• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton-Ashford International service saved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wellhouse

The terminology 'stakeholders' implies that a number of the responses came from groups rather than individuals, and these may be User Groups or Local Authorities who made representations on behalf of a significantly greater number of passengers.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I used to love the old change from DEMU to EMU at Hastings and EMU to EMU at Lewes. Used to take around a whole day to get from Ashford to Brighton and back :)

It has to be said though that the through service has greatly improved connections along the coast - even the female members of my family don't mind the day-trip to Brighton now.

Ivo

Established Member
It has to be said though that the through service has greatly improved connections along the coast - even the female members of my family don't mind the day-trip to Brighton now.

A few years ago my mother and I stayed at Camber Sands near Rye. Whilst we were there we went to Eastbourne, Folkestone and Brighton. Whilst we managed Folkestone by bus (711), we would have found the other two difficult. Eastbourne would have been tough without the longer-distance route, but Brighton...!

Drsatan

Established Member
That's very good news.

In 2006 I got on a Brighton-Ashford International service at Brighton, which consisted of a 170. Although it was lunchtime I'd estimate the service was about 75-80% full, so there's obviously demand for it.

A60K

Did I really read that this decision was based on inputs from 164 respondees? I doubt such a number even passes the statistically valid hurdle let alone significance.

I think that's actually quite a high number of responses for a consultation such as this, indicating strength of feeling.

Railway closure proposals often have attracted less interest - not including Settle-Carlisle of course!

Minstral25

Established Member
Good news I think but how are they going to run the 313's on the all electric services that are now 172's to Ashford which should have gone to strengthen the full trains on the Uckfield line?

MCR247

Established Member
That's very good news.

In 2006 I got on a Brighton-Ashford International service at Brighton, which consisted of a 170. Although it was lunchtime I'd estimate the service was about 75-80% full, so there's obviously demand for it.

It'd be a 171

Bedpan

Established Member
Is this going to have any impact on the Wandsworth Road - Ealing Broadway service, which I though was relying on a 171 being made available following the curtailment of the Ashford - Brighton service.

acg5324

Is this going to have any impact on the Wandsworth Road - Ealing Broadway service, which I though was relying on a 171 being made available following the curtailment of the Ashford - Brighton service.

No as the Wandsworth Rd to Ealing Broadway service starts May and the East Coastway timetable was for December.

We have plenty of 171's spare between the peaks at Selhurst Depot

The Eastcoastway plan would have freed up a 171 to strengthen a peak Uckfield line service to 8 cars vice 6.

The class 313's are releasing class 377/3's to strengthen Metro services up to 10 cars and would not be used on a Brighton to Hastings working. The certificate for use does not allow it.

HSTChris

I'm glad this has been saved! - I do think the 171's need lengthening through Bexhill where I live, but I realise that, realistically, this isn't possible.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Is this service just a shuttle between the two, or something different?

Status
Not open for further replies.