• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol to Brighton step free

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie365

Hello, a friend needs to travel Bristol TM to Brighton shortly.

Connections need to be step free (though a step from platform to train is fine) as she'll have loads of heavy luggage.

I know she can go via Southampton but that's really slow and the Bristol-Salisbury trains are always packed.

So I was wondering if the Hammersmith & City line from Paddington to Farringdon or St Pancras would work?

I've checked the step free guide but have been given conflicting info.

Are there lifts or escalators at the H&C tube station at Paddington?

If not, I vaguely remember the District line is step free Eastbound but not Southbound, so could she maybe on the way out change at Edgware Road? Will H&C trains stop on the same island as District ones? Then on the way back get off at Blackfriars and get the circle line?

I'm assuming there are lifts between Thameslink and tube at the new Blackfriars station? And at Farringdon can you get the lift from the tube to the tube ticket office, cross the road to the Thameslink station, then get the lift back down to the Thameslink platforms?

Or is there a better way I've not thought of?

Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengley

Established Member
Could she not just ask for staff assistance rather than faffing around going silly routes?

A0wen

On Moderation
Hello, a friend needs to travel Bristol TM to Brighton shortly.

Connections need to be step free (though a step from platform to train is fine) as she'll have loads of heavy luggage.

I know she can go via Southampton but that's really slow and the Bristol-Salisbury trains are always packed.

So I was wondering if the Hammersmith & City line from Paddington to Farringdon or St Pancras would work?

I've checked the step free guide but have been given conflicting info.

Are there lifts or escalators at the H&C tube station at Paddington?

If not, I vaguely remember the District line is step free Eastbound but not Southbound, so could she maybe on the way out change at Edgware Road? Will H&C trains stop on the same island as District ones? Then on the way back get off at Blackfriars and get the circle line?

I'm assuming there are lifts between Thameslink and tube at the new Blackfriars station? And at Farringdon can you get the lift from the tube to the tube ticket office, cross the road to the Thameslink station, then get the lift back down to the Thameslink platforms?

Or is there a better way I've not thought of?

Thank you!

It's a long walk from H&C to Thameslink at St Pancras. Farringdon would be a more logical change point, but the trains to Brighton are usually busy.

The most sensible way, if as you say, she's got loads of heavy luggage would be a cab from Paddington to Victoria and get the train from Victoria to Brighton.

Not the cheapest way admittedly, but probably the easiest and this way she's more likely to get a seat for the journey to Brighton.

N Levers

Have you thought about Bristol -> Reading -> Gatwick -> Brighton.

The only downside is if the FGW uses platform 3 at Gatwick you have to go through the ticket barriers twice if you want step free.

Abpj17

The layout around Blackfriars is easier to follow than at Farringdon imo

richw

Veteran Member
Would the slower direct services not be easier if got to hurl large luggage about? To me the direct convenience would be my choice if carrying large luggage even if it is slower, and definitely preferential to a London transfer!

cookie365

Oh, thanks, didn't know there was a direct service, I'll see if that would suit her better

cookie365

She's decided to go for the option to change at Reading and Gatwick.

Thanks for everybody's helpful responses :D - so everyone who posted, except one moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.