• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton & Hove / Metrobus Discussion

Hophead

Established Member
The first vehicle in the new Brighton & Hove colours has emerged, and it's a single decker! Former Metrobus Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipse 6004 (BN14 CUJ) is now numbered 152. I understand that 7 of these are to transfer from Crawley, though I don't know what their intended allocation will be.

152 is the cover star of the latest fleetlist.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
The first vehicle in the new Brighton & Hove colours has emerged, and it's a single decker! Former Metrobus Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipse 6004 (BN14 CUJ) is now numbered 152. I understand that 7 of these are to transfer from Crawley, though I don't know what their intended allocation will be.

152 is the cover star of the latest fleetlist.
Makes a change for buses to transfer to B&H from Metrobus - usually it is the other way round!

Edvid

Established Member
I think there was some problem with the refuelling station.
Just noted Roger French wrote about the Hydroliners on his blog a couple of months ago. Looks like a longstanding issue and will take quite some time to resolve.
However, one of the current drawbacks of hydrogen operation is the very limited supply of Green Hydrogen. This is affecting all the above mentioned fleets, and indeed at Metrobus only around five of the new fleet are in service on any one day while the current fuelling arrangements at the company’s Crawley bus garage are from a temporary installation with the permanent facility awaiting official authorisation and approval.

busesrusuk

At todays London Bus Museum event at Brooklands, one of the first deckers to appear in the new B&H livery made an appearance. Liveries are of course subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think it looks quite eye catching. Other opinions are, of course, available(!):

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
At todays London Bus Museum event at Brooklands, one of the first deckers to appear in the new B&H livery made an appearance. Liveries are of course subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think it looks quite eye catching. Other opinions are, of course, available(!):

It's hideous (in my opinion)! It's still far too "Arriva" for my liking :)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Passing through Crawley yesterday, I noted all sorts of odd allocations - fastway branded buses on ordinary routes, buses operating services with branding for another, and double deckers on both the 10 and 100. Almost an attempt to run as many buses on the wrong routes as possible.

Having said that, one of the double deck 10s did seem well loaded.

MotCO

Established Member
Passing through Crawley yesterday, I noted all sorts of odd allocations - fastway branded buses on ordinary routes, buses operating services with branding for another, and double deckers on both the 10 and 100. Almost an attempt to run as many buses on the wrong routes as possible.
Obviously Metrobus are still unable to put out a full squadron of hydrogen buses on the Fastway routes until the hydrogen supply issues are sorted. Thus they cannot rebrand the old Fastway buses, so some probably will get wrongly allocated.

I'm still looking for the first bus in full Metrobus livery to appear on the old Southdown PSV routes. I did wonder if the three Volvo AD400s (ex VE1 - 3) were destined for Southdown to replace the Presidents.

AB93

I'm still looking for the first bus in full Metrobus livery to appear on the old Southdown PSV routes. I did wonder if the three Volvo AD400s (ex VE1 - 3) were destined for Southdown to replace the Presidents.
The last remaining Scania OmniDekka has been running out of Copthorne for about a week or so now.

Hophead

Established Member
Post 55 seems to be referring to new vehicles for Metrobus.

Brighton and Hove are expecting 44 Enviro 400s, mostly for Newhaven, where they will operate the 12s and the 14. The other 7 will run on route 6.

MasterSpenny

MotCO

Established Member
The first brand new Coastliner Enviro 400 MMC (fleet number 701, registered YY73THF) has been pictured.

So much for the new B&H livery!

Also, RouteOne reports that B&H is to purchase the Seven Sisters Bus and Coach's Eastbourne Sightseeing operation.

Eastbourne Sightseeing operation to be purchased by Go-Ahead​

The Go-Ahead Group is to purchase the Eastbourne Sightseeing open-top operation from Seven Sisters Bus and Coach. Once the transaction is complete, the business will become part of the group’s Brighton and Hove Buses operating company.
Eastbourne Sightseeing is based in Ringmer near Lewes. It owns nine open-top vehicles that are used seasonally to provide tours on the seafront, around Eastbourne, and into the South Downs. 2024 operations begin on 29 March.
Go-Ahead says that the Eastbourne Sightseeing brand will be retained and that its website and marketing knowledge will be used “to build demand for the tour in the future.” Opening partnership marketing opportunities with train operating company Southern also forms part of aspirations for the open-top business.

Eastbourne Sightseeing adds to 15 open-top tours already part of the Go-Ahead business in the UK. Brighton and Hove Buses Managing Director Ed Wills has described the East Sussex sightseeing undertaking as “a thriving operator,” and notes that Go-Ahead intends to “build on its success, invest in the business, and look at opportunities for expansion.”
Seven Sisters Bus and Coach MD David Mulpeter says that he is “delighted” to see the Eastbourne Sightseeing operation join Brighton and Hove Buses.

Adds Mr Mulpeter: “We are incredibly proud of the success of the open-top route over the last few years, and I have every confidence that the team at Brighton and Hove will continue building and developing the service for the future.”
Purchase of the Eastbourne operation is a further bout of regional expansion by Go-Ahead, and follows its purchases of Dartline Coaches, Pulhams Coaches, and Southdown Buses since late 2022.
CEO Matt Carney notes that the group has “an eye for expansion in the regional bus industry” and that it “aims to invest in communities across the UK and to grow the popularity of bus travel.”

hdennis13

MasterSpenny

According to buslistsontheweb.co.uk, approximately more of the Enviro 400 MMCs fleet details have been identified.
Fleet NumberRegistration
702YY73THG
703YY73THK
704YY73THN
705YY73TKN
706YY73TKO
707YY73TKT
708YY73TKU
709YY73TKV
710YY73TKX
711YY73TKZ
712YY73TLF
713YY73TLJ
714YY73TLK
715YY73TLN
716YY73TLO
717YY73TLU
718YY73TLV
719YY73TLX
720YY73TLZ
721YY73TMO
722YY73TMU
723YY73TMV
724YY73TMX
725YY73TMZ
726YY73TNE

Mollman

Established Member
So much for the new B&H livery!

Also, RouteOne reports that B&H is to purchase the Seven Sisters Bus and Coach's Eastbourne Sightseeing operation.

I think sensibly they are keeping the stand alone liveries as buses are also still recieving the updated Regency brand too.

hdennis13

I think sensibly they are keeping the stand alone liveries as buses are also still recieving the updated Regency brand too.
I'm interested to see what livery for the 7 new buses for route 6 will be.
I'd also like route 25 to gain a stand alone livery.

buslad1988

I'm interested to see what livery for the 7 new buses for route 6 will be.
I'd also like route 25 to gain a stand alone livery.
I’d hope except for Regency/Coaster all standard city routes (like the 6) will simply be in the new livery with some additional route specific branding relating to the coloured lines (as per all previous B&H schemes).

If they start introducing route specific liveries across the board then there was absolutely no point coming up with the new look at all.

SeveerYeliab

I was reading a few comments on Facebook about outstations for Brighton and Hove around Eastbourne and apparently a soon to be Ringmere. Does anyone have a list of the current Brighton and Hove outstations?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I was reading a few comments on Facebook about outstations for Brighton and Hove around Eastbourne and apparently a soon to be Ringmere. Does anyone have a list of the current Brighton and Hove outstations?

The current Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company Ltd licence has the following operating centres listed alongside the number of vehicles authorised at each. At the bottom of the list, the three Crawley/Copthorne sites are Metrobus locations, but appear on there as Metrobus is operated using the Brighton & Hove operator licence.

CONWAY STREET, HOVE, BN3 3LT, GB2870
WHITEHAWK ROAD, BRIGHTON, BN2 5NS, GB2500
TRESSLER COACHWORKS, BELL LANE, BELLBROOK INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, UCKFIELD, TN22 1QL, GB50
STAGECOACH EASTBOURNE, BIRCH ROAD, EASTBOURNE, BN23 6PD, GB60
UNIT 1, NEWHAVEN WORKSHOPS, BEACH CLOSE, NEWHAVEN, BN9 0BY, GB700
107 LEWES ROAD, BRIGHTON, BN2 4AE, GB2500
Wheatstone Close, Crawley, RH10 9UA, GB1500
Collinwood, Unit 3B, Wheatstone Close, Crawley, RH10 9UA, GB120
Southdown PSV Ltd, Unit 3, Silverwood, Snow Hill, Copthorne, RH10 3EN, GB300
Source: https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/view-details/licence/20176

Lynford1976

The current Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company Ltd licence has the following operating centres listed alongside the number of vehicles authorised at each. At the bottom of the list, the three Crawley/Copthorne sites are Metrobus locations, but appear on there as Metrobus is operated using the Brighton & Hove operator licence.

Source: https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/view-details/licence/20176

In that list, Eastbourne and Uckfield are the "true" outstations. All the other locations have a specific allocation of vehicles.

Ringmer is a location coming with the acquisition of Eastbourne Sightseeing, although (I think) its been used in the past by Go-Ahead London's Commercial Services as a base for its rail replacement fleet?

MotCO

Established Member

Given that some buses have transferred between Brighton & Hove and Metrobus and vice versa, would it make sense for both fleets to be in the same livery? In fact, the style of the B&H livery is not dissimilar to that of Metrobus, although the blues are different.