• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Interchange Bus Station closed until further notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I've spoken to some people they ha e lived in Bradford all their life, and they don't know where it is.

I can honestly see the Interchange getting pulled down and it becoming another Broadway fiasco, with a hole in the ground for years.

The council will blame the railway and the railway will blame the council.. But with no avoiding line into Bradford Interchange, it could cause a lot of problems
As far as I remember it, the station is not over the garage where the issues are. The station opened before the Interchange, so hopefully rail services can continue without issues if/when the bus station has to come down.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
As far as I remember it, the station is not over the garage where the issues are. The station opened before the Interchange, so hopefully rail services can continue without issues if/when the bus station has to come down.
Yes the station is unaffected as the garage is below the bus station.

The problem is that if the bus station has to be ripped down if it is deemed unsafe, where does this leave the shared concourse area? Where does it leave the £40m new entrance from Hall Ings? Where does this leave bus services in Bradford altogether?

The radio silence from the council and WYCA is nothing short of disgraceful. The occasional press release saying it is remaining closed isn’t what people want.

The council need to get their heads out of their backsides, get the full up to date info from WYCA, let the public know and stop blocking FOI requests as this is in the public interest. What the hell are they hiding?

As I’ve said, the chair of the WYCA transport committee and leader of Bradford Council is the same person, she needs to start speaking openly and honestly to the people that pay her wages. She’s far too interested in apportioning blame rather than admitting her own part in the city’s painful decline. I really hope she gets voted out next month but sadly I suspect it’ll be more of the same and Bradford continues to die as a city.

mm333

As I’ve said, the chair of the WYCA transport committee and leader of Bradford Council is the same person, she needs to start speaking openly and honestly to the people that pay her wages. She’s far too interested in apportioning blame rather than admitting her own part in the city’s painful decline. I really hope she gets voted out next month but sadly I suspect it’ll be more of the same and Bradford continues to die as a city.

She was re-elected in my local ward last year so she ain't going nowhere until 2027. But if I get a Labour canvasser knock on my door, I'll be very happy to tell them what I think about their lack of open-ness over the interchange.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yes the station is unaffected as the garage is below the bus station.

The problem is that if the bus station has to be ripped down if it is deemed unsafe, where does this leave the shared concourse area? Where does it leave the £40m new entrance from Hall Ings? Where does this leave bus services in Bradford altogether?
I guess it depends on just how much of the concourse isn't over the affected area. I'm trying to wrack my brains on this, as many, many moons ago I did go into the garage on an open day. But at a guess at the very least the internal stair case / escalator and perhaps the Greggs could probably be brought back into use once the rest was properly blocked off from it.

As far as the buses go, the new bus hubs around the centre come into operation in a couple of weeks. So it will be messy, but a plan is in play to route all the buses away from the Interchange for the foreseeable. The new approach will, I guess be left as a big hole, or perhaps an access point for the heavy plant that will be needed to raise the bus station to the ground...

The radio silence from the council and WYCA is nothing short of disgraceful. The occasional press release saying it is remaining closed isn’t what people want.

The council need to get their heads out of their backsides, get the full up to date info from WYCA, let the public know and stop blocking FOI requests as this is in the public interest. What the hell are they hiding?

As you say it is disgraceful and baffling. What purpose is there in hiding from the blinking obvious, that is that its almost certainly going to have to come down? I'm sorry to say this but this is what I expect to come post the general election if a Labour government proves to be as inept as it's local councillors. Everything they touch seems to literally turn to rubble...

skyhigh

Established Member
Email from First this morning saying:
Bradford Interchange bus station will remain closed for a further three months as more detailed surveys are undertaken to determine the viability of its future.

Reading between the lines it appears as if it may be heading towards a decision that the structure is no longer viable....

Ianigsy

It’s probably a case of doing the necessary leg work to prove that it’s the case before going cap in hand to the relevant authorities.

I wonder how long they can go on calling it Bradford Interchange, though, if there’s nothing to interchange with once you get off the train!

Neptune

Established Member
She was re-elected in my local ward last year so she ain't going nowhere until 2027. But if I get a Labour canvasser knock on my door, I'll be very happy to tell them what I think about their lack of open-ness over the interchange.
Ah right. I left the district a couple of years ago after over 50 years of living in beautiful Airedale thanks in the main because of the way that the district was being driven into the ground. Where I moved to in North Yorkshire couldn’t be anymore different with council’s focus on the whole area rather than just the area around the town hall as happens in Bradford. You won’t get the info that you want about the Interchange, they’re too interested in the mutual back slapping from the Crapital of Culture next year. I was in town centre before the City match on Friday and was saddened to see what has become of our city.
I guess it depends on just how much of the concourse isn't over the affected area. I'm trying to wrack my brains on this, as many, many moons ago I did go into the garage on an open day. But at a guess at the very least the internal stair case / escalator and perhaps the Greggs could probably be brought back into use once the rest was properly blocked off from it.
I’m not sure how far it goes over the garage but hopefully the go ahead to at least re-open that side of the concourse and access to the station will be granted after the survey is done. If the weight of humans moving around on that section can’t be tolerated then it will definitely be time to demolish it.
As far as the buses go, the new bus hubs around the centre come into operation in a couple of weeks. So it will be messy, but a plan is in play to route all the buses away from the Interchange for the foreseeable. The new approach will, I guess be left as a big hole, or perhaps an access point for the heavy plant that will be needed to raise the bus station to the ground...
Apparently the signage has been poor for where buses are departing from (lack of decent info from Metro?). It looked like absolute chaos around Nelson Street the other day.
As you say it is disgraceful and baffling. What purpose is there in hiding from the blinking obvious, that is that its almost certainly going to have to come down? I'm sorry to say this but this is what I expect to come post the general election if a Labour government proves to be as inept as it's local councillors. Everything they touch seems to literally turn to rubble...
I honestly don’t know what the hell there is to hide. It’s in the public interest to at least communicate. What’s on those documents that they’re so desperate to hide from public view. I have my suspicions that the day it closed wasn’t even in the same month that it should have done.

WYCA come out of this no better. I thought Tracy Brabin would be good as mayor but like Hinchcliffe all I ever hear is apportioning blame if anything goes wrong and a distinct lack of looking in the mirror.

So glad I made the move when I did.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Apparently the signage has been poor for where buses are departing from (lack of decent info from Metro?). It looked like absolute chaos around Nelson Street the other day.
Honestly I'd say what signage? There's very little at all at the moment, this is supposed to be rectified for the new hubs but no-one is holding their breath on that one. What isn't clear yet is where bus will call additionally around the centre, as most of the information points to just one stop per route.

I honestly don’t know what the hell there is to hide. It’s in the public interest to at least communicate. What’s on those documents that they’re so desperate to hide from public view. I have my suspicions that the day it closed wasn’t even in the same month that it should have done.

WYCA come out of this no better. I thought Tracy Brabin would be good as mayor but like Hinchcliffe all I ever hear is apportioning blame if anything goes wrong and a distinct lack of looking in the mirror.

So glad I made the move when I did.
All I can think of is as suggested earlier that the problems manifested in the previous rebuilding of the bus station, and that perhaps shortcuts were taken that WYCA / Bradford Council knew about? Something very fishy is going on for sure.

TUC

Established Member
The unanswered question is why there is such a reluctance by Metro and WYCA to be open about the situation and the issues that are being worked through? Yes, they need careful explanation, but good communication is part of the day job.

Andyh82

Established Member
The unanswered question is why there is such a reluctance by Metro and WYCA to be open about the situation and the issues that are being worked through? Yes, they need careful explanation, but good communication is part of the day job.
Presumably because Bradford Council have just ploughed multiple millions into a scheme to build a new entrance to the Interchange. They are also obsessed with everything being perfect for the City of Culture year including how they are doing about 10 sets of roadworks at once and digging up practically every street. Spending millions on an entrance to a closed building and 2025 having no bus station would be a great embarrassment that they won’t want to admit, at least not this side of the election.

The concourse isn’t over the former garage, it’s on the same level

The issue would be that if the roof could fall into the garage, it could also fall into concourse

The toilets and the Greggs are technically in the railway station building, and if they were interested they could have built a boxed in corridor to access this area. I’m thinking a bit like the corridor that was built through the half demolished Broadmarsh shopping centre in Nottingham after intu had gone bust. But they don’t seem too interested in providing access to the toilets.

Neptune

Established Member
Presumably because Bradford Council have just ploughed multiple millions into a scheme to build a new entrance to the Interchange. They are also obsessed with everything being perfect for the City of Culture year including how they are doing about 10 sets of roadworks at once and digging up practically every street. Spending millions on an entrance to a closed building and 2025 having no bus station would be a great embarrassment that they won’t want to admit, at least not this side of the election.
Lest we forget it was announced last week that they’re ploughing £1.8m into street cleaning the centre of Bradford for CoC year. Also shows you that council tax payers aren’t getting value for money with street cleaning the rest of the time if the Telegraph & Argus (aka the council rag) is proudly announcing stories about astronomical sums of money needing to be spent on this. Shows you where their priorities are. An utter shambles throwing good money after bad at vanity project after vanity project. No wonder they stay quiet about their many failings. The Interchange fiasco isn’t even the tip of the iceberg I suspect.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This thread is going to be locked, until there is a substantial update to the proceedings at the Bus Station as we appear to be going off-topic.
Please feel free to open a new thread for other topics of discussion.

If there is an update please feel free to message either myself or @GusB and we’ll reopen the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.