• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Rail sign inside tube station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

The ones on the platforms at Marylebone have recently been covered up with stickers saying “National Rail”

I Believe there is still something similar at Greenford pointing passengers towards the bay platform for the West Ealing Shuttle...

Recessio

Vauxhall LU, I believe? Interesting that a sign has been out of date for so long that it has now with GBR become correct again!

Semi-related, the Central line "sonya" announcements still referred to changing for Network Southeast (the Waterloo & City) services at Bank for years after the transfer to LUL, up until their next refurbishment.

boiledbeans2

There are a lot of old maps around, especially in Central London tube stations - the large map on the curved track wall. I can't remember where, but I remembered seeing the old 1980s DLR logo on one of the maps, and of course a lot of BR (Bank W&C platforms have the 1990s DLR logo). I remember some maps still refer to the H&C as the Met.

Liverpool Street Central Line has a map at the bottom of the escalators with Epping - Ongar covered up.

Edit: after checking some online photos, the Liverpool Street Central Line map is the one with the 1980s DLR logo.

Edit 2: which... no longer exists at Liverpool Street.... Probably removed when Crossrail opened.

Last edited:

321over360

Vauxhall LU, I believe? Interesting that a sign has been out of date for so long that it has now with GBR become correct again!

Semi-related, the Central line "sonya" announcements still referred to changing for Network Southeast (the Waterloo & City) services at Bank for years after the transfer to LUL, up until their next refurbishment.
It did with Stratford and Liverpool Street too until the 2000s, as they were still doing "This is Stratford, Change for Docklands Light Railway and Network SouthEast services" until the milenium if i recall correctly, same with Liverpool Street which prevailed as "This is Liverpool St, Change for Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City and Circle Lines, Network SouthEast and Intercity Services" for many a year post privatisation.
There are a lot of old maps around, especially in Central London tube stations - the large map on the curved track wall. I can't remember where, but I remembered seeing the old 1980s DLR logo on one of the maps, and of course a lot of BR (Bank W&C platforms have the 1990s DLR logo). I remember some maps still refer to the H&C as the Met.

Liverpool Street Central Line has a map at the bottom of the escalators with Epping - Ongar covered up.

Edit: after checking some online photos, the Liverpool Street Central Line map is the one with the 1980s DLR logo.

Edit 2: which... no longer exists at Liverpool Street.... Probably removed when Crossrail opened.
I think there is a map at Newbury Park which still has the Epping to Ongar branch covered up behind a sticker. Most of Central Line has been updated with stickers cos its cheaper than full maps, as im sure once Bond Street Crossrail platforms opens they will just update the carriage maps with a small sticker rather than using new maps given it makes more sense less hassle and is far cheaper to do,

NSE

Established Member
and signs for Bristol at Clapham Junction platform
There’s loads of old and out of date signage or evidence of signage around the network. The down fast SWML still shows Penzance, Plymouth and other west of Exeter stations on the list at the top of the staircase that SWT stopped serving since before they became SWR.

Things get stickered over when changes happen so it’s quite common to see evidence of what was there before.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most of Central Line has been updated with stickers cos its cheaper than full maps, as im sure once Bond Street Crossrail platforms opens they will just update the carriage maps with a small sticker rather than using new maps given it makes more sense less hassle and is far cheaper to do,
There appears to have been a change of policy of late whereby entire new car line diagrams are being produced rather than individual stickers that go over stations or groups of stations, even for relatively short-term things, such as the Bank blockade on the Northern line earlier this year, and on the Jubilee and Central lines where Crossrail interchange at Bond Street is shown as crossed through.

0nlySam

I think there is a map at Newbury Park which still has the Epping to Ongar branch covered up behind a sticker. Most of Central Line has been updated with stickers cos its cheaper than full maps, as im sure once Bond Street Crossrail platforms opens they will just update the carriage maps with a small sticker rather than using new maps given it makes more sense less hassle and is far cheaper to do,
Similarly, the Aldwych branch is visible on the Piccadilly line map on the eastbound platform at Baron's Court, as the presumably 28-year old sticker is peeling off.

boiledbeans2

There appears to have been a change of policy of late whereby entire new car line diagrams are being produced rather than individual stickers that go over stations or groups of stations, even for relatively short-term things, such as the Bank blockade on the Northern line earlier this year, and on the Jubilee and Central lines where Crossrail interchange at Bond Street is shown as crossed through.
Maybe it would have been better to produce the "final" Central Line map showing the interchange at Bond Street. Then cover it with a sticker for the time being. When the Bond Street interchange eventually opens, peel off the sticker to reveal the clean final map.

Vespa

Established Member
Similarly, the Aldwych branch is visible on the Piccadilly line map on the eastbound platform at Baron's Court, as the presumably 28-year old sticker is peeling off.
Is it still there ? I've not noticed myself, is there a photo ?

0nlySam

Is it still there ? I've not noticed myself, is there a photo ?
"Barely visible" would admittedly be more accurate, but you can definitely see it at least ;)

Attachments

• PXL_20220908_200439320.jpg
    PXL_20220908_200439320.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 100

Vespa

Established Member
Thanks, that's fascinating, I remember riding it just before it closed, if I recall I went through a side portal at Holborn to go to Aldwych.

Status
Not open for further replies.