• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Borders Railway - Now Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER158715

All the original 158s that Scotrail have ie in First colours, have brackets for RETB. None are permanently fitted with CDUs. So although uncommon, they do appear from time to time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I'm in the borderlands on Monday, are there any test trains running at the moment?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Thanks. Tweedbank not autocompleting on my browser so I didn't think the line was wired for RTT yet!
'New' locations (passenger or freight) don't autocomplete on RTT;
you have to either enter the full name, or alternatively just the first
few letters and then select from a list.

So if you enter Tweed[submit], you get five choices, including Tweedbank.

MARK

Mark62

I don't think its unreasonable to expect Scotrail to make sure the Borders Railway gets of to a good start by having the refurbished trains that were promised, so that peoples experience of travel on the new railway is a good as it can be. It important that it gets of to a flying start something the Campaign for Borders Rail is keen it see happen for obvious reasons. People in the Highlands will have to put up with the trains they havie been happy to use until very recently for a few more months. It is not as if they are getting a rail replacement bus service that the Borders has had for the last 47 years.

Most of what is in the Scotmas article is an attempt to create a story out of nothing and spice it with rent a quotes from the usual axe grinders seeking to make some political capital out of nothing however cheaply.

This is very true. The line is already under scrutiny with many quite rightly saying that it's going to struggle to fill the trains that will run on a 30 min interval. The worst thing to do would be to run awful pacers on the route. Could you imagine the publicity. Therefore it's quite correct to give them 158s.
Wasn't their some public badklask when scotrail started running loco hauled sets last year. Didn't some complain ( from Glenrothes I expect) that these trains didn't have nice clean carpets!!!
So if they complain about superior coaching stock I'm not sure how they'd cope with a daily run on a pacer or a 153.

najaB

Veteran Member
The worst thing to do would be to run awful pacers on the route. Could you imagine the publicity. Therefore it's quite correct to give them 158s.
The line was always intended to be run using 158s. The non-issue being discussed here is which 158s they are getting. There was never any intention to run Pacers or 153s on the line - if only because Scotrail don't have any!

cjt0131

what is the seating capacity on the 158s which will run ?

am I right in thinking its about 70-75 per carriage

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-33668904
An 87-year-old who campaigned to bring a railway line back to the Borders has become one of the first passengers to travel on the new service.

Madge Elliot and family members took a trip on the Borders Railway line, which opens to the public on 6 September.

The new railway will restore passenger services from Edinburgh to Tweedbank for the first time since 1969.

Mrs Elliot fought to save the Waverley Line between Edinburgh, Hawick and Carlisle before it closed in the 1960s.

She led a petition to keep the line open and in 1968 - along with son Kim and MP David Steel - hand-delivered it to Harold Wilson, the prime minister at the time.

However, her efforts were unsuccessful and the line closed on 6 January 1969.

In 1999 she helped found the Campaign for Borders Rail, a grassroots group which pushed for the restoration of rail services to the Scottish Borders.

In June this year a locomotive was named after her to mark her efforts.

The rail link was restored after a deal was agreed between Transport Scotland and Network Rail in 2012.

On Sunday, Mrs Elliot and her family travelled from Tweedbank to Newcraighall and back during driver training.

Her elder son Kim said: "We're delighted to be among the first people to travel on the new Borders line as this railway is so important to our family.

"Experiencing the route first-hand is something we've all been looking forward to since the Borders Railway deal was concluded in 2012 and it's great to see my mother being honoured for the role she played in the re-opening of the line."

Infrastructure Secretary Keith Brown said: "It was a real privilege for me to meet Madge when we named a locomotive in her honour and to put her forward to experience the route before it opens.

"Madge Elliot is a legend of the Borders and the railways, and it is absolutely fitting that she be the first member of the public to travel on this line as she was so instrumental in having it reinstated.

"We're now only weeks away from seeing what will be a truly historic event in the opening of the Borders Railway, with all of the benefits that will bring, and I look forward to joining Madge and the rest of the Borders, Midlothian and Edinburgh communities for that celebration."

fsmr

More positive noises about the project from the Scottish government who now really see the route as major tourism asset which if extended as many are now pushing to Carlisle could be an incredible draw

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-33688052
Tourism Minister Fergus Ewing has said he expects "enormous" interest in the new Borders Railway and has not ruled out extending the line.

He was speaking during a visit to the Scottish Borders to look at ways to maximise the benefits of the route.

Mr Ewing said he had "no doubt" the line between Edinburgh and Tweedbank would provide a major tourism boost.

The multi-million pound route is scheduled to reopen to passenger trains on 6 September.

Mr Ewing said he believed the project had the potential to "spread wealth and jobs" in the areas it passes through.

"We are just a few weeks away from the opening of the new Borders Railway," he said.

"The interest in that event will be enormous and it will be sustained because everybody will want a shot on the new railway.

"I think it will kind of open up the whole Borders area."

'Grab opportunity'

He said it could "captivate interest" among individuals and businesses to visit or relocate to the region.

"I have got no doubt as tourism minister that the Borders Railway will be one of the most exciting and most effective events and transport services that there has ever been for tourism," he said.

Mr Ewing added that the line might eventually run beyond Tweedbank.

"There may well be a strong case for the further extension of the new Borders Railway, I certainly would not rule that out," he said.

"Let's make the most first of the railway that we are about to see reopened - let's make sure that we grab every opportunity.

"I think, in a sense, the more effective and the more successful the Borders Railway is when it reopens, the stronger the case will be to extend it further in future times to come."

South of Scotland Lib Dem MSP Jim Hume said he wanted to see a stronger commitment to taking the line to Hawick and, eventually, Carlisle.

"Almost every week we're seeing experts, agencies and even government ministers shouting about the benefits the line to Tweedbank will bring to communities in the Borders," he said.

"There is no doubt that an extension on to Hawick and beyond makes good socio-economic sense.

"But the Scottish government needs to ditch its 'wait and see' policy for a more proactive approach by committing to a feasibility study."

route:oxford

Established Member
More positive noises about the project from the Scottish government who now really see the route as major tourism asset which if extended as many are now pushing to Carlisle could be an incredible draw

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-33688052

A service taking the scenic route between Leeds and Edinburgh via the Settle & Carlisle and Borders Rail?

I think that would work. There is a clear and distinctive market for both segments as well as the full trip - then the benefit of one stock order for the service using a mix of "scenic stock" for upgrading with a premium and regular stock to provide standard passenger services on the route.

me123

Established Member
A service taking the scenic route between Leeds and Edinburgh via the Settle & Carlisle and Borders Rail?

Would the journey time on the service be competitive enough to run alongside the existing frequent service via the ECML? It's about 3 hours direct on XC. The S&C alone is 2h50, plus whatever the journey time is to Edinburgh (it's an hour between Tweedbank and Edinburgh alone, so you're well in excess of the four hour point here).

It would be an option for tourists to consider, certainly. But without a competitive end-to-end journey time for more regular users, I can't see it being overly well used. Perhaps a cheaper "Route: Carlisle" ticket would draw the price conscious as well as tourists, but even then I'm not so sure it's a viable proposal.

By contrast, Leeds-Glasgow via S&C is much more competitive. It's up to 4h30 via the WCML and S&C. In fact, if you used Voyagers (or other tilting stock), it'd be on a par with the route via Edinburgh.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Would the journey time on the service be competitive enough to run alongside the existing frequent service via the ECML? It's about 3 hours direct on XC. The S&C alone is 2h50, plus whatever the journey time is to Edinburgh (it's an hour between Tweedbank and Edinburgh alone, so you're well in excess of the four hour point here).

It would make a great land cruise (especially with steam haulage!), and wouldn't get in the way of anything faster on the main lines. However on its own it wouldn't be anywhere near enough to justify re-opening however many miles from Carlisle to Tweedbank.

Manchester77

Established Member
The BBC video that is on the BBC News Site about the boarders railway refers to concerns over the trains reliability; surely this is a silly concern since the sprinters which will be operating the route already operate across Scotland?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The BBC video that is on the BBC News Site about the boarders railway refers to concerns over the trains reliability; surely this is a silly concern since the sprinters which will be operating the route already operate across Scotland?

They've probably been reading the discussion here about 158s on EMT...

NotATrainspott

Established Member

Not another Queen opening, could they really not think of any one else after the ire over the Southern General naming and opening

najaB

Veteran Member
The original date was 4th September. Is there a reason for this late change?
Are the "specials" still running on 5th September?
As it says in the linked news story: "She will carry out the ceremony on 9 September where she will be joined by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon on a steam journey along the route. The first passenger services are due to run along the line a few days earlier."

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
The original date was 4th September. Is there a reason for this late change?

The 9th of September is also the date when Elizabeth II becomes the longest-reigning monarch in the history of the British Isles.

Both events are very historic?

QUOTE from BBC Website "Buckingham Palace has calculated that Queen Victoria reigned for 23,226 days, 16 hours and 23 minutes, taking into account 63 years, 15 leap days and the precise timings of her accession and death.

Mr Brown said: "The people of the Borders and Midlothian have waited almost half a century to see the return of their railway and it is fitting that these two such historic events coincide.

"This will be a double celebration and we are also ensuring that the people who have campaigned, worked hard and shown such patience throughout this process are able to play a full part in the celebrations, with a separate day dedicated just to them." End quote"

Last edited:

cjt0131

I note with interest that the galashiels interchange is to officially open tomorrow

"an empty building"

only one business so far as opted to go in "to run the café"--which I am sure will be excellent quality but it may be price prohibitive for many users of the facility

SBC has really fallen behind in its preparation for the coming of the railway to the region

route:oxford

Established Member
I note with interest that the galashiels interchange is to officially open tomorrow

"an empty building"

only one business so far as opted to go in "to run the café"--which I am sure will be excellent quality but it may be price prohibitive for many users of the facility

SBC has really fallen behind in its preparation for the coming of the railway to the region

How can you possibly judge whether a cafe will be "price prohibitive" for people of and visitors to Gala before it even opens?

Utterly bizarre.

cjt0131

How can you possibly judge whether a cafe will be "price prohibitive" for people of and visitors to Gala before it even opens?

Utterly bizarre.

not bizarre at all

the business which will be running the café already operates elsewhere

there is no doubt they offer excellent quality and I would imagine to protect their name they will continue to do so
they are not cheap and considering the rent and service charges that are to be applied to the premises I cant see their prices being low

maybe ok for cash rich tourists---but is the railway really going to attract them

so yes I believe I can judge and say that to most people it will be price prohibitive

I notice you don't comment on my remarks about SBC maybe you are not local and not so up on local matters

the railway MUST work for local people or it will not work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.