• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bought ticket on forum not given ticket for full journey

joebassman

I bought a return ticket from Stowmarket to London Liverpool Street. However, even though on the email it says from Liverpool Street to Stowmarket changing at Stratford for the return, on the eticket it only says from Stratford to Stowmarket. When I asked at the ticket office they said I had to buy a ticket from London Liverpool street to Stratford as the one I purchased on the forum is not for the full journey.

I selected Stowmarket to Liverpool street return when purchasing on the forum, so why I have I only been given a ticket for part of the journey for the return?

The booking ref is:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I bought a return ticket from Stowmarket to London Liverpool Street. However, even though on the email it says from Liverpool Street to Stowmarket changing at Stratford for the return, on the eticket it only says from Stratford to Stowmarket. When I asked at the ticket office they said I had to buy a ticket from London Liverpool street to Stratford as the one I purchased on the forum is not for the full journey.

I selected Stowmarket to Liverpool street return when purchasing on the forum, so why I have I only been given a ticket for part of the journey for the return?

The booking ref is:
I've removed the ticket collection code from your post as anyone could go and collect the ticket with it.

I suggest contacting Trainsplit directly about this, the staff are very helpful.

OscarH

I agree with the advice to contact support. I know why this has happened, and I believe it should now no longer happen for new bookings. It relates to a link in the industry data between Liverpool Street and Stratford of a mode which usually should not be ticketed, but in this case should be as it's there for when engineering work closes the NR line, and tickets not usually valid on the tube are accepted there.

The data is a bit of a bodge - ideally it wouldn't be permanent, and would instead be added as a dated link just for engineering days (I believe it's cited the engineering work is too often, it makes this too much work), and having a mode which is sometimes ticketed and sometimes not is clearly completely unusable (adding a new mode would unfortunately take a very long time, the industry is not quick with this type of change).

It has been discussed that a "tube" link would work better here in theory because of interavailability rules, but there are some retail systems that don't support interavailability properly, so they don't want to do that, and keep the ambiguous state instead.

infobleep

Veteran Member

Haywain

Veteran Member
Well there was an 8 digit alphanumeric code that to my untrained eye looked like a ToD code, so I wasn’t taking any chances!
Some retailers give such reference numbers for all bookings, while other only give them for ToD.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well there was an 8 digit alphanumeric code that to my untrained eye looked like a ToD code, so I wasn’t taking any chances!
The reference the OP gave was an 8 digit ToD-style alphanumeric code, which I believe the forum's ticketing site (as a TrainSplit derivative) uses as the booking reference - even for transactions fulfilled by e-ticket.

Some retailers give such reference numbers for all bookings, while other only give them for ToD.
Spot on.

Adam Williams

Established Member
The reference the OP gave was an 8 digit ToD-style alphanumeric code, which I believe the forum's ticketing site (as a TrainSplit derivative) uses as the booking reference - even for transactions fulfilled by e-ticket.
This is correct.

I don't particularly like it, and it may well end up changing.

joebassman

Trainsplit have agreed to refund the cost of the ticket I had to purchase from Liverpool Street to Stratford as a goodwill gesture.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Veteran Member
Trainsplit have agreed to refund the cost of the ticket I had to purchase from Liverpool Street to Stratford as a goodwill gesture.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks for letting us know. Not that I am surprised :)