• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bright Bus Airport Express service

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I may be speculating a bit but could it be that they wanted the service in place before it gets to busy season so that they can iron out any issues? Also, could it be that with the reduction of the Livingston network, there would be no work left for the drivers and so they were kind of forced to start the service earlier to keep the drivers in employment. They couldn't just tell all of the drivers 'there is no work today' and either have drivers accept less/no wages or offer them redundancy and then expect drivers to flock back in a few months time when they set up the service.
Sounds reasonable. Get the glitches sorted and, as you say, they have drivers to pay or pay off so may as well start now in readiness for the first real surge, probably at Easter.
I can’t help but wonder what image this projects to those in West Lothian who just a few short months ago were worried their links in to town would vanish, had it not been for Lothian stepping in. McGills launching a new service which has clearly had a decent amount of money spent on it is sure to rub some people up the wrong way.
The vast majority of bus passengers in West Lothian will neither know nor care.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
On top of that the passengers got what they wanted. They wanted Lothian bus company to be the main operator now they are, they have to deal with awful service.

As they say be careful what you wish for...

Theproinsider

Sounds reasonable. Get the glitches sorted and, as you say, they have drivers to pay or pay off so may as well start now in readiness for the first real surge, probably at Easter.

The vast majority of bus passengers in West Lothian will neither know nor care.
They are aware, and they do care. McGill's name is mud, and plenty of people want to see them fail. Just look at the remarks on the varied Facebook groups.

Cesarcollie

They are aware, and they do care. McGill's name is mud, and plenty of people want to see them fail. Just look at the remarks on the varied Facebook groups.

A business has pulled out of a market which was losing shedloads of money and was unsustainable. And entered a new market where it believes there is an opportuniTy……… fairly normal business behaviour, and indeed any business which did otherwise wouldn’t be around for long!

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
A business has pulled out of a market which was losing shedloads of money and was unsustainable. And entered a new market where it believes there is an opportuniTy……… fairly normal business behaviour, and indeed any business which did otherwise wouldn’t be around for long!
I second this. McGills didn’t pull out of West Lothian for no reason. Had it been popular and people actually used the services then they would still be there. Period

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I said "the vast majority" - some Facebook comments isn't demonstration of that and, in any case, why would McGills actually care. They've exited the market so it doesn't matter now.
Exactly this. Not certain what McGills were expected to do... Keep operating and losing hundreds of thousands of pounds in a market where there was clearly only room for one operator?

Does seem to be some double standards. Lothian sets up incursion into West Lothian is good, yet Bright Bus incursion into tours/Airport is bad.

We will see whether BrightBus/McGills manages to carve a niche or not.

sannox

Depending on the time of day. The tram schedule is much less affected by other traffic.
It is less impacted but the tram somehow manages to feel slower than it should be- the corners and stops seem long compared to the bus.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I can’t see this service lasting. I’ve been to and from the airport four times this week for work, my Airlinks have been full while the Bright Bud runs empty, especially at the peak times for the Airport passengers (4-5am).

Tartanarmy85

I can’t see this service lasting. I’ve been to and from the airport four times this week for work, my Airlinks have been full while the Bright Bud runs empty, especially at the peak times for the Airport passengers (4-5am).
No passengers at all?

Fifescottish

Passed a few on Princes Street in Edinburgh yesterday, most were empty and the ones that had passengers only carried 2 or 3 at best. Cant be making much money from it.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Passed a few on Princes Street in Edinburgh yesterday, most were empty and the ones that had passengers only carried 2 or 3 at best. Cant be making much money from it.
It's day 3 in the quietest time of year for tourists, of course it's going to be quieter. There aren't many services which make decent money on the first few day of operation. Give it time for them to get the word out there. Hopefully McGills are looking strongly at their online sales platforms as they are in need of huge improvement.

Also, not sure if this is affecting anyone else but the bright bus tours website has stopped working. Chrome is suggesting their SSL security certificate has expired. In which case, that could be causing them some issues.

DunsBus

Established Member
I said "the vast majority" - some Facebook comments isn't demonstration of that and, in any case, why would McGills actually care. They've exited the market so it doesn't matter now.

Exactly this. Not certain what McGills were expected to do... Keep operating and losing hundreds of thousands of pounds in a market where there was clearly only room for one operator?

Does seem to be some double standards. Lothian sets up incursion into West Lothian is good, yet Bright Bus incursion into tours/Airport is bad.

We will see whether BrightBus/McGills manages to carve a niche or not.
Not that much different from 20 years ago sadly. Back then it was Lothian good, First bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

CSB0241

On Moderation
I went on day one, & there wasn’t anyone on board to the airport, but we were basically packed heading back into the city, so unless you’ve been watching them pass at Waterloo Place or heading towards the airport, I’m unsure how it could be that quiet

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I went on day one, & there wasn’t anyone on board to the airport, but we were basically packed heading back into the city, so unless you’ve been watching them pass at Waterloo Place or heading towards the airport, I’m unsure how it could be that quiet
I was along the corridor a lot yesterday and buses were empty both ways. As I've said the issue at the Airport is that the stand is right outside the exit where International Arrivals 1 is, but that's only where people coming from Ireland are arriving, so there is very little people coming out. All other arrivals are on the opposite side of the Airport and they are highly unlikely going to come out, and then walk along to Stand E without a good reason of doing so - and thus far there isn't enough advertising to make that happen.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I've seen ten of them so far this afternoon (6 inbound 4 outbound) - all were empty except three which had two people on board inbound at the junction with Lothian Road and another that had four onboard (also inbound) on Princes Street, the third dropped three people off at shandwick place. One of the buses appears to have very low rear suspension too with the front end sticking high up.

Nobody on outbound buses, Airlink buses are busy as usual.

route101

Established Member
I was along the corridor a lot yesterday and buses were empty both ways. As I've said the issue at the Airport is that the stand is right outside the exit where International Arrivals 1 is, but that's only where people coming from Ireland are arriving, so there is very little people coming out. All other arrivals are on the opposite side of the Airport and they are highly unlikely going to come out, and then walk along to Stand E without a good reason of doing so - and thus far there isn't enough advertising to make that happen.
I didn't realise International arrivals 1 was Ireland only, I thought it was split between 1 and 2.

Time will tell with the service. Its early days.

Theproinsider

I second this. McGills didn’t pull out of West Lothian for no reason. Had it been popular and people actually used the services then they would still be there. Period
You have to provide a reliable service for people to use, which they have not. Pulling all Sunday services kind of gave the first hint they couldn't give a hoot, and then attacking everyone wasn't very businesslike.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Okay, we're not digging up the whole Eastern Scottish saga again; that chapter is closed. This thread is for discussing the Bright Bus airport services only.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
One of the Bright Bus Expresses which passed me today looked unusually busy, likely most seats taken.
Friday is normally a generally busy day for flying, I had to let an Airlink go past me because it was completely full.

I didn't realise International arrivals 1 was Ireland only, I thought it was split between 1 and 2.

Time will tell with the service. Its early days.
The split fully depends on where the aircraft parks. International 1 covers Gate 1-9(ish) but that’s usually where they shove the Irish/Domestic flights.

Late evening there tends to be international flights parking on that side, but International 1 normally closes at a certain time.

As you said, Summer is more of a split, but for now it’s majority Irish flights.

DunsBus

Established Member
Perhaps this may change in summer months. It was certainly like this yesterday but it's only the start of the year.
Guide Friday launched its Airbus Express (the last time that there was competition on the Airport service) in mid-autumn. It soon picked up and lasted for ten years.

Don't forget that Guide Friday used elderly vehicles throughout the service's existence, typically ranging from between 14 to 19 years old and replaced by slightly newer vehicles once the previous ones wore out. When the Airbus Express started, it had a courier and an on-board telephone, things which Lothian didn't offer even though its vehicles were significantly newer.

The refurbished mid-life E300s Bright Bus are using are mere youngsters by comparison.

jb66

I think it might pick up a few more passengers if it went via park and ride, at the moment there is not many free options for non Edinburgh concession card holders to get Into Edinburgh from P and R

route101

Established Member
Friday is normally a generally busy day for flying, I had to let an Airlink go past me because it was completely full.

The split fully depends on where the aircraft parks. International 1 covers Gate 1-9(ish) but that’s usually where they shove the Irish/Domestic flights.

Late evening there tends to be international flights parking on that side, but International 1 normally closes at a certain time.

As you said, Summer is more of a split, but for now it’s majority Irish flights.
There are still a of people not back to work until Monday 8th, likely to get quieter before it ramps up in the spring.

VioletEclipse

I would assume they have plans in place to eihter fit the Airport Express fleet with onboard next stop info or replace them with newer buses within the next 2 years.
Then again, It may seem close, but 2 years ago now McGill's didn't operate near the Lothians and few people thought they would, and with all that's happened since then, it's probably too early have much idea of what it'll look like then.