• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey - off peak ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspector999

My son will be travelling from Lonsdon to Chichester on Friday 9th Nov and returning Sunday 11th Nov.

The ticket seems to be £59.45 off peak return (with rail card) route via Birmingham. Can he break his outward journey in London and again at Gatwick.

National Rail Enquiry website says
"Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets."

But there is no validity code shown on the website so I cannot check if there is a restriction!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We are unable to help you unless you say what ticket he holds. What is the actual journey being undertaken and what is the origin and destination of each ticket(s) held?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Longsdon (i.e. with a 'g' added) is in Staffordshire; the nearest railway station appears to be Blythe Bridge from where there is a £59.65 Super Off-Peak return to Chichester - that's as close as I can get! This is a good guessing game.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
My son will be travelling from Lonsdon to Chichester on Friday 9th Nov and returning Sunday 11th Nov.

The ticket seems to be £59.45 off peak return (with rail card) route via Birmingham. Can he break his outward journey in London and again at Gatwick.

National Rail Enquiry website says
"Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets."

But there is no validity code shown on the website so I cannot check if there is a restriction!

When you find a journey on the National Rail site, at the bottom right there will be a 'ticket' section. Clicking on the ticket type there will take you to a general conditions page. Contained in that page, under 'restrictions' is a link to the specific restriction code that applies. This will say if break of journey is not permitted. If it does not say that break of journey is not permitted, it is permitted.

Inspector999

Thanks for that - found the link - and break of journey isn't permitted. Can't see how that wil lprevent a break in London but getting off at Gatwick is out of the question.

May have to find a more expensive ticket!!

jkdd77

There is an Aberystwyth- Chichester 'VJ' SVR 'rte Birmingham' which costs £59.45 with railcard discount, and prohibits BoJ on the outward leg.

If this is approximately the right location, then splitting SVRs at Shrewsbury or London may be a possibility, but we would need to know the OP's precise local station to provide the best advice.

Chapeltom

Established Member

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Definitely Longsdon - looking at Google maps, it is a bit north-east of Longton and doesn't have a station. But I think Aberystwyth has to be the right answer.

Inspector999

Heaven knows what I was thinking!!

Longsdon!! Never heard of it.

What I meant to say was Aberystwyth to Chichester via London with a break at Gatwick.
(the ticket is off peak return route via Birmingham with 16-24 rail card)

Anyway that isn't happening because it's not allowed - he's stopping off on the way back instead after first sampling a delightful rail replacement bus from Chichester to Littlehampton.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.