• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bought wrong ticket type - £103 fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew749

On railcards without an upper age limit or a need to prove ongoing entitlement, there should be an option to auto-renew.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spag23

On Moderation
All that will lead to is threads on "How do I refund my auto renewed Railcard that I don't need"
I am sure they could include in any auto-renew process a warning email or text a few weeks in advance.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
We have all become accustomed to these issuers sending a reminder near the expiry date, or any expired card being rejected at the beginning of an attempted transaction.
Railcards are unique in that the issuer knows the expiry date and all the customer's details, but chooses to neither send a renewal reminder nor carry out a simple validity check.
I think that renewal reminders have actually been restarted: I have a 'two days to expire' reminder email for our Two Together Railcard from August this year (bought online for a physical plastic card).

My understanding is that the reminders only went away to discourage renewal at the height of Covid, when government's preference was that people shouldn't be travelling unnecessarily - and no doubt to minimise the number of people asking for a refund on the Railcard they had bought but not used.

Sm5

All that will lead to is threads on "How do I refund my auto renewed Railcard that I don't need"
Surely thats better than constant threads saying i’m facing a life altering criminal record for under paying my fare by £2.

jamiearmley

Im pretty sure a fix for this problem is on the way.
That's great to hear.

As a 'commercial guard' who spends a disproportionate amount of time dealing with, and rectifying, tickets with railcard discounts where the railcard is : expired/ doesn't exist/ at home/ a picture of same/ a screenshot with a altered date/a screenshot with an altered photo : etc - and despite my approach being one of respect, and conciliation- this cannot come soon enough.

Railcard fraud is endemic.

Anything to reduce this cannot be a bad thing.

Thankyou!

londonbridge

Established Member
Agree, I know when my debit card expires because it’s the one I use most often, but I can’t tell you when my credit card expires without looking at it.

AdamWW

Established Member
At Piccadilly, tickets are now scanned even at the manned barriers - the staff appear to have an Android app to do it.

I think the only time I have ever been asked to show a railcard at barriers (as opposed to on a train) is at Picadilly.

I'll plead guilty to not having had my railcard handy ready to show...but I really wasn't expecting it.

WoodHillsian

I think that renewal reminders have actually been restarted: I have a 'two days to expire' reminder email for our Two Together Railcard from August this year (bought online for a physical plastic card).

My understanding is that the reminders only went away to discourage renewal at the height of Covid, when government's preference was that people shouldn't be travelling unnecessarily - and no doubt to minimise the number of people asking for a refund on the Railcard they had bought but not used.
Yes they have - I received a reminder email for my Senior Railcard yesterday - 4 weeks before its' expiry date.

island

Veteran Member
As a 'commercial guard' who spends a disproportionate amount of time dealing with, and rectifying, tickets with railcard discounts where the railcard is : expired/ doesn't exist/ at home/ a picture of same/ a screenshot with a altered date/a screenshot with an altered photo : etc - and despite my approach being one of respect, and conciliation- this cannot come soon enough.

Railcard fraud is endemic.
You forgot the "AZTEC code is unscannable because someone has installed an app that overlays their screen to make it appear cracked" :E

methecooldude

You forgot the "AZTEC code is unscannable because someone has installed an app that overlays their screen to make it appear cracked" :E
Ok, I'm quite technically minded... but this exists? That's quite genius to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.