• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

kel-green

Hi

I was looking at a ticket with restriction code SK as shown http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SK

It says that break of journey is not allowed for outward travel, but above it, it says applicable days are Monday-Friday.

My question is therefore, can you break your journey on the outward portion on a Saturday?

Many Thanks
Kel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Congratulations on a very original question! I've never seen it asked here before. I think there is definitely a case for your proposed interpretation, but I'm not sure what the consensus on here will be...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Generally a BoJ restriction applies at all times. However the wording of the NRCoT requires you to be notified of such a restriction for it to apply, and as you've only been notified of it Mon-Fri...

My personal experience is that if the BoJ is same-day and there's not a case of avoiding a lower fare by starting short (e.g. the Lancaster case), it is totally unenforced anyway.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Good question! Due to the way it's worded I'd argue it applies M-F only, and there's also the possibility it was intended to be that way, in order that LM can protect their LIV-BHM revenue (and everywhere inbetween) in the peaks whilst allowing longer journeys to (eg) London to depart slightly earlier, and vice versa.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is such a ticket on BRfares:

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=EUS&dest=BHM&grpd=0418&rte=42&tkt=FSK

It certainly reads that way, though I'm certain it isn't the intention, just how the restrictions are written. Nonetheless as they are written that way, that does mean a Court could hardly find that they had a different meaning than that which was written.

And as I said unless you're doing it to evade a fare, same day BoJ restrictions are totally unenforced anyway. They effectively exist so the railway reserves the right to enforce them if they are used to evade a fare, e.g. at Lancaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.