• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey over Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I'm planning on doing the following trips over the Christmas holidays -

Christmas Eve : Steeton & Silsden- Meadowhall
Tuesday 27th December : Meadowhall - Liverpool
Friday 30th December : Liverpool - Steeton & Silsden

Looking at the Routing Guide I think that a Steeton to Liverpool ticket is valid via Leeds, Barnsley and Meadowhall (maps LY + NL). My question is can I break my outward journey at Meadowhall over the Christmas break on a £35.20 Off Peak Return?

National Rail Enquiries website states that "tickets are valid for travel on the date shown on your ticket and until 02:30 on the following day" but also says that "Where Break of Journey is available on your specific journey, if you wish to stop overnight or it is not possible to complete the journey by 02:30 on the day following the last day of validity, you may continue your journey the following morning. Travel must resume before 12:00, where the time restrictions that apply to the ticket should be observed and no further break of journey is allowed except to change trains."

As far as I know, trains aren't running on Christmas day or Boxing day. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There are no exceptions to the rule, however if there were delays that prevented you completing your journey then the TOCs might allow some discretion to be shown.

mm333

You'd need to get the £44.20 Anytime Return, as the outward portion for that lasts for the current day plus four days (so 24th-28th in this case).

34D

Established Member
As far as I know, trains aren't running on Christmas day or Boxing day. Thanks.

For this reason, I'm going to say that I do not know (re continuing the next morning that trains run).

Is it really a valid route though? Seems very circuitorious to me.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For this reason, I'm going to say that I do not know (re continuing the next morning that trains run).

Is it really a valid route though? Seems very circuitorious to me.

It is a valid route. Leeds Group is an appropriate routeing point and permitted routes between Leeds Group and Liverpool Group do include LY+NL. You travel from Steeton to Leeds, then using LY you go to Barnsley, change to NL and go to Liverpool via Meadowhall, Sheffield and Manchester.

I also don't know about the split, but if you started the journey after it was impossible to get all the way to Liverpool before the early shutdown of the network then I'd say that the railway would have difficulty enforcing invalidity because they didn't provide any services until Tuesday. I am not a lawyer though.

island

Veteran Member
I think it is at the very best within the letter but not the spirit of the rules.

tony_mac

Established Member
I'd say that the railway would have difficulty enforcing invalidity because they didn't provide any services until Tuesday. I am not a lawyer though.

I disagree; you can see the timetable well before you book it, it's not the same as an unplanned closure. If you choose to break your journey knowing that there is no train to resume it on, then that is your choice.

Could I could buy a ticket to Teeside Airport on a Monday, and then break my journey over the next 5 days?

calc7

Established Member
How could this issue be applied to a line with no Sunday service?

tony_mac

Established Member
That would be the same, buy a ticket on a Saturday, break your journey, and carry on with it on Monday.

I am fairly sure that if it was supposed to be accepted like that, then it would have been added to the rules.

jay jay

I have a similar situation. I am going from London to Dundee on the 30th December on an off - peak return (valid for one month). On the 1st January I want to leave Glasgow and stop off at Manchester on the evening of the 1st and then continue from Manchester to London on the 2nd Jan. Is this acceptable?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If you are doing it on the way back it is fine as the return portion is valid for return within one month.

jay jay

If you are doing it on the way back it is fine as the return portion is valid for return within one month.

I thought as much. But a friend of mine thought that going via Manchester would not be permitted from Dundee to London.

Cheers

tony_mac

Established Member
You could just put 'via Manchester' into one of the ticketing websites to test it out.

But, for many routes between London and Scotland, almost anything is allowed.

(See Map AS)

Status
Not open for further replies.