• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge parapet collapse between Laurencekirk & Stonehaven (15/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Two in a matter of.... (was it weeks?)

Are these common or is something odd happening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Durradan

Now closed until end of service 31st January.
I'm hoping Scotrail decide to keep up ticket acceptance with the Citylink buses for next week then. Their replacement bus schedules time around (only shuttling between Stonehaven and Montrose) leaves some quite long waits for connections, though lockdown is probably affecting coach/driver availability in addition to passenger numbers.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I'm getting nightmares of a Hatfield esque fallout from these failures.

InOban

Established Member
Network Rail are now tweeting that it will be closed until February with a clearer idea next week. It seems that they are still deciding what has to be done and how to do it.

Established Member
Now closed until end of service 31st January.
Until 7th of February the line is confirmed as being closed by Network Rail.
The southbound line and ballast has been removed, north bound may also be removed.

bspahh

Established Member
There is an updated photo of the bridge repairs from Network Rail
EtJ-j66W8AIdz8B

at https://twitter.com/philatrail/status/1356285666418716678/photo/1

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It looks from that photo that whatever the initial cause, they’ve taken off the entire parapet along the full length now? ie the area to the left of the arch, which was still present in earlier photos.
But the repairs are still only to one side so far?

InOban

Established Member
If, as has been suggested, the problem arose from pressure from the increased depth of ballast on the outside of the bend, then the whole length of parapet would be vulnerable and need replacement and reinforcement.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If, as has been suggested, the problem arose from pressure from the increased depth of ballast on the outside of the bend, then the whole length of parapet would be vulnerable and need replacement and reinforcement.
That’s what I was thinking too, but I wasn’t so sure as to suggest it. Makes you worry where else is the same?

PG

Established Member
If so would that necessitate a reduction in line speed in the future to mitigate against the effect of the pressure building up again?
Apologies if this is a completely daft idea, my understanding of civil engineering is somewhat lacking...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If so would that necessitate a reduction in line speed in the future to mitigate against the effect of the pressure building up again?
Apologies if this is a completely daft idea, my understanding of civil engineering is somewhat lacking...
The solution is probably to replace the whole parapet with something strong enough to withstand all the forces it has to bear. The parts of the parapet that didn't fall might only have been in marginally better condition or experiencing slightly less force for some reason, so would most likely have fallen sooner or later if not dealt with.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well if the depth of ballast started causing issues, wouldn't the obvious solution be to install slab track over the bridge?

Elecman

Established Member
Interesting thought - then retrofit to all higher risk locations of similar type presumably?
Well if the depth of ballast started causing issues, wouldn't the obvious solution be to install slab track over the bridge?
I think that would be classed as Enhancement and would need separate funding steam from DafT as it wouldn’t be a maintenance Renewal

gingertom

Established Member
I think that would be classed as Enhancement and would need separate funding steam from DafT as it wouldn’t be a maintenance Renewal
you could argue it's preventative maintenance, for the avoidance of catastrophic failure.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think that’s still a temporary road that’s been built for the work. Theres another track just to its right, that forks south of the underbridge, and that’s the only one shown on satellite views.

I wonder if it’s easier to build a straight temporary access in what would be a ploughed field, than improve the existing track?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
To increase linespeed the track has been canted up on the outside of the curve so you have more ballast pushing up against the wall potentially exerting sideways pressure on it through the passage of trains and creating an overturning moment causing failure. As RAIB seem disinterested in this and Nine Elms doubt we will every really know but maybe and FOI would liberate an answer.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
To increase linespeed the track has been canted up on the outside of the curve so you have more ballast pushing up against the wall potentially exerting sideways pressure on it through the passage of trains and creating an overturning moment causing failure. As RAIB seem disinterested in this and Nine Elms doubt we will every really know but maybe and FOI would liberate an answer.
There’s no obligation on RAIB to issue a quick public statement about whether or not they’re investigating a particular incident. You cannot really say yet if they are “disinterested”.

Established Member
Given that there was no accident or near miss there isn't really anything for them to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.