• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bootle signal box

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomc1627

hello all looking for some information about, Bootle signal box (Cumbria) as I have an interview on Friday and Hr were unwilling to share any information

I’m looking for shift patterns, what tocs run through there well really any information as Iv searched google to no avail

Thanks in advance leo

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Other information that might be handy is the method of signalling (at Bootle it’s absolute block) and the fringe (neighbouring) signal boxes (at Bootle they’re at Drigg and Silecroft I believe) for basics
Best of luck :)

leomc1627

Other information that might be handy is the method of signalling (at Bootle it’s absolute block) and the fringe (neighbouring) signal boxes (at Bootle they’re at Drigg and Silecroft I believe) for basics
Best of luck :)

Thanks for the help your a star

mac

hello all looking for some information about, Bootle signal box (Cumbria) as I have an interview on Friday and Hr were unwilling to share any information

I’m looking for shift patterns, what tocs run through there well really any information as Iv searched google to no avail

Thanks in advance leo

Why do you need to no all this? They will not ask about any of it at interview, you have applied for a signalling job so will be working covering up to 24 hours, tocs make no different to you all you are there for is to keep the job running not look at the name on the side

leomc1627

Why do you need to no all this? They will not ask about any of it at interview, you have applied for a signalling job so will be working covering up to 24 hours, tocs make no different to you all you are there for is to keep the job running not look at the name on the side

Thank you for the advice

Tomnick

Established Member
They seem like sensible things to research before an interview, something to show that you've made the effort when they ask what you know about the job and the location. The shift pattern in particular - I doubt there's a regular night shift down there. Better to show that you've looked into what the job involves and whether you think you're well suited to the shiftwork before the interview rather than just turning up clueless?

jdxn

What terrible advice. Yes the NR interviews are structured around the non-technical skills, but they will probably ask about what you know of the job and it may give you the background to ask ask a sensible question. "I see that most of the traffic are Northern passenger services; is there much freight traffic on that line?" for instance. Know about the lifesaving rules, and Network Rail corporate goals, digital railway goals. Yes the digital railway is probably years away from that location but it shows that you have done your research into the company.

Its better to have that research in your head and not use it, than be floundering about the company or the job. PM me if you would like any further advice.

Blakes

How was the interview? Hope it went well for you.

Bootle (Cumbria) is my home village! When I was a kid we used to go and see the signalbox person and he'd let us open and close the gates for him, pull the levers for the signals, and use the 'morse code thing' to communicate with the neighbouring boxes. This was like nearly 30 years ago, before you'd get sacked for such a thing!

I believe you get time and half on Sundays now that the Sunday service is running. Unless the guy my father was talking to was on overtime!

Blakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.