• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bredbury - Cheadle / East Didsbury formation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi

In recent years I have taken an interest in the old line which operated from Bredbury - Cheadle Junction / East Didsbury and have investigated the different parts of the formation.

I've noted the embankment at Mersey Vale Nature Park , The way many of the car dealerships are simply build on top of the formation in a way that they could easily disappear again if the money and will was there.

St Georges Tunnel has been dealt with in a way that the tunnel shape and path underground is still intact protected underground despite the addition of a road and pavement which skirt around and over it.

Brinnington Tunnel is fairly well cared for although it was leaking internally last time I walked through it.

Yesterday I found the way into Crookiley Wood nature reserve and was able to access the formation of the line from the bridge under Morrisons to where the bridge has been removed over the M60 (Does anyone know when this occurred as the bridge must have been fairly young in age? Pictures?). A single track formation of the trackbed was completely clear save for a few bits of plant and well ballasted too and overall was free of nature. Contrary to popular believe the slip road from Bredbury roundabout has not not taken any of the formation.

When walking over the A6 bridge recently I noted that the formation over Stockport Redrock seems to have been cleared at some point recently, as it was a forrest but now most of the trees are to the side of the trackbed and you can see the bed which looks in fairly good condition (for a disused trackbed).

The fairly new Porshe garage next to Tesco Portwood in Stockport has been built in such a way and angle that a bridge could be accommodated where the arches once existed.

Was some survey work done in connection with a bid for the restoring your railway fund bid and are some of these sections protected from major development?

Who now owns the parts of the trackbed which are not in use?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I don’t think that a bridge ever existed where the M60 crossed the line close to Brinnington tbh, as that particular stretch of motorway from Denton to Portwood wasn’t constructed until after the former CLC line had closed If my memory serves me correctly.

The M60 (M63 as it was then) opened through Stockport to Portwood in 1982 - its construction hastened the end of the Tiviot Dale line west of Bredbury because the tunnel near Lancashire Hill was badly damaged in the process. Woodhead had closed in 1981, so it had lost most of its traffic anyway (MGRs to Fiddler's Ferry), and thus the closure was made permanent. The extensions to Brinnington and Denton came later so no rail bridges were required.

It would be very difficult to reinstate the line through Stockport now , because the new Travis Brow link road has obliterated the western entrance to the tunnel under Wellington Road N (A6) and the George's Road area (near B & Q) has changed beyond all recognition.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interesting stuff!

Just to be clear, is this section of line the one from the former Heaton Mersey station, then Heaton Mersey Station Junction, Heaton Mersey East Junction, under Stockport viaduct, past the former Stockport Tiviot Dale station, Brinnington Junction, through Brinnington Tunnel, Bredbury Junction, then joining the Reddish Junction to Romiley Junction line, alongside Bredbury station?

Would I be right in saying, however, that East Didsbury (Metrolink) station is much more recent, and unless mistaken, the route we're discussing didn't actually pass through 'Cheadle Junction'.

And "St. George's Tunnel" is/was where exactly? On the CLC line just to the west of the Stockport Tiviot Dale station site, presumably?

montyburns56

And "St. George's Tunnel" is/was where exactly? On the CLC line just to the west of the Stockport Tiviot Dale station site, presumably?
I think they meant Georges Road tunnel which is where the line dived down under the A6 on it's way to Tiviot Dale Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.