• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boarding a single part way through journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cockney travel

I wnat to go to leicester from london at the weekend to watch some football. I can get a cheap single outward (£12) to Leicester but the return singles are crazy like £47. I had a sneaky feeling these were levied up to tax football fans so did a bit of research:

If i board the same return train at the preceeding stop in Nottingham its £17 and if i board it the stop after Leicester in Market Harborough its £14. This is surely a scandal? How can they randomely pick one destination on the same route and whack up the price to board there?

My question is if i buy the single from Notts to London for £17 can i just pick it up at Leicester? I believe Leicester station has electronic gates these days.

Any advice would be welcome

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cockney travel

why not buy a day single to Market Harbourough and a cheap advance single from Market Harborough to London?

That single is £8 on top the other single (Harborough to London) fare - so if i can swerve it i will. Is my other suggestion out of the question?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am not sure about the question, but I know the people with lots of knowledge of the ticketing system will let you know.

However if you are just needing to get through the gates to admire trains just get a ticket to either South Wigston or Syston ;)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The cheap fares are 'advance' tickets, these do not allow a break of journey, nor do they allow you to start your journey after the train has left the origin station. So getting the ticket from Nottingham is a no-no unless you can travel from Leicester to Nottingham first!.

EDIT:

Thinking about it, you could get a cheap ticket from Nottingham if you were able to book a change of train at Leicester (not impossible), then you'd only need to get through the barrier at Leicester to use it. I assume they issue platform tickets there? If not a cheap single to the next stop would be all that is required.

Last edited:

Cockney travel

The cheap fares are 'advance' tickets, these do not allow a break of journey, nor do they allow you to start your journey after the train has left the origin station. So getting the ticket from Nottingham is a no-no unless you can travel from Leicester to Nottingham first!.

EDIT:

Thinking about it, you could get a cheap ticket from Nottingham if you were able to book a change of train at Leicester (not impossible), then you'd only need to get through the barrier at Leicester to use it. I assume they issue platform tickets there? If not a cheap single to the next stop would be all that is required.

How do i do "book a change of train at Leicester" ?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I don't know about online sales, but at a station (and I presume on the phone) you can request a particular station to change trains at. All you need to know is what the previous train from Nottingham was, it also helps if the train you intend to catch doesn't start there, but that is not essential.

There is no guarantee that the cheap ticket will be available though, it depends how the quotas are controlled.

Failed Unit

Established Member
How do i do "book a change of train at Leicester" ?

Instead of looking for Nottingham - London you could go for Beeston (avoid Derby) or Loughborough. On many trains you will be required to change at Leicester.

You could even try stations such as Melton Mowbray.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Or just buy a £47.80 Return ticket, valid on any train you wish (as it is a weekend)

But that is the posters point, they can get to Nottingham for £34 return on the same weekend using the same trains! EMT have just reduced the quota to Leicester because of the football.

That aside this is a common situation, during popular times I have known the London - Edinburgh quota sell out but lots left on the same trains between London and Newcastle (I know slightly different).

Airlines would do the same thing, but you don't have the pleasure of leaving the plane early by choice. Unfortunatley that is the way quotas work for any transport system, an event with lots of demand see them disappear quickly. I am sure that London - Edinburgh tickets for the 13th March will be in very short supply (or anywhere in England for that matter)

Failed Unit

Established Member
Or maybe sold them all :roll:

I am very cynical when it comes to the rail industry, but I doubt they have sold all the quota to Liecester but still have some to Nottingham. I would do the same if I was a business, you know you will have a high demand so you reduce / withdraw the quota of cheap AP tickets it is good business sense!

Everyone does the same thing, if you book a room in a hotel in Lincoln for the Christmas market weekend it will be double the price of the weekend before. You have to make your money when you can you know!

sheff1

Established Member
When you say 'the weekend' do you mean this Saturday (13th) ? If so, tickets at either £14 or £17 are still available on all evening trains from Leicester to London.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Saturdday 13th there are some megatrain tickets left for the 2000 ex-Leicester available @ £12.50 plus 50p booking fee.

Cockney travel

Thanks for all your responses. something odd happened yesterday as when i went on trainline and national rail it allowed me to purchase a cheap return single onlf 15 quid.

They were showing these fairs earlier in the week but when i went to purchase they put me through to EMT site and they said no such price was available quoting the crazy 47 quid.

Not sure what happened there and whether it was just an IT glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.