• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bo’ness model railway torched in deliberate fire

och aye

I really don't understand the logic of people who would do such a thing as this. Having had the pleasure of visiting Bo’ness and Kinneil Heritage Railway and seeing the model railway in action, it's very sad too see this happen. The volunteers must feel gutted at what has happened to them.

1716235972882.png1716235997875.png
A model railway at a popular tourist attraction has been destroyed in a deliberate attack.

Volunteers had spent years piecing together the 1930's-style layout at the Bo’ness and Kinneil Heritage Railway.

But they were left “devastated” after a raid on Sunday left a carriage that housed the model “extensively damaged” with much of the display either burned or stolen.

Police are investigating and have released descriptions of two men they want to trace in connection with the attack.

The Bo’ness Gauge ‘O’ Group, which started in 1993, built the model rail at Bo’ness and Kinneil station.

Two wagons were targeted in the fire, dating from 1923 and 1937 respectively.

One of them was used as a storage facility, however the other housed the model railway - painstakingly put together over the last 30 years by a team of enthusiasts.

Police have issued a description of the two men they wish to speak to:

Police Scotland said two men had been seen “acting suspiciously” in the area at about 02:00.

Insp David Black encouraged anyone who saw the pair or anyone matching their descriptions to come forward and share it with officers.

The first man is described as being in his late 20s to early 40s, clean shaven, with a large build and between 5ft 8in and 6ft tall.

He was said to be wearing dark glasses, baseball cap, dark top and bottoms, dark New Balance trainers and was carrying a shoulder bag that was worn across his body.

The second man was also described as white, aged late 20s to early 40s and clean shaven.

He had a slim build, was about 5ft 8in to 6ft tall and was wearing a dark jacket, dark shoulder bag on one shoulder, a dark hat with white writing, dark joggers and grey trainers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
Unbelievable!

Sadly I'd say exactly the opposite.

Very believable, even predictable.

I doubt there is a heritage railway in the country that hasn't been targeted by vandals/thieves at some point, it is just the reality of modern Britain that scumbaggery has been allowed free reign for several generations and is now a way of life for a significant % of the population.

Even if identified and caught there will be little consequences for them and they certainly will not be required to make right the damage they have caused.

Edsmith

Sadly I'd say exactly the opposite.

Very believable, even predictable.

I doubt there is a heritage railway in the country that hasn't been targeted by vandals/thieves at some point, it is just the reality of modern Britain that scumbaggery has been allowed free reign for several generations and is now a way of life for a significant % of the population.

Even if identified and caught there will be little consequences for them and they certainly will not be required to make right the damage they have caused.
I agree that sadly this isn't surprising and a few years ago a model railway in Stamford in Lincolnshire was destroyed by vandals and their parents had to pay costs.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There is no logic, there is no reason. The people who do this are just c**ts.

We all had them at school, anyone who did anything nice had it smashed to pieces. Those people just carried on. And there isn’t a meaningful sanction that will ever persuade them not to.

Stathern Jc

There is a page on the BBC News website timed an hour ago which says that 2 men have been charged.
Two men have been arrested and charged over a deliberate fire that wrecked a model railway at a popular tourist attraction.
Doesn't say what the charges are, but it's good to see.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The word is arson.
No such offence in Scotland.

The usual approximate in Scots law is wilful fire raising.

I would expect the charges to be that and of culpable and reckless conduct, as usually the two charges are filed together in cases like this one.

Train Maniac

No such offence in Scotland.

The usual approximate in Scots law is wilful fire raising.

I would expect the charges to be that and of culpable and reckless conduct, as usually the two charges are filed together in cases like this one.
I get that they are pretty much the same thing, but why does Scotland insist on calling it something different?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I get that they are pretty much the same thing, but why does Scotland insist on calling it something different?
Technically they aren't, wilful fire raising is just the closest offence that exists.

And that's why it's not calling it something different, it technically is different.

Asides from of course the difference between the Scottish and English/Welsh legal systems, but that would be a discussion for another thread! ;)

Train Maniac

Those on this side of the border would no doubt ask why England insists on calling it something different!

Technically they aren't, wilful fire raising is just the closest offence that exists.

And that's why it's not calling it something different, it technically is different.

Asides from of course the difference between the Scottish and English/Welsh legal systems, but that would be a discussion for another thread! ;)
Fair points ;)

Towers

Established Member
Regretfully on neither side of the border is the punishment to have their own homes torched with their entire possessions locked inside. Shame.

The word is arson.
And also theft presumably, if the article is accurate.

I suppose there ought to be some degree of relief that they didn’t move on to setting alight to anything else even harder to replace; i.e. lifesize rolling stock. That’s something at least.

Russel

Established Member

Scotland has more than it's fair share of mysterious fires, especially Glasgow, usually involving abandoned buildings...

I wonder if the laws around arson, or lack of, need looking at in Scotland?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Both nations had developed mature legal systems well before union in 1707, There are many differences in nomenclature, for example plaintiff/pursuer. The functions that in England & Wales are performed by coroners are performed by a procurator-fiscal in Scotland.
Neither nation sees the need to change, particularly since any change might have unintended legal consequences.

JKF

Both 32 years old, so not kids. Targeted theft, or someone with a grudge?