• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton to Hove stock allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Hi,

On Sundays what is the standard traction for the Brighton to Hove shuttles operated by Southern (2Nxx)? I am trying to do a TT for a railway simulation and am in slight confusion: the Network Rail WTT says the timing load is 375s and OpenTrainTimes says EMU at 100mph but I thought Class 313s (75mph) worked these short runs? Or have Southern retired the 313s?

The same timing load (375s) is also given for the Brighton to Seaford which I have set up as being all Class 377s although Wikipedia says 313s also work this route. But again the timing on OTT is given as an EMU at 100mph and, as I don't live anywhere near the area, I am none the wiser.

Cheers,
Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Hi,

On Sundays what is the standard traction for the Brighton to Hove shuttles operated by Southern (2Nxx)? I am trying to do a TT for a railway simulation and am in slight confusion: the Network Rail WTT says the timing load is 375s and OpenTrainTimes says EMU at 100mph but I thought Class 313s (75mph) worked these short runs? Or have Southern retired the 313s?

The same timing load (375s) is also given for the Brighton to Seaford which I have set up as being all Class 377s although Wikipedia says 313s also work this route. But again the timing on OTT is given as an EMU at 100mph and, as I don't live anywhere near the area, I am none the wiser.

Cheers,
Dave

On Southern a generic 375 timing load is used for both 313 and 377 operated services along both East and West Coastway.

To see what is actually booked as 313 or 377 you will need Southern a Rolling Stock Diagrams or a Southern Carriage Working notice, neither of which I believe are publicly available but someone with access to one of these documents might be able to assist.

The 313s have not been retired.

DaveHarries

Established Member
It used to be a 313 but 377s have been known to substitute.
Thanks both for the info. I just checked the diagrams on RTT and I think it must be 377s all day. The diagram is operated by one train at a time. Later in the day I am working on the TT of - 22nd November 2020, a Sunday - we have this:

2N64 dep. Brighton (P1) @ 2110, arr. Hove (P1) @ 2114
5S33 dep. Hove (P1) @ 2130, arr. Brighton (P2) @ 2134
2E72 dep. Brighton (P2) @ 2155 for Littlehampton. First working from P2 @ BTN after 5S33's arrival.

likewise:

2S87 arr. Brighton (P2) @ 2204 from Portsmouth Harbour
2N68 dep. Brighton (P2) @ 2210, arr. Hove (P1) @ 2214

Therefore I think that the Hove shuttles on 22nd November are probably all 377s, probably 4-car sets, and I will set them as such. It would explain why the timing loads on RTT are given as EMU @ 100mph.

Dave

seaviewer

Dave,

class 313s nearly always work the Brighton-Seaford services (I have seen three or four today during my permitted exercise!)

In pre-virus days 2*377s used to work the service on Saturdays when Brighton FC were playing at home, to cope with the crowds travelling to and from Falmer.

Domh245

Established Member
It might be worth checking UKModernEMU on groups.io - they have Carriage Working Notices for different operators with an EMU focus, most relevantly GTR (really just Southern) in this case. Checking the December 19 Sun CWN, Brighton - Hove is 377s all day with 5 different diagrams working it at different points

Kite159

Veteran Member
On a Sunday it is usually a 377 because it gets sent to Southampton as the 17:00 service (from the 16:52 arrival from Hove). The unit from Portsmouth (arrives at 17:04 due to having an extended wait at Barnham, which I assume is due to a GWR unit passing it there if it was running).

DaveTM

I drove a Hove shuttle Monday, two on Saturday, and several over the previous couple of weeks. All were honest, clockwork, 313s. None were plasticky comfortable 377s. The only significant change from pre-covid timetables is that they tend to bounce off Hove platform 3 instead of platform 1. Thankfully none of them were the cursed 313201 and I didn't have to do the foot motions and pretend to be Fred Flintstone.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It would explain why the timing loads on RTT are given as EMU @ 100mph.
Dave as mentioned in my earlier post all Southern Coastway services whether planned for 313 or 377 operation are timed as EMU 100mph.
On the sections 313s operate there are next to no sections of line where the linespeed is greater than 75mph thus when 313s were introduced the existing Section Running Times were used.

StephenHunter

Established Member
As an aside, what is wrong with 313.201?

I haven't seen her/been down that way for months

313 201 is the unit painted in BR Blue/Grey, albeit a modified version to fit with the accessibility rules and missing the BR symbols. It used to be 313 001, the first of the class built and is designated for the National Collection as the first of the 'second-generation EMUs'. Not sure why it's cursed though...

BRblue

313 201 is the unit painted in BR Blue/Grey, albeit a modified version to fit with the accessibility rules and missing the BR symbols. It used to be 313 001, the first of the class built and is designated for the National Collection as the first of the 'second-generation EMUs'. Not sure why it's cursed though...
Just a guess... it seems to spend more time in the workshop than it does out on the track.

BRblue

Hi,

Cheers,
Dave
Currently on the day you have requested... 22/11/2020 on the Coastway the following are the only services booked to be class 313's.
2L08/09Brighton - Lewes - Brighton.
All 2CXX Brighton - Seaford - Brighton.
All 2PXX Bognor - Littlehampton - Bognor.

Hope this helps.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Hi,

Cheers,
Dave
Post 11 in this thread has a detailed list of the class 313 workings.

BRblue

Post 11 in this thread has a detailed list of the class 313 workings.

Except the OP specified a specific day/date Sunday 22nd hence my post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.