• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelander

Can somebody please define what is a Break of Journey, I have tried to understand the jargon which National Rail put out as a Break of Journey but find that one rule contradicts another. some say it's coded on the ticket does that mean I have to carry a decoder with me every time I purchase a ticket. what I am after is ,if I purchase a standard day return ticket to go from A to B and their are stops in between can I get off the train and then catch the next one to my destination simple request but so difficult to get an answer.

many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is no break of journey restriction on any Day ticket.

Break of journey is explained in the NRCoC, Condition 16.

jkdd77

There is no break of journey restriction on any Day ticket.

Break of journey is explained in the NRCoC, Condition 16.

Southern claim that their 'PB' Super Off-Peak Day Returns/ Travelcards don't allow BoJ outside the London Travelcard area; however, this conflicts with the publicly available information on the NRE website, and is not made available to the passenger at or before the point of purchase (as required by the NRCoC). Furthermore, there is no BoJ restriction listed against the official 'PB' restriction code on the NRE website.

I don't believe it is enforceable, at the moment.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can somebody please define what is a Break of Journey
Definition is in the NRCoC (link provided above).
I have tried to understand the jargon which National Rail put out ...
In our RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide - Section 1 - Ticket Types & Conditions we have a post detailing Break of Journey. Hope this helps :)
if I purchase a standard day return ticket to go from A to B and their are stops in between can I get off the train and then catch the next one to my destination simple request but so difficult to get an answer.
A break of journey IS permitted unless it is "made clear" in the T&Cs that it is not.

Getting off a train and getting another train is NOT, in itself, a break of journey anyway.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
many thanks for your replies, problem solved.:
No problem :)

If you're in doubt you can always ask on here! Usually we can provide a conclusive answer (though sometimes the rules can be open to interpretation...!)

Status
Not open for further replies.