• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break Journey - Restriction VK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydnaroo

Hi all, first post here. :D

Several times a year I travel FLN - EUS on an off-peak return with a Senior Railcard returning on the same or within a couple of day(s). On one visit I'd like to break the journey at Milton Keynes to visit Bletchley Park. The www.brfares.com site and the tickets themselves show restriction VK which is described here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/VK . At the bottom of the linked page, below the list of restrictions for the Outward journey but not actually in the bullet pointed list for Outward, it says "Break of journey is not permitted.". Does this restriction apply across both outward & return or does it just apply to the outward journey? I'd like to break the journey during the return and go FLN - EUS, EUS - MKC & then MKC - FLN using the normal ticket (the last 2 legs would be on the same day). Any help appreciated. Cheers - Y

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Just the outward journey i believe

Last edited by a moderator:

A Challenge

Established Member
FLN is Flint, but please remember to use the full name the first time you are referring to it. It appears to be OK to break your journey on return only.

Veteran Member
FLN? Where is that?
Flint.

@Ydnaroo Welcome on board!
It's a forum rule to avoid abbreviations, as we don't all know them by heart, and not all of the TLCs (oops! 3-letter codes) are as obvious as MKC and EUS :)

Sorry, someone was quicker, wasn't meaning to pile on the criticism.

Back to your question. BOJ (!) is OK on the return, anytime within the month.
It's clear here
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=FLN&dest=EUS&grpd=1072&tkt=SVR
- and you might be interested in the bit at the bottom of the page that says you may join the 1610 off Euston at Milton Keynes.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Break of Journey restriction with VK (from North Wales coast stations Shotton-Holyhead and branches) applies only on the outward leg.
Maybe you've seen the current debate on the hazards of using this and similar tickets?
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/virgin-gate-line-euston-get-it-wrong-again.166064/
Welcome to the forum by the way.
This is a ticket I use regularly myself.
Maybe you know it is one of the few off-peak tickets with generous time restrictions into Euston, unlike Chester or Wrexham which take the more draconian restriction 2C (though the fares are exactly the same as Flint).
The downside of VK is the break of journey restriction, and the lack of cheap advances on the route.
PS - I know that FLN = Flint, but the forum likes you to use full station names or to introduce the abbreviation first in your text.

Ydnaroo

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about the station code mistake. Was talking Flint to London Euston with a break at Milton Keynes Central. Thanks again - Y

Ydnaroo

and you might be interested in the bit at the bottom of the page that says you may join the 1610 off Euston at Milton Keynes.
Yep, thanks for that. Was just looking at that when you guys posted. plans might be changing for my next visit to London so my visit to Bletchley might might be a straight there and back visit rather than tagged onto a London trip. As a Senior Railcard holder we used to be able to use the 16:10 from Euston but Virgin withdrew that benefit about 18 months ago. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.