• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol to Blackpool return, weekday, RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going South

Can anyone help me get htis price down?
I need to travel from Bristol to Blackpool (preferably North) on Tuesday May 24th. I need to be in Blackpool by 1pm, so am aiming to get the 0830 from Bristol Temple Meads, changing at Birmingham New Street and Preston.
Coming back I'd prefer to have a bit of flexibility - I don't know how long I need in Blackpool - it'll be either the 1640, 1737 or 1844 train from Blackpool North, I guess.
I have a YP Railcard.
I've tried a couple of splits, but the best I've come up with so far is £56.55 for an Off-peak return.
Can anyone help pull this down below £50?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
Bristol TM - Hereford Off Peak Day Return £14.60. Valid from 0830, travelling short allowed to Birmingham NS (permitted route - although it may be worth being armed with a copy of the relevant map from the Routeing Guide (Map CE) should you encounter on train staff who say otherwise - I've used the ticket numerous times without problem. PM me if you want further details of the Routeing Guide)

Birmingham NS -Crewe Off Peak Return £14.60.

Crewe - Warrington BQ Anytime Day Return £6.60

Warrington BQ - Blackpool North Anytime Return £9.65

TOTAL: £45.45

Taking the 0830 from Bristol changing at Brum and Preston is fine with this combination of tickets. The latter two fares will be after the 1000 minimum fare threshold for 16-25 Railcard.

On either of your mentioned return trains this combination is also fine. Trains call at all the split points.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member

bnm

Established Member
Birmingham - Chester Off peak Day Return, £12.

Good find. :D

At the time the OP wishes to travel (he'll be leaving Birmingham NS at 1020) he can get the full 16-25 discount - making this fare £11.30.

But, Hang on. Birmingham to Wrexham General is also valid via Crewe, and that fare, Off Peak Day Return (after 1000 with 16-25 Railcard) is £9.30!!

So revised total:

• Bristol TM - Hereford Off Peak Day Return (0830 travelling short to Birmingham NS - change) £14.60
  • Birmingham NS - Wrexham General Off Peak Day Return (1020 travelling short to Crewe - stay on train to Preston) £9.30
  • Crewe - Warrington BQ Anytime Day Return £6.60
  • Warrington BQ - Blackpool North (change Preston) Anytime Return £9.65
TOTAL: £40.15

OwlMan

Established Member
A Stockport - Blackpool day return is valid via Stafford (easement 91 re Norton Bridge)

• Bristol TM - Hereford Off Peak Day Return (0830 travelling short to Birmingham NS - change) £14.60
  • Birmingham NS - Stafford Off Peak Day Return (1020 travelling short to Crewe - stay on train to Preston) £6.00
  • Stockport - Blackpool Off Peak Day Return £10-35
Total £30-95

Peter

Last edited:

Going South

Many thanks to you all for your advice, as well as for the PM. It is much appreciated.
Going South
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've just been looking at map CE - does Bristol-Hereford not involve doubling back at Birmingham?

premier01

Birmingham - Chester Off peak Day Return, £12.

I am trying to interpert the Norton Bridge easement-it refers to journeys to Norton Bridge but the ticket suggested is Blackpool North to Stockport so would that be valid as that's not a ticket to Norton Bridge-not saying it's incorrect just trying to interpert this correctly.

OwlMan

Established Member
A Stockport - Blackpool day return is valid via Stafford (easement 91 re Norton Bridge)

• Birmingham NS - Stafford Off Peak Day Return (1020 travelling short to Crewe - stay on train to Preston) £6.00
  • Stockport - Blackpool Off Peak Day Return £10-35
Total £30-95
Technically on Map LM the Stockport - Blackpool ticket is valid via Stoke & avoiding Stafford to Rugby and then via Coventry, Brirmingham, Stafford to Cewe and Preston.

You then only need a Bristol TM - Hereford Off Peak Day Return (0830 travelling short to Birmingham NS - change) £14.60 and a Stockport - Blackpool Off Peak Day Return £10-35
Total £24-95.

If you did try this I would probably take copies of the routeing guide tables & maps as a guard or RPI might not believe it is valid,

Peter

Last edited:

premier01

Technically on Map LM the Stockport - Blackpool ticket is valid via Stoke & avoiding Stafford to Rugby and then via Coventry, Brirmingham, Stafford to Cewe and Preston.

You then only need a Bristol TM - Hereford Off Peak Day Return (0830 travelling short to Birmingham NS - change) £14.60 and a Stockport - Blackpool Off Peak Day Return £10-35
Total £24-95.

If you did try this I would probably take copies of the routeing guide tables & maps as a guard or RPI might not believe it is valid,

Peter

I could be missing the point here but are you saying a Blackpool to Stockport ticket is valid to travel via Stoke-if so can you travel short to Stoke and therefore pay £14.60 instead of whatever the price of a Blackpool to Stoke ticket is-sure it would be a lot more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.