held at platform 7 whilst the backlog further down the line clears (most Brighton services are being curtailed there). Platform 5 seems to be out of action for some reason.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Eastbourne hasn't escaped the disruption, currently on a 4car which was full n standing after Plumpton due to the races and got rather lively with one or two people refusing to remove suitcases from seats. I think the train after mine was cancelled and there have been a few cancellations on the East Coastway

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’m caught up in this at the moment. I’d been intending to catch the 17:25 from Eastbourne which was cancelled. Passengers advised to travel to Brighton on the 17:38 and change there for services towards London.

No way am I going anywhere near Brighton on a Bank Holiday. I’ve retreated to the pub to consider alternatives...

tsr

Established Member
The Balcombe issues were resolved a little while ago after a blown fuse was found during diagnostics. The situation was made more complex by problems with Emergency Special Working, which had been imposed (eventually) due to the number of track circuits affected.

There is still an unrelated issue with a signalling cable having been affected by a misplaced piece of rail near Gatwick Airport, repairs to which are currently ongoing.

Now also a problem with a couple of signals at Faygate... it never rains but it pours...

RichardKing

I’m caught up in this at the moment. I’d been intending to catch the 17:25 from Eastbourne which was cancelled. Passengers advised to travel to Brighton on the 17:38 and change there for services towards London.
That service was started from Lewes as the inbound stock was running 75 minutes late. The next London-bound service from the east has also been cancelled, so Brighton's only going to get busier! Southeastern via Tonbridge would be the best option!
No way am I going anywhere near Brighton on a Bank Holiday. I’ve retreated to the pub to consider alternatives...
Good idea!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
700148 has just left Brighton absolutely rammed to the rafters throughout every single one of the 12 carriages. Platform staff refused further boarding.

Meanwhile, I've got hardly anyone on the 1802 to Portsmouth (377432).

RichardKing

There is still an unrelated issue with a signalling cable having been affected by a misplaced piece of rail near Gatwick Airport, repairs to which are currently ongoing.

The problem at Gatwick seems to have just been resolved...1J50 is the first service to use Platform 5 in a while.

RichardKing

More disruption on the line today with track circuit failures on the up fast and down slow just south of Gatwick.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

That was an utterly daft suggestion going via Brighton, bearing it mind it was even worse there!

tsr

Established Member
That was an utterly daft suggestion going via Brighton, bearing it mind it was even worse there!

The logic was that all the Haywards Heath to Eastbourne / Hastings / Ore portions were being diverted to Brighton to shorten their delayed journeys and therefore reduce delays later in the day, meaning more trains should have started back from Brighton towards Haywards Heath (then onwards to London).

Status
Not open for further replies.