• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bourdon Dot Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstmatt

Hello,
I have a Assessment day next week with Virgin Trains for an apprentice train driver, and I've spent the last two days going over the dot test.
I found that I was omitting too many targets on my first few attempts however this was taking the test just after doing an eight hour shift.
I have taken then test again today, when I am less tired and got these results:

Overall Statistics:
-------------------

Perception & Attention:

Targets Omitted ------------ 6
Marked Incorrect ----------- 2

Speed:

Total Cells ---------------- 1011
Mean Cell Time ------------- 0.385
Median Cell Time ----------- 0.300

Completed Rows ------------- 37
Mean Row Time -------------- 9.734
Median Row Time ------------ 9.480

Vigilance:

Row Fluctuation ------------ 7.24

I know I'll have to do a lot more practice, but are these results good, or should I be aiming for higher?
I am aware that the actual pass/fail grades are not visible online.
Another question, I understand you can only take the dot test twice? Does this mean if I failed it twice in the application to a drivers role, that I could not take it for a guards role?
Thanks
Matthew.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pepperami

The test is not just to measure how FAST your able to do it, much more emphasis is on the accuracy

If you miss a couple its no big deal, but if you get a couple wrong, then that counts more negatively on the final score

Work at your own pace, yes I would encourage you to practice, but not over do it, 30 mins a day is more than sufficient, work at a pace your comfortable with. after a few days you will notice if there is a difference in accuracy, and accuracy is what they are looking for at the end of the day, no good knocking out the sheets at a rate of knots if your getting loads wrong :)

If you can print the sheets out, give them to your wife/girlfriend/mate and have them start the test for you, say TURN when you need to start a new one, so its actually like a classroom based test, that would be better

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
I know I'll have to do a lot more practice, but are these results good, or should I be aiming for higher?

0/0 is your target.

Sloooooow right down and aim for 0/0 then as your practising you increase your speed but maintain accuracy.

Kev.

hstmatt,

As already suggested mate, slow down and go for accuracy is the best bit of advice there is for this test.

When I did it I only got down to line 10 on every sheet and got a enhanced pass.

Good luck mate

E&W Lucas

Established Member
The acceptable number of errors on the real test is in the very low single figure range. Very low indeed. I echo what others have said to you.
BTW practice after work is a good idea. Drivers still have to function at the end of a long shift!

hstmatt

Thanks for the help everyone! I've been told my assesment is on paper rather than on a computer, does this make is any easier?
Not going to lie, I've been really nervous the last two days, so worried of messing my chances up!

Aivilo

It will be on paper and it's kinda different strokes for different folks.

I would practice on paper just so it's familiar

Sig01

All I can say is practice!
A year or so ago I attended a gtr assessment day and that is the only thing I failed on at that stage, I was 100% accurate but not fast enough with the dots.
****ed the rest until I was sent home. Plus I attended after a week of nights so didn't realise how much I should have prepared.
Good luck to you, make sure you're prepared for all the tests!

1986deano

I just printed off copies of the test from Google images they were not the best quality and very small but I just cracked on with it and practiced hard from what I had.. come the day it mattered the sheets what got put on the table and the dots were huge compared to what I was practicing on and if I'm honest found it a lot easier as instead of really concentrating on small dots these dots was in my face!!! I know different ways to practice works for others but this way really helped me!! Good luck mate!!

hstmatt

Thanks for the help everyone! I've got a Bop It to assist with my reactions, as well as spent the last three days practicing all day.
Just a quick question, apart from the Dot Test program and the booklet I got sent to me, does anyone know of any other programs or sources that could help me?
Thanks a lot! :)
Matthew

Shrimper

Not sure how much bop-it will help now that the bell/buzzer reactions test no longer exists - the current reaction tests is staring at a grey square for 30 minutes and pressing a button when it changes to a darker shade of grey. Possibly the longest 30 minutes of my life!

(Incidentally, to reassure anyone, if you do hit the button by mistake you don't automatically fail. I did twice and still passed).

Kev.

Thanks for the help everyone! I've got a Bop It to assist with my reactions, as well as spent the last three days practicing all day.
Just a quick question, apart from the Dot Test program and the booklet I got sent to me, does anyone know of any other programs or sources that could help me?
Thanks a lot! :)
Matthew

Matt, I got my hands on a BOP-IT when I was going through the assessment process and if I'm honest I was absolutely awful on it and I still passed.

hstmatt

I've reached 100 (Highest score) on the Bop It twice which has helped, I'm just trying to do the tests over and over again for accuracy and speed
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just another question regarding the paper dot test...are the dots on the sheet in boxes? I'm currently practicing on print outs off a program, but the dots are not in boxes.

hstmatt

Thats brill, just that on the practice which is just print outs off the computer, the gaps are really small and it can get confusing which dot is from which :)

JIMBOfred

I've got tests with virgin this week aswell. Some of the tests seem quite daunting in the booklet. Can practice the gbd test but not sure what I can do to practice for the others.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This is my best so far after about an hour of practicing today:

omitted - 5
incorrect - 2

Total cells - 1256

Completed rows - 47

Fluctuation - 3.42

Status
Not open for further replies.