• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Rail Water Abstraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

aar0

Hi all,

I've just been reading a 1970 Water Board report, which makes reference to BR's water abstractions - ie: "British Rail have various isolated abstractions but these are of little or no consequence and are slowly being abandoned."

Any idea what these would be for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I remember seeing an article about BR using water from a well in Dover during the 1990's as a result of the long hosepipe bans we used to have then.

The accompanying picture showed a couple of water tanks being hauled through Ashford by a pair of MLV's I think !

John Webb

Established Member
They originally were, of course, for refilling steam engine tanks and tenders. They tended to be at remote locations from mains supplies. Or where there was a canal or river adjacent to an engine shed. The Great Western Railway eventually owned the Stratford-on-Avon canal, and where their line to Alcester passed under Bearley (also known as Edstone) aquaduct simply took a feed from the aquaduct! In some places where substantial sheds or works were developed, with associated workers' housing, the railway company often suppled gas and water to the houses as well as to the works, shed and station.

BR Steam had stopped in 1968 (except for the Vale of Rheidol line) and so their need for water was much reduced. But presumably some supply was still needed for isolated stations and some housing.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Presumably in some cases water troughs were remote from mains water supplies? Were these generally supplied from water towers? I recall passing a relatively remote and derelict (well very rusty) looking water tower beside the Derby - Birmingham line somewhere near Tamworth and thinking that this was probably located to supply water troughs o the line at the place concerned - this was not many years ago but maybe more than 5 years ago. By remote I mean not near an obvious station location.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
The 4-track water troughs at Creech, east of Taunton, were sited there because it's alongside the Bridgwater canal, which had been owned by the railway since mid-Victorian times, so no money changed hands for the water. There was a steam-powered pump house, the building is still there. It had a large storage tank above, which the pump kept topped up, and rapid fill large bore pipes to each of the troughs, which could resupply the troughs quite quickly after say two double-headed trains both passed. The canal was well-known by the 1960s for extensive weed on the surface, which requires multiple filters. As well as the water supply, the line alongside the canal is obviously level, which is what you need for the troughs, thus it was just the right site.

John Webb

Established Member
Presumably in some cases water troughs were remote from main supplies? Were these generally supplied from water towers? I recall passing a relatively remote and derelict (well very rusty) looking water tower beside the Derby - Birmingham line somewhere near Tamworth and thinking that this was probably located to supply water troughs o the line at the place concerned - this was not many years ago but maybe more than 5 years ago. By remote I mean not near an obvious station location.
According to my pre-grouping atlas there were water troughs on the Midland line at Haselour north of Tamworth and at Hademore on the LNWR NW of Tamworth.

WesternLancer

Established Member
According to my pre-grouping atlas there were water troughs on the Midland line at Haselour north of Tamworth and at Hademore on the LNWR NW of Tamworth.
Thanks John - it would have been the Haselour ones then. I've just looked at google earth satellite pics but can't see the water tower I recall - but it's not 100% clear enough in the image to be certain that it is no longer there. I recall it being on the east side of the line and the train was in a slight cutting. I thought 'odd place for a water tower' and saw in my own atlas that there had been troughs - so concluded it was a tower to feed the troughs. The water tower being sort of up above the running lines in or at the top of the cutting. I thought it was a bit of a constrained site so that would have mitigated against demolition.

Will have to try and look next time I'm going that way - although if it has gone it's hard to tell when you look for something you thought you knew was there (is it still there or did I blink and miss it?). The usual sort of thing, brick base and metal tanks on top - with much corrosion on the tanks and remains of some paintwork that I recall being a dark colour.

I guess eventually the metal and brick work becomes unstable through lack of maintenance and there becomes no alternative but to demolish it, however awkward a task that is for the civil engineers.

Pic here of the Troughs which says the tank ias in view but I can't actually see the tank in what is an interesting pic

Last edited:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The last troughs in use were Wiske Moor on the ECML, which the Deltics used until early 1970 when the modification to increase the boiler water tank capacity was finally completed on all of the class.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Will have to try and look next time I'm going that way - although if it has gone it's hard to tell when you look for something you thought you knew was there (is it still there or did I blink and miss it?). The usual sort of thing, brick base and metal tanks on top - with much corrosion on the tanks and remains of some paintwork that I recall being a dark colour.

I’m afraid it’s long gone. Has been for at least 10 years.

It was a bit of a bone of contention for me when learning the route.
“Where should I brake for Tamworth?”
“You know where the water tower used to be?”
“No.”

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
My grandfather won the contract from BR to remove the water troughs at Newbold and Hademore, and I think he did Tamworth too.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I’m afraid it’s long gone. Has been for at least 10 years.

It was a bit of a bone of contention for me when learning the route.
“Where should I brake for Tamworth?”
“You know where the water tower used to be?”
“No.”
Thanks! And good anecdote.

Shame it's gone - would have made a good house like the one that has been converted at Settle!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It may have been Malvern Wells Signal Box which had a local supply fed from a spring. As you can imagine it would have been very good water. (checked at fixed periods by the local Area "scientist")

Ploughman

Established Member
A detailed look at the facilities provided in the North East can be found in the booklet "Servicing the North Eastern Railways Locomotives"
Published by the NERA.
This looks at Water softening, Troughs, Pumping stations, Water Tanks,Columns, Turntables and coaling stages.

From personal experience I have met cast iron 6 - 8 inch water pipes buried in the 6ft of the current main line, betwen Hessle and St Georges LC.
That on examination and checking records, were found to be a supply pipe for Hull Dairycoates shed, Botanic shed and Paragon Stn that ran from a well near Hessle.

John Webb

Established Member
Pic here of the Troughs which says the tank ias in view but I can't actually see the tank in what is an interesting pic
Tank is visible above the centre of the train - it's a rectangle made up of small squares - most of these tanks were built up from standard parts bolted together to form the required shape and volume.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Tank is visible above the centre of the train - it's a rectangle made up of small squares - most of these tanks were built up from standard parts bolted together to form the required shape and volume.
Ah thanks! I thought that was a house by the line....optician visit may be required! Cheers.

WesternLancer

Established Member
There is a great description of the former water troughs at Prestayn on this page, about half way down if you scroll. Photos of the installation and usage as well as a description of the water supply etc.
Thanks - a very interesting link and some enjoyable pictures too.

lincolnshire

A detailed look at the facilities provided in the North East can be found in the booklet "Servicing the North Eastern Railways Locomotives"
Published by the NERA.
This looks at Water softening, Troughs, Pumping stations, Water Tanks,Columns, Turntables and coaling stages.

From personal experience I have met cast iron 6 - 8 inch water pipes buried in the 6ft of the current main line, betwen Hessle and St Georges LC.
That on examination and checking records, were found to be a supply pipe for Hull Dairycoates shed, Botanic shed and Paragon Stn that ran from a well near Hessle.
The pumping station behind Hessle Station was also a water softening plant too as Hull area in a hard water area due to the water been abstracted form the chalk layer below ground. Hessle pumping stations had 4 bore holes, two under the building and two more located up the yard. All 4 had submersible electric pumps which fed some of the old water softening storage tanks behind the pumphouse, these was replaced by one large tank in later years. The pump house used to pump the water to feed a large water tank high up on legs near to Dairycoates Depot, as said above the pipework ran down the line side to feed Botanic Gardens Depot, the washing plant and Paragon Station water columns. It also fed all of St Andrews fish dock when it was located there as well. The site is on the south side of the A63 road in / out of Hull behind Hessle station at the west end.

aar0

Some really interesting replies, thanks all. The report I was reading was just listing possible impacts onto a river catchment with little detail of what each one was.
But presumably some supply was still needed for isolated stations and some housing.
I imagined there might be some remote signal boxes where tea supplies/the loo might be provided but on an isolated "network".
there are still several water abstraction locations In use
Presumably dating to early railway use? I find (working in water quality) that often surprising abstractions (by location, or quantity allowed) simply predate any governance against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.