• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge strikes at Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuterDistant

Prepare for a bit of disruption at Stoke-on-Trent this morning - a skip lorry struck this bridge just north of the station around 7:45.

Happened right in front of me as I was walking towards work. Luckily it was right next to Stoke Power box and men from the Network Rail depot were on the scene straight away.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Track examined, trains are running again but lorry still wedged. Result - mostly! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
I was on the 7:32 train from Stoke-on-Trent luckily I just missed it.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Am only a 10 minute walk away from this location, I could go down and see what is happening.
Are trains having to sound their horns as they go past?

thenorthern

Established Member
I have just gone over the bridge and it seems fine now although the pendos and voyagers seem to be slower than normal.

dysonsphere

Am only a 10 minute walk away from this location, I could go down and see what is happening.
Are trains having to sound their horns as they go past?
Why im only 20 mins away plz to meet you

Established Member
My favourite........

Attachments

• a_aaa-Low-Bridge-Warning-Sign.jpg
    a_aaa-Low-Bridge-Warning-Sign.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 190

OuterDistant

Pleased to say they had trains running around half an hour after it happened, and the lorry shifted a couple of hours later. Passing motorists helped the lorry driver out of his cab but I didn't stick around (gawping doesn't help).

It was one hell of a whack, though, and the sight of the lorry's cap leaping into the air pretty spectacular.

Top Gear fans might also recognise this bridge as the one James May ended up stuck at after taking the wrong turning in his Herald-based yacht.

BestWestern

Established Member
Well, at least we know it wasn't our very own bridge height sceptic Mr GearJammer at the helm, wrong part of the country and dare I suggest not an impressive enough wagon :D

GearJammer

At least the driver can be prosecuted for contravening the Mandatory height restriction signs, rather than the normal advisory Warning signs.

Their presence would suggest the bridge has a history of strikes.

I assume you never read the report very well then.....

"The route which the driver had taken is correct and can be comfortably taken by these vehicles. A full investigation will take place to determine the cause of this incident."

So why would the driver be prosocuted?
I think you best let the relevant people do their investigations first before blaming the driver!
To me there looks to be plenty of clearance so quite clearly something is a miss here!
Well, at least we know it wasn't our very own bridge height sceptic Mr GearJammer at the helm, wrong part of the country and dare I suggest not an impressive enough wagon :D

I travel all over the UK...... although you are right about one thing, that wagon is no where near shiney or impressive enough for my liking.

talltim

Established Member
Skip lorries have a movable arm thingy. Perhaps it wasn't lowered enough?

Muzer

Established Member
At least the driver can be prosecuted for contravening the Mandatory height restriction signs, rather than the normal advisory Warning signs.

Their presence would suggest the bridge has a history of strikes.
Yeah - while I'm all for prosecuting people who ignore mandatory signs, this wasn't the case here as people have already pointed out. It does help if you read the article before accusing people of wrongdoing ;)

swj99

Skip lorries have a movable arm thingy. Perhaps it wasn't lowered enough?

That's what had happened last time I saw one jammed under a railway bridge. The lifting gear for the skip hadn't quite lowered correctly on one side.
I didn't see it happen, but I heard it from about quarter of a mile away. A friend of mine was walking along the opposite pavement at the time. Made a hell of a loud bang. Although with that one, the skip, which was empty, came off and landed on the road behind. Fortunately there weren't any cars tailgating the lorry.

The lorry was stopped so abruptly that the cab ended up in the tilted forward position, and when the driver got out, he fell out onto the road next to it, into a pool of hydraulic fluid that had leaked out.

AndyPJG

Yeah - while I'm all for prosecuting people who ignore mandatory signs, this wasn't the case here as people have already pointed out. It does help if you read the article before accusing people of wrongdoing ;)

The photo accompanying the article clearly shows a Mandatory sign, not an advisory one.

Established Member
The photo accompanying the article clearly shows a Mandatory sign, not an advisory one.

It also helps if you read all the previous posts before you reply to someone.

In this instance, the post which Muzer was responding to:

I assume you never read the report very well then.....

"The route which the driver had taken is correct and can be comfortably taken by these vehicles. A full investigation will take place to determine the cause of this incident."

So why would the driver be prosocuted?
I think you best let the relevant people do their investigations first before blaming the driver!
To me there looks to be plenty of clearance so quite clearly something is a miss here!

Last edited:

erk

Does anyone have any information on the causes of the disruption north of Stoke on Trent this afternoon?

I was on the 1046 from Euston to Crewe. It arrived at Stoke a couple of minutes late (1300), then returned to Stafford to get to Crewe that way. Nothing further went through the station until at least 1345 when passengers for all destinations except Macclesfield were put on buses to Crewe.

Zoidberg

Established Member
Another bridge strike on the Stoke Road restricted height bridge.

Extract from http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Trav...celled-Stoke/story-19965448-detail/story.html

ENGINEERS have given the all-clear for train services to resume over a bridge struck by a lorry this afternoon.

Police were called to the rail bridge at Stoke Road close to the junction with the A500 at about 12.50pm.

Officers say a Scania articulated truck hit became stuck under the bridge before it was hit from behind by a Ford Mondeo taxi.

And the incident comes just over two weeks since the last time the bridge was struck. On October 4 officers were called out after a skip lorry belonging to Stoke-on-Trent City Council collided with the structure.

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Another bridge strike at stoke reported today, any ideas which bridge it was this time?

thenorthern

Established Member
Another bridge strike at stoke reported today, any ideas which bridge it was this time?

It was one by the station not sure which side, it did something to the points because trains heading north were using platform 1 and trains heading south were using platform 2, normally its the other way around.

thenorthern

Established Member
Hitting the bridge has done something to the points because trains on Platform 1 are using Platform 2 and trains on Platform 2 are using Platform 1.

sd0733

Established Member
The track on the down (northbound) line has been reported by the inspection as being out of alignment therefore only the up line over the bridge is/was open.
Platform 2 can only be used by up (southbound) as the feather on the signal which is required for signalling trains over onto the currently open track is temporarily out of use so basically platform 1 is being used bi-directionally and platform 2 used for southbound trains.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I cannot comment on the specifics of this case. But generally do the railways recover the cost of the disruption and repair from those responsible? Or is that just common sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.