• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Box for Photocard number printed on Southern Daysave

Status
Not open for further replies.

astock5000

I recently purchased a Southern Daysave, for travel towards the end of this month, and collected it from my local (not Southern-operated) station.

I noticed that a box for a Photocard number was printed in the upper right corner, which as I understand things is not required for such a ticket (from a complete lack of any mention of such on Southern's website or elsewhere - should add that this will be my first time using a Daysave).

Would I be right in thinking that this was due to the template used by the machine for printing what is an unusual ticket type, or something along those lines?

And if that is the case, should I be concerned about it potentially causing an issue with any staff not too familiar with Daysaves, or would that not be a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cool110

It's the same with the Merseyrail Daysaver, they're in the system as normal singles or returns but print with the season ticket layout.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Southern Daysave tickets are only supposed to be collected from Southern branded TVMs. As I understand it the Daysave has to be manually inputted into the ToD system, which is why they have to be ordered at least 3 days ahead of travel. If they are printed at non-Southern TVMs there is a risk they won't print correctly. A former Southern Pricing Manager used to frequent this forum many years ago and explained alof this.

I doun't you'll have any issues on the day as in my experience Southern staff know what a Daysave ticket is.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Even DaySaves collected at Southern TVMs print this photocard box.

I believe this is because they use the same template as a normal season ticket, but simply have one day validity, but I am not really sure.

I know that the new CCST spec guidance has an example of the DaySave (albeit this is an example, not stating the DaySave will use this format) in its documentation which doesn't have a section for the Photocard number. The description doesn't list many changes other than font size and showing the full name, but last time I printed a DaySave (1st April), it was still in the much older style, similar to London Travelcards.

Screenshot_20230416-042942.png

PXL_20230401_081701822.MP~2.jpg

astock5000

Thanks everyone for that info. Yes, I had already figured afterwards that I perhaps should have had the ticket posted instead (at least to me, Southern's site didn't make clear the reasoning for printing at a Southern station, so once given options of other operator's stations I then assumed it was an old limitation that was no longer the case).

But good to know the box is still printed regardless of that, and that I shouldn't expect any issues to arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.