• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boarding arrangements at Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
I just treat it like an airport, wait in the departure lounge until the boarding announcement appears then walk to the "gate" with my ticket/boarding pass ready. If only they did fast-track! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Never understand people like you, why there is always such a flap and panic about being at the platform ages before hand, 15 minutes is plenty to board a train.

They are held back because there are so many platform alterations due to set swaps, delays etc and also to allow trains to undergo maintainance, cleaning and loading of stores. If you'd like to get on a dirty train, with no catering, that doesn't work and then it may be replatformed at the last minute so you miss it then please complain.

1. If a platform is only advised 8 minutes before departure how is a mobility-impaired person expected to get from the middle of the concourse to (say) Platform 18, and find a seat, in that length of time.

2. I'm perfectly aware that incoming trains require servicing [I spent 20 years working for the railway], and that late alterations may - rarely - be needed, but I still don't see why passengers cannot wait on the platform ramp rather than the concourse.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interesting last night as there are departures to Manchester at 18.57 and 19.00, and the 19.00 showed its platform on the departure boards before the 18.57. In the event the 18.57 was flagged up with about five minutes to go and they got everybody on but I wonder how many had opted for the 19.00 on the grounds that the 18.57 might be delayed.

Not me, as the 18.57 is declassified and gives the opportunity of a first-class seat for a second-class fare, and the 19.00 is always packed. In the event the 18.57 had lots of spare seats.

I have been on Euston when the 1857's platform had not been advised at 1855. Went for the 1910 instead.

DiscoStu

I agree with you completely. I travel with LM to/from Euston a few times a month, and I can't stand it when I get to Euston in the evening and all of the trains are showing a platform EXCEPT the London Midland train to Northampton/B'Ham.

What annoys me even more is when the train is in the platform, but you can't get on and there's loads of people waiting to board because the doors are still locked. The guard then decides to unlock them about three minutes before departure resulting in a mad dash to get seats!!! <(

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I thought the theory about the frequent 3tph departures (MAN and BHM from Euston) was that there would always be a train ready for boarding.
So the stream of people wandering up to the departure board simply diverts to a different platform when the previous one closes. Should be a gentle flow.
Doesn't work if everybody is on Advances, obviously, or for the 1tph Liverpool/Preston/Glasgow.

I don't have any trouble locating the xx10 to Chester - just find the only Voyager at the buffers.

krisk

Gates should be locked out when the platform isn't in use for safety and anti terrorism reasons. Will be better when there are ticket barriers

Wath Yard

2. I'm perfectly aware that incoming trains require servicing [I spent 20 years working for the railway], and that late alterations may - rarely - be needed, but I still don't see why passengers cannot wait on the platform ramp rather than the concourse.

Been there and done that and it isn't a pleasant experience. Personally, I'd rather wait on the concourse or even outside the station until the platform is announced, although your point regarding the mobility impaired is a good one.

Euston is an awful station in almost every respect and the sooner it is redeveloped the better.

island

Veteran Member
I doubt it would make much difference. I was recently watching a load of people queuing at the unstaffed (and locked) gate for a KLM Flight at Schiphol for about 20 minutes before the staff member arrived. She only opened the gate and started letting people through when the airside bus out to the Fokker Farm pulled up. And then it was a scrum to board the bus.

I have no idea why they were queuing and rushing given that A) they were boarding a bus and B) all seats on the aircraft are allocated at check in.

In order to fit their stuff in the overhead bin.

David Goddard

Established Member
I thought the theory about the frequent 3tph departures (MAN and BHM from Euston) was that there would always be a train ready for boarding.
So the stream of people wandering up to the departure board simply diverts to a different platform when the previous one closes. Should be a gentle flow.
Doesn't work if everybody is on Advances, obviously, or for the 1tph Liverpool/Preston/Glasgow.

I don't have any trouble locating the xx10 to Chester - just find the only Voyager at the buffers.

This is why I am all in favour of regular pattern services having designated platforms at terminals, to make life simpler for staff and passengers alike. When these are every twenty or thirty minutes there should be no reason (remember- where there is a will, there is a way) why they can not allocate a pair of back to back platforms to the departure of such services.

For example:
At Paddington use 2 & 3 for Bristols and 4 & 5 for Cardiffs
At Kings Cross use 2 & 3 for Leeds and 6 & 7 for Newcastles
At Birmingham New Street use 2 & 3 for Euston Pendolinos

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This is why I am all in favour of regular pattern services having designated platforms at terminals, to make life simpler for staff and passengers alike. When these are every twenty or thirty minutes there should be no reason (remember- where there is a will, there is a way) why they can not allocate a pair of back to back platforms to the departure of such services.

For example:

They used to do that when the InterCity Shuttle was operating.

Trains06

Indeed, your point about mobility impaired people is an excellent one - I frequently travel with my grandmother as she requires support when travelling and getting from Eustons concourse to 1 or 18 when she can't move properly, your on an advance ticket and the train leaves in 5 minutes isn't easy... Luckily I normally check the booked platform prior to going to the station so we always sit nearby the booked platform and 9/10 times it's correct.. They should really give out information sooner.

This is because the companies do not treat the paying passengers as customers. You see it here with replies of... just wait... 15 minutes is good enough time...be patient...the train needs to be cleaned..

The railway companies should be doing every thing they can to ensure that passengers arrive on the train early and without a mad dash for it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

For example:

because it is then limits operational flexibility massively and reduces your redundancy not to mention increasing the potential for conflicting movements into and through the station throat.

Mr Spock

Indeed, your point about mobility impaired people is an excellent one - I frequently travel with my grandmother as she requires support when travelling and getting from Eustons concourse to 1 or 18 when she can't move properly, your on an advance ticket and the train leaves in 5 minutes isn't easy... Luckily I normally check the booked platform prior to going to the station so we always sit nearby the booked platform and 9/10 times it's correct.. They should really give out information sooner.

If you book assistance at Euston you get a ride to the platform and generally in advance of the platform being displayed on the boards.

krisk

Enthusiasts know best eh? When would you like a member of staff to have a break as I have to take mine out of view of customers ie when the train is in and between trips.

Twenty mins is the usual boarding time at Euston, dont see why its an issue

At least passengers await the platform to be displayed at Euston and other London Terminals. Unlike London Liverpool Street and the passengers just board the London to Norwich mainline trains when they arrive! I find it disgusting and the poor cleaners cant do their job without the nuisance of them boarding!

Geezertronic

Established Member
The railway companies should be doing every thing they can to ensure that passengers arrive on the train early and without a mad dash for it.

I would hardly call announcing a platform 15 minutes or even 10 minutes before departure a mad dash for it. Passengers can either reserve a seat in advance or take pot luck with getting a seat on that service or the one running 20 minutes later. As already mentioned, passengers with mobility issues can book assistance in advance and be taken to the train on a cart.

It's certainly not worse than boarding a plane for example, and reservations are mandatory there. But despite that, there is always a "mad dash for it"

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Why can people just not be patient

Possibly partly because at Euston there are almost no seats for waiting passengers. Having to stand for 15 minutes or so while you wait for your train to be announced isn't really very pleasant.
I doubt it would make much difference. I was recently watching a load of people queuing at the unstaffed (and locked) gate for a KLM Flight at Schiphol for about 20 minutes before the staff member arrived. She only opened the gate and started letting people through when the airside bus out to the Fokker Farm pulled up. And then it was a scrum to board the bus.

I have no idea why they were queuing and rushing given that A) they were boarding a bus and B) all seats on the aircraft are allocated at check in.

If it's a typical airside bus where there are vastly fewer seats than passengers, perhaps they were queuing/rushing to get a seat on the bus!
I would hardly call announcing a platform 15 minutes or even 10 minutes before departure a mad dash for it. Passengers can either reserve a seat in advance or take pot luck with getting a seat on that service or the one running 20 minutes later. As already mentioned, passengers with mobility issues can book assistance in advance and be taken to the train on a cart.

Maybe not 15 minutes, but 10 minutes is. Remember, at Euston, the distance from the concourse to most of the standard class seats on the train can easily take several minutes even for a healthy able-bodied person to walk. And with everyone trying to get on at once it can take several minutes more to get to your seat and find somewhere to put your luggage even once you've found the right coach.
Euston is an awful station in almost every respect and the sooner it is redeveloped the better.

Euston is certainly incredibly badly designed as far as passenger convenience is concerned. Not just the station, but also the bus station just outside, which has a very confusing layout and not much shelter for passengers, and then Euston Square being a separate station, which really ought to be integrated with Euston.

One change I'd love to see within the station would be to have the tracks extended so the platforms run under the concourse - that way, when your train is announced you don't have far to go to get to it. Though I suspect that would give some quite expensive/complex building works, especially with the underground station there.

At any rate I do hope when they rebuild the station for HS2, they'll think very carefully about how to make the whole station layout more convenient.

Last edited:

button_boxer

Established Member
If it's a typical airside bus where there are vastly fewer seats than passengers, perhaps they were queuing/rushing to get a seat on the bus!

Always amuses me when people queue to be the first one onto the bus, especially on airlines that don't pre-allocate seats. In that case the best place to be is surely the last person onto the first bus, so you're first onto the plane. Of course it's a gamble because if you just miss that and end up first onto the second bus then you're last onto the plane...

Nym

Established Member
If you book assistance at Euston you get a ride to the platform and generally in advance of the platform being displayed on the boards.

And not everyone with difficulty walking and/or other mobility issues wants to make use of assistance services and finds them entirely unhelpful.

krisk

So when is an acceptable boarding time on a train that has a half hour turnround then?

Wath Yard

Enthusiasts know best eh? When would you like a member of staff to have a break as I have to take mine out of view of customers ie when the train is in and between trips.

Twenty mins is the usual boarding time at Euston, dont see why its an issue

What an arrogant and condescending comment. You need a break - go and sprawl out in a staff mess room, not a 1st class carriage of a train. The passenger accommodation on trains is, surprisingly enough, for passengers.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Maybe not 15 minutes, but 10 minutes is. Remember, at Euston, the distance from the concourse to most of the standard class seats on the train can easily take several minutes even for a healthy able-bodied person to walk. And with everyone trying to get on at once it can take several minutes more to get to your seat and find somewhere to put your luggage even once you've found the right coach.

So what you are essentially saying is that, in the case of the current VT and the 390 fleet, the fleet is too small and the amount of trains has to double to accomodate an extended turnaround time due to 10-15 minutes being too short for people to board after the train has been serviced? And the amount of platform space at Euston presumably has to grow to accomodate more trains staying there for longer?

Or are you saying that trains should not be serviced upon arrival so passengers can effectively board at the same time as passengers getting off the incoming service?

Anvil1984

Established Member
What an arrogant and condescending comment. You need a break - go and sprawl out in a staff mess room, not a 1st class carriage of a train. The passenger accommodation on trains is, surprisingly enough, for passengers.

Again highly unfair. I used to be catering staff at XC and we used to have a 25 minute turnaround at Reading after travelling from Newcastle and returning. If the train was late you'd get less of a break / no break. Even in that 25 mins you barely had time to make it to the mess room, heat food up, eat it etc. So first class was only option other than the bus seats in the train managers office. Catering staff often don't get the long turnarounds that guards or drivers. Even though we weren't safety critcal even in cases like above if the train was 25 minutes late and were booked to come back with same set on a 25 minute turnaround we weren't allowed to get off at Oxford and use mess facilities there. The only time we could get.off early is if we were booked back on another set which we we going to miss.

I know I'm talking about another TOC but I wouldn't be surprised or the rules were the same

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
So when is an acceptable boarding time on a train that has a half hour turnround then?

Interesting question. If you're asking that as a very general question then - as a purely personal view, I'd have said for the kind of long distance services that Virgin runs from Euston, if there were adequate facilities for passengers to sit and wait in comfort very close to the train, then 10 minutes ought to be adequate. Euston obviously doesn't have such facilities - prior to boarding, passengers have to stand some considerable distance from the train, and bearing that in mind, I'd say it ought to be at least around 15 minutes.

By the way, don't get me wrong by the way, I think Virgin are doing the right thing by not letting people board until the train is ready, (though I'm not sure about not letting people wait on the platform). In a way everyone here is a victim of the unsuitability of facilities at Euston.
So what you are essentially saying is that, in the case of the current VT and the 390 fleet, the fleet is too small and the amount of trains has to double to accomodate an extended turnaround time due to 10-15 minutes being too short for people to board after the train has been serviced? And the amount of platform space at Euston presumably has to grow to accomodate more trains staying there for longer?

Or are you saying that trains should not be serviced upon arrival so passengers can effectively board at the same time as passengers getting off the incoming service?

No, I didn't say either of those. I don't have enough knowledge to know what the solution is. My guess is the cheapest way would be to find some way to let people wait on the platform while keeping the train locked until it's ready, and I think that's the solution I'd prefer (it would also have the bonus of freeing up a lot of space on the main concourse). Remodelling the station would probably be ideal, but obviously very expensive and there's arguably much better uses for the money. Longer turnaround times - I'm guessing that would require one or two more trains at most, certainly not doubling the numbers of trains. But again if more trains became available, I'd probably be the first to argue for using them to provide more trains somewhere, not keeping them waiting at Euston!

I certainly would not advocate not servicing trains on arrival.

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
No, I didn't say either of those. I don't have enough knowledge to know what the solution is. My guess is the cheapest way would be to find some way to let people wait on the platform while keeping the train locked until it's ready, and I think that's the solution I'd prefer (it would also have the bonus of freeing up a lot of space on the main concourse). Remodelling the station would probably be ideal, but obviously very expensive and there's arguably much better uses for the money. Longer turnaround times - I'm guessing that would require one or two more trains at most, certainly not doubling the numbers of trains. But again if more trains became available, I'd probably be the first to argue for using them to provide more trains somewhere, not keeping them waiting at Euston!

I certainly would not advocate not servicing trains on arrival.

Problem with letting people onto the platforms before the train is serviced is that they would be in the way of the vehicles that carry the stock to the trains for one - there are probably other safety reasons (in or outside of H&S). The way the station is at the moment, the less time people wait on the platform the better. If rumour is to believed, Euston would be remodelled with or without HS2 anyway (and well overdue it would be)

I'm no expert but assume you'd need more than one or two more trains, maybe one or two for the EBW services but services further afield would surely need more if dwell times were to increase.

krisk

Breaks dont work like that, some turns don't facilitate any time away from the train bar its turnround time.

Status
Not open for further replies.