• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brit Rail GB Tickets - Why are they are not available for UK residents ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheshirePaul

While on line I came across on the Visit Britian web site Brit Rail GB rail tickets that are valid on all GB mainland rail TOC's.

Quote:

" The Train is undoubtedly the most scenic and relaxing way to see Britain. The BritRail GB Consecutive Pass offers unlimited travel on any scheduled train over the whole of England, Scotland and Wales within its period of validity - so it's never been easier to get around!"

Adult prices:

4 Days Adult £135.00

8 Days Adult £189.00

15 Days Adult £285.00

22 Days Adult £339.00

1 Month Adult £399.00

This seems great value if you wanted a week or 2 around the Uk's railway stations for a holiday and not just beem limited to 1 area like with some rover tickets. But it states on the web site " BritRail passes are not available for UK residents ", and they will not be sold or dispached to UK address.

Why is this ? it seems a bit unfair to have such tickets only avaiable to overseas visitors.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It's mainly to attract tourists, many countries and areas have them and it is the same story, only available to those from overseas. Still we do have the All Line Rovers here which are basically just the same, just more expensive.

Fincra5

Established Member
Its a huge price increase for Uk residents for 14 days, compared to the 15day price as shown in the above post :s

bluenoxid

Established Member
Most of the users will not use them in the peak or for all of the 15 days, whilst most Brits will.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Other countries do indeed have them, conveniant way to allow tourists to travel without sorting out individual tickets.

flymo

Established Member
Just FYI

The prices quoted on the Britrail website for an all GB Ticket from Hong Kong are

3 days £120
4 Days £148
8 Days £212
15 Days £315
22 Days £381
1 Month £448

All standard class and all converted from Euro as the prices on the site are quoted in Euro. There is a 20% discount if bought between Sep - Feb used Nov - Feb.

Last time I checked the freedom of Scotland pass, it was cheaper to buy in UK as the one bought from the Britrail website was a bit more expensive than the UK version. I can't check that one at the moment as it says the prices in Euro are not currently available so it doesn't show any prices.

Edit:

Just found the Freedom of Scotland prices and from over here they show:

4 in 8 £140 (bought in UK £114)
8 in 15 £187 (bought in UK £153)

so they still are cheaper in the UK. The validity is similar, i.e. not valid before 0915 Mon-Fri except on the West Highland and Far North lines.

Last edited:

blackfive460

I use country vouchers... £5 a day, unlimited travel with a maximum of 16 days a year for the UK.
Ok then, while I'm sure they'll not be something I could get and since I'll bet there are others wondering the same thing, I'll ask; what are Country Vouchers?

Status
Not open for further replies.