Borders Railway - Now Open

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by PaxVobiscum, 8 Feb 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HowardGWR

HowardGWR Established Member

Yes FeggUK, thanks, but does anyone know the answer to my question please?

Interesting what someone did to my perfectly valid English and non-abusive word. I wondered whether that was automatic?

2. michael769

michael769 Established Member

You are correct that the word haugh is sometimes anglicized to hall in Scottish placenames, however that is not the case here. Hall is also a Scots word in its own right referring to large houses or castles.

In this case the name comes from Fountainhall House, formerly known as Penkaet Castle, it's name was changed around 1685 by Sir John Lauder. Fountainhall literally means "large house near the spring", and at the time a string spring was indeed known to exist somehwre in the area, probably near the house. Some years earlier Charles II had granted substantial lands in the area to Sir John's father, and with Sir John talking he name Lord Fountainhall in later years this led to the area becoming known as Fountainhall.

For those interested there is a guide to Scots placemens at: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docs/ebooks/guide-to-scots-origins-of-place-names.pdf.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2013
  3. railjock

railjock Member

4. onyxcrowle

onyxcrowle Member

Bridge is to be installed f3b 2014

5. PaxVobiscum

PaxVobiscum Established Member

Interesting. The Fountainhall area of Aberdeen however was originally 'Fountain Haugh'.
    http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/FountainhallHouse.htm

6. HowardGWR

Thanks for the interesting reply, but seeing the reply from PaxNobiscum, I wonder if it's just that Sir John Lauder did the *******isation of 'haugh'. After all the 'fountain' is the spring and he could have meant the very common local word for low lying place but it got spelt as hall? Just a thought. :D

7. michael769

michael769 Established Member

It is possible. But the landed gentry of the time would speak the same language as the English upper classes (primarily English with a smattering of Norman French and Latin). I would personally doubt that the use of a Scots term would occur to someone like that, and the area was already known as Pencaitland at the time.

(For the avoidance of confusion I am talking about a different Fountainhall to PaxVorbiscum, mine is in the Lothians http://www.scottish-places.info/features/featurefirst1061.html)

Last edited: 16 Dec 2013
  8. HowardGWR

Talking of Latin, I see neither of us spelt PaxVobiscum correctly so perhaps that proves how names get altered! :D

9. PaxVobiscum

Type out 10 'PaxVobiscums'.
    Te absolvo.

10. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    ......Et cum spiritu tuo.

11. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

Drove past Newton/Millerhill twice yesterday,TTL's on the road to the junction with the wee roundabout.Looks like they have one side (Northbound lane -- toward Niddrie) dug up a section at a few meters length.

12. railjock

railjock Member

Good aerial picture of the city bypass work in the Midlothian Advertiser.

http://www.midlothianadvertiser.co....r-down-the-line-for-borders-railway-1-3243248
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It clearly shows the deviation of the new route from Kings Gate to Millerhill to allow Shawfair stationto be built. The old route runs along the top left of the picture.

13. snowball

snowball Established Member

Wow! They've made spectacular progress with the bridge in the three months or so since the road diversion opened. It looks substantially finished, structurally speaking.

14. HowardGWR

Please tell me that is not a single line tunnel box for the new line??? From the height it is difficult to judge.

15. clc

clc Member

I'm fairly sure that section of the line is double track.

16. route:oxford

route:oxford Established Member

Clearer pic:-

Attached Files:

17. railjock

railjock Member

Looks double track width to me.

18. jnty

jnty Member

It ought to be, given that the plans clearly show they're hoping to fit two tracks under it...

19. railjock

railjock Member

That's a relief then. :)

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Established Member

The next phase of work in that area is described in the Edinburgh Evening News at http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/section-of-a6106-to-close-for-six-months-1-3255755

It's encouraging to read that the tunnelling work is ahead of schedule and reinstatement of the A720 City By-Pass will be completed by April at the latest.

An extract:

21. HowardGWR

I am afraid we BG types have an image of a tunnel size that is very different to what is in that photo!:D

Thus my error.

22. Tobbes

Tobbes Member

I presume that they mean the tunnel will be 130ft long..... :idea:

Tobbes

23. PaxVobiscum

Depends whether you are thinking from a motorist's point of view. :D

24. snowball

The reason the tunnel is so long is to allow for slip roads in the event of a flyover or underpass being built in the future at the nearby Sheriffhall road junction.

25. railjock

railjock Member

Shame they couldn't have such foresight on some of the single track bridges they are building.

26. OxtedL

OxtedL Established Member Quizmaster

Yes, if only they'd left provision for four tracking for when they eventually need to run two trains an hour all day! :roll:

27. HowardGWR

I don't think that is very amusing at all. I agree with the criticism of lack of foresight.

28. snowball

Does anyone please know:

How many new bridges of single track width are they building (not counting old refurbished structures)?

How many of these are overbridges?

I've looked at parts of the plans but it would take a long time to check every one.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2014
  29. OxtedL

OxtedL Established Member Quizmaster

You're going to need some pretty rapid population growth to need complete doubling any time in the foreseeable future.

It may be a lack of foresight, but if they are indeed building single track bridges then that's because there's a limit to what you can expect those in charge to foresee (and to fore-pay-for) when running a line through some pretty empty countryside towards some fairly modest populations, which is I hope you'll agree an accurate description of the line south of Gorebridge.

30. route:oxford

route:oxford Established Member

Lack of foresight is why the route between Alloa and Stirling is just single track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.