• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bogged down Bridge on GWML - Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwmbwls

Construction Enquirer reports problems with the replacement of Gipsy Patch Lane Bridge:
"Contractor Alun Griffiths was edging the 4,260t replacement bridge into place when the two Osprey self-propelled transporters sank into the mud 30m short of their final position.

The contractor is now racing against time to solve the problem so it can reinstate rail journeys from Bristol to Wales which were disrupted when the original Gipsy Patch Lane rail bridge was demolished to make way for the weekend bridge replacement.

Two dozers were drafted in to try to shunt the transporters forward but these are understood to have failed to budge it.

Network Rail had said prior to the weekend it was due to reopen next Saturday, but the disruption is now expected to continue for longer than originally anticipated.

A South Gloucestershire Council spokesman said: “Despite detailed planning and preparation, our contractor, Network Rail, has encountered a significant issue moving the new 4,260-tonne Gipsy Patch Lane bridge into place.The bridge, which is already built, is being moved into position on a number of independent hydraulic transporters. Having successfully moved two-thirds of the way into place the bridge transporters are now stuck.Our focus, alongside Network Rail, is on resolving the issue so that the bridge can be moved into position. This is likely to take a number of days and will delay the reopening of the mainline.”

This is the first report I have read of such difficulties? Has this happened before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Normally these sort of transporters seem to be operated on a very well prepared temporary surface, often with steel plates on the running surface. I’d not heard of any massive failure due to sinking before, I’m sure it’s the sort of thing that would be highlighted by the normal media.

There was a local BBC report yesterday that referred to the transporters as “lorries” in the headline...

Veteran Member
I have vague recollections of bridge replacement jobs being "paused" but not due to mud. It was rather wet this past weekend...

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Of course the original construction of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway kept sinking into Chat Moss for months so it isn't exactly a new problem. (No multi-wheel transporter platforms in those days, just navvies carrying bundles of brushwood.)

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Attempts are being made to lower the bridge where it currently is after the transporter sank. This means that they are trying to create a tarmac runway for the bridge to be supported on in the interim and then slowly reload it back onto the transporters. However even if this is successful, it wouldn't be until Monday that the bridge is in place, with another week after that until the line reopens.

The attempt to dig out the earth around the transporter wasn't successful, so it must have been very wet indeed.

Last edited:

Mintona

Established Member
This would make Paddington 24/7 more interesting. I believe they've finished filming unfortunately.

Somebody was definitely filming on Wednesday evening at Paddington. I deliberately tried to walk across the shot at a distance :lol:

mwmbwls

Five ballasted heavy haulage vehicles and a dozer managed to drag the bridge carried on six transporters onto firmer ground yesterday.

The concrete bridge got stuck when its was being moved into position following the demolition of the original Gipsy Patch Lane rail bridge.

The Network Rail replacement project was due to be completed this weekend but is now set to overrun by several days disrupting rail services.
Job done - well done lads

Last edited by a moderator:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the overall support of the concrete structure has been seriously out of spec, could it be damaged or distorted?

1955LR

It will be interesting to see how long it will take for it to be actually positioned correctly.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The moves to get the bridge in position should all be completed by Sunday evening. South Wales services are diverted via Gloucester today and terminate at Bristol Parkway tomorrow with buses to Newport.

MackemPacer

For a trade publication, it's rather poor for such an in-accurate description used to described the image in the above post:

"Five fully-laden quarry wagons and a dozer managed to drag the bridge carried on six transporters onto firmer ground yesterday."

Strangest looking tippers I've ever seen. Although I must admit a rather nice lash-up of Alley's tractor units.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The possession has apparently been extended to Monday 23rd November.

QueensCurve

Established Member

Given the heavy rain which preceded the incident, even the supertalented weirdos and superforecasters of Downing St should have foreseen the need for a harder surface for the bridge move. To continue without was, in my view, rather negligent.

talltim

Established Member
They hitched it up with up with a bit of a fuss
To tractors, cars and the village bus
giant-jam-inside-5-590x393.jpg

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The bridge is now in position and the track and OLE are currently in the process of being installed. Earlier Monday morning is when the line is expected to reopen.

Taunton

Established Member
I've long known this bridge; it was a significant congestion point for road traffic even in the 1960s, when local housebuilding to the east and the two major aircraft works to the west were in full development. Very poor that it's taken another 50 years to install a replacement, which seems about 4 times the width. Very concerning to be a pedestrian going through.

Skie

Acres of room under that bridge!

2 bits in Merseyrail land: By Old Roan station

Just a bit further down the same stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.