• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bow Road to Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian1944

From Bow Road to Waterloo mainline, the options are District to Embankment then Bakerloo or Northern, or District to Westminster then Jubilee. Is one of the three any easier than the others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Additional options include taking advantage of the cross-platform interchange at Mile End from the District onto the Central, then taking the Waterloo & City to Bank.

Alternatively, consider the Jubilee from West Ham.

If you want to go right into central London then I'd recommend the interchange at Embankment; the Jubilee interchange at Westminster is poor, especially the interchange from Westbound trains.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd suggest District to Embankment and then walk across Hungerford Bridge- by the time you go down to deep level, get a train, travel, get off, get back up from deep level I reckon a walker could have beaten you. Especially if it is rush hour and you're travelling with the flow.

Ivo

Established Member
If time is the most important thing, I would go with Mojo's idea of changing twice (at Mile End and Bank). However, whilst there is cross-platform interchange at Mile End, there is quite a walk at Bank - the W&C platform is often noted as being nearer Mansion House than Bank! So as far as being easy goes, this may not be the answer you're looking for, especially if easy relates to ease of access - in which case changing at Westminster is the way to go.

In short, it depends on how you define "easy".

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If time is the most important thing, I would go with Mojo's idea of changing twice (at Mile End and Bank). However, whilst there is cross-platform interchange at Mile End, there is quite a walk at Bank - the W&C platform is often noted as being nearer Mansion House than Bank!
In my opinion and knowing Bank as well as I do, the interchange at Bank isn't that long and is also relatively simple. Walking from the Sub-surface platforms to the W&C is the furthest you can go at Bank, but the Central to W&C aren't too far, although not as close as DLR > Northern!

ian1944

Thanks for the replies. I may well use Hungerford Bridge unless it's raining. This will be on Saturday evening getting to Waterloo at about 8, so the W&C won't be running.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
People do seem to forget sometimes that looking at actual maps, rather than just the tube map, can be useful- whilst Waterloo isn't on the Circle it really isn't far from it- similarly London Bridge isn't far from Monument. I think with these the only issues would be if you were travelling on Oyster PAYG, as neither would be an out of station interchange as far as I know.

ian1944

I was actually doing all-day multimodal sightseeing with a 1-6 Travelcard on Saturday, with the cutoff being meeting someone at Waterloo at 8 pm. The planned schedule ended West Croydon - Shadwell - Poplar - Bow Church - Bow Road - Waterloo (hence the original question), but I'd over-estimated the time required previously in the day, so was able to end Poplar - Lewisham (DLR) - Stratford (bus) - Waterloo (Jubilee), still with time to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.