Boundary Zone tickets

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Bletchleyite, 8 Nov 2018.

1. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Do I recall rightly that the Network Railcard minimum fare does not apply to these?

Is there anywhere they can be purchased online? Trying to avoid a silly argument with Marylebone booking office.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Gerald Fiennes

Gerald Fiennes Member

a) No
    b) No, but you can buy a ticket from the station closest to the boundary from a web-retailer and it will be valid as you hold a zonal ticket. It may be slightly more expensive (£1 or so in extreme cases) than a pure 'boundary zone x' ticket.
    c) MYB arguments: they are normally pretty good in my experience, it's just the queue to get to talk to them that is the issue!

4. nickswift99

nickswift99 Member

Minimum fare applies to all tickets (£13.10) except Anytime Day Travelcards (£18.10) and there's other exceptions around IoW travel.

There is no minimum fare on an Annual Gold Card except Anytime Day Travelcards.

5. Belperpete

Belperpete Member

Not directly related to your query, but I once bought a Zone 6 boundary to Bluebell Railway inclusive ticket. I was expecting a blank look from the ticket office (East Croydon), but the guy sold me it no problem. And the Bluebell accepted it, even though it was a Gala Day. Motto: don't underestimate the guys in the booking office.

However, it would be good if the boundary zone tickets could be bought on-line. I suspect that they aren't because there isn't much demand - which might be because their existence is not exactly well advertised! It might also be because of the potential to use them fraudulently (without having the requisite travelcard).

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Cheers all. I think the reason I was remembering wrongly related to off-peak validity on BZ tickets out of Paddington rather than Network Railcards. The ticket office staff at MYB were very polite in correcting my error, though.

Sadly Chiltern have switched to the rubbish big screen ticket machines which don't do them (SWR's S&B ones do).

Quite outrageously priced, though, being based on a Tube cash single rather than the Oyster fare. I do understand the desire to reduce paper ticket use, but short of using the Met and getting off to touch in I couldn't exactly use Oyster!

7. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

It will be because online tickets are almost always sold with an itinerary and it isn't possible to create one for a non-existent location.

8. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

ATOS MixingDeck doesn't insist on selling tickets in conjunction with a particular itinerary, though they do always require you to be able to generate an itinerary to sell a ticket.

9. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

Worldline don't either. They'll be the almost bit.

10. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

As a point of note, Chiltern's previous TVMs (Shere/Worldline FAST) didn't have "remote origin" enabled either, so there's no change in functionality there.