• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bolton - Blackpool (all stations) day return ticket valid for break of journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Bolton - Blackpool (all stations) day return; I want to get on at Horwich and alight at Poulton Le Fylde; then return Blackpool - Bolton as per ticket.

Can I get on @ Horwich?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it a Bolton to Blackpool North Off Peak Day Return (CDR) that you hold?

There is no break of journey restriction on this ticket.

Howardh

Established Member
That's the one I intend to buy, yes.

Thanks for the info!

Just out of interest; is Poulton Le Fylde considered one of Blackpools "all stations"? As an aside, the plus-bus maps aren't particularly clear as to exactly where they start/end, although clearly my trip will extend beyond the zone so I will be buying an all-day bus/tram ticket to cover Fleetwood. Those can be bought on the bus I read. Handy!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... is Poulton Le Fylde considered one of Blackpools "all stations"?
There isn't an "all stations"; each station is a destination in its own right.

Last I heard there was some sort of (informal?) agreement to accept tickets to Blackpool North at Blackpool South though, but I am not aware of anything in writing.
As an aside, the plus-bus maps aren't particularly clear as to exactly where they start/end, although clearly my trip will extend beyond the zone so I will be buying an all-day bus/tram ticket to cover Fleetwood. Those can be bought on the bus I read. Handy!!
http://www.plusbus.info/blackpool-s if you click the "interactive street map" it's very detailed.

Howardh

Established Member
On the Northern ticket booking, it states "Blackpool (any)" as an option; which I have just chosen - however it's printed out "Blackpool North" but I assume therefore it's valid for South as well?

Thanks for the plusbus link, I'll bookmark that, it's certainly much better than the maps I've seen offered!

EDIT _ using that map I can see that the Bolton plusbus covers a huge area including Wigan; must be one of the best value tickets around, it's actually cheaper (£2.70) than one single 2 mile bus journey (£2.80)!!

Last edited:

AnkleBoots

If you can find someone with spare Reach Media/Johnson Press tokens, this journey can be done for £10.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On the Northern ticket booking, it states "Blackpool (any)" as an option; which I have just chosen - however it's printed out "Blackpool North"
That's odd. Presumably it's a feature their suppliers have added for journey planning purposes, to allow a search for itineraries to either of the two stations in Blackpool.

But there is no Blackpool Stations Group and hasn't been for decades.
but I assume therefore it's valid for South as well?
Last I heard there was some sort of (informal?) agreement to accept tickets to Blackpool North at Blackpool South though, but I am not aware of anything in writing.

Perhaps some of the Northern Guards on this forum might work the line and be able to shed some light on this...

There are previous threads on the subject https://www.google.com/search?clien...ool+north+south+tickets+site:railforums.co.uk

Howardh

Established Member
That's odd. Presumably it's a feature their suppliers have added for journey planning purposes, to allow a search for itineraries to either of the two stations in Blackpool.
But there is no Blackpool Stations Group and hasn't been for decades.
Perhaps some of the Northern Guards on this forum might work the line and be able to shed some light on this...
There are previous threads on the subject https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&channel=trow&q=blackpool+north+south+tickets+site:railforums.co.uk

https://imgur.com/uO3w1P3
Shows Blackpool (all) as an option.
Is there any difference between "all" and "any" as I think I quoted "any" earlier?

I actually find it surprising there isn't a Blackpool all stations ticket; would seem to make sense as there's Manchester central zone (all stations) even with the Metro link. Be perfect for Blackpool as shortly the tram will connect Blackpool North with the stations on the southern line via the promenade (OK, a short walk to those).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
https://imgur.com/uO3w1P3
Shows Blackpool (all) as an option.
Is there any difference between "all" and "any" as I think I quoted "any" earlier?
Either way, it doesn't exist as a destination location.
I actually find it surprising there isn't a Blackpool all stations ticket....
I agree; my review remains unchanged that it should not have been abolished. It appears to have been done for purely accountancy reasons and ignoring the needs of passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.