• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Interchange Signal Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

I was at the Interchange earlier today when a class 150 bound for Manchester Victoria slammed and screeched the brakes on, right at the end of Platform three because the route indicator had been set to B and the Branch line to Leeds.

Who would have been at fault if the driver had continued to Leeds on the branch?

Is the Interchange signal box under York control or is it still operated manually?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
Currently controlled by Mill Lane Junction Signal Box, the junction where the line diverges towards Leeds and Halifax. In October this will close and control transferred to a workstation in the York ROC.

Eric

Currently controlled by Mill Lane Junction Signal Box, the junction where the line diverges towards Leeds and Halifax. In October this will close and control transferred to a workstation in the York ROC.

So human error then?

superkev

Established Member
I was at the Interchange earlier today when a class 150 bound for Manchester Victoria slammed and screeched the brakes on, right at the end of Platform three because the route indicator had been set to B and the Branch line to Leeds.

Who would have been at fault if the driver had continued to Leeds on the branch?

Is the Interchange signal box under York control or is it still operated manually?
I understand that, perhaps unfairly, any incorrect routing is the responsibly of the driver.
K

Stampy

I would have thought the driver would have REFUSED to move his train until he'd received the CORRECT path....

Eric

I would have thought the driver would have REFUSED to move his train until he'd received the CORRECT path....

My interpretation is the guard gave the buzzer and off it went for about five seconds up the hill before a loud screech brought it to a halt.

jdxn

If the signaller sets the route incorrectly and the driver doesn't take it it's the signallers fault. The the driver takes the route the blame is 50/50. That is unless by the time the driver knows its the wrong route too late to stop (certain high speed junctions) in which case its the signaller's fault.

Tomnick

Established Member
Not if the route indication wasn't visible from the position from which the train started.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The route indicators are sometimes not possible read until the train moves towards the signal at Bradford Interchange.

I would presume modern LED theatre indicators are easier to read from a distance then older lamp indicators (doew Bradford Interchange have the latter?)?

I would presume modern LED theatre indicators are easier to read from a distance then older lamp indicators (doew Bradford Interchange have the latter?)?

Somewhat easier. At Bradford Interchange some of the signals are poorly aligned, and are barely visible from where the train is stood at the platform, being located someway up the hill towards the signal box and sometimes round a l/h curve. Of course this is not helped by the use of 30 meter trains; the signals are positioned for longer trains of yesteryear. As part of the Calder Valley resignalling works all signals controlled by Mill Lane (and Halifax, Milner Royd and Hebden Bridge) will be replaced, hopefully on a better alignment.

Tractor37

As a driver for the same company, there is no issue viewing the signal and route indication from where trains start on platform 3. If the driver had not stopped, which isn't difficult at 15mph, it would be deemed as driver taking the wrong route on his record.

Status
Not open for further replies.