• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge problem between Norwich and Lowestoft 26/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

George109

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem with the road bridge is?

According to National Rail:
A problem with a river bridge between Reedham and Haddiscoe means trains cannot run between Norwich and Lowestoft. This is expected to continue until the end of service.
Customer Advice:
A very limited bus service is now operating between Norwich and Lowestoft calling at Oulton Broad North only. The location of the designated bus stop at your station can be found by checking the station information page.

There isn't really anything on the news from what I can find. Surely this means there won't be trains between Norwich and Lowestoft for a while if the bridge is damaged?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SPADTrap

Established Member
Can anyone shed any light on what the problem with the road bridge is?

According to National Rail:

There isn't really anything on the news from what I can find. Surely this means there won't be trains between Norwich and Lowestoft for a while if the bridge is damaged?

Bridge has come off the jacks and both jacks have failed and are in the process of being repaired.

George109

Bridge has come off the jacks and both jacks have failed and are in the process of being repaired.
I thought jacks were a temporary thing?
Surely this will take more than half a day to fix (about 13 hours until the first train tomorrow)

John Webb

Established Member
I thought jacks were a temporary thing?
Surely this will take more than half a day to fix (about 13 hours until the first train tomorrow)
I assume this is the railway swing bridge at Reedham. The jacks are a permanent feature of the bridge and take the weight of the bridge off the pivot system when ready for trains to minimise stresses on the pivot as trains are crossing. If the jacks fail, the bridge is less stable, hence cannot be used by trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.