British Railways, bit harder this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Messages
313
1. Where does the Channel Tunnel Rail Link go underground on the British side?

2. This London station is the starting point for the majority of East Coast Main Line services

3. When GNER took over operation of East Coast Main Line, they found they had a shortage of motive power for loco-hauled trains, so Class 89001 was brought out of retirement and ran the ECML between London and ________.

4. In 2001, how many Virgin Cross Country diagrams were slated for Class 47 loco haulage?

5. EWS recently replaced its ageing fleet of Class 47's with this locomotive, the Class __?

6. This station is the most northernmost in the British Isles. What is its name?

7. What is unusual about the North Wales Main Line going through Comwy?

a) The North Wales Main Line does not go through Conway
b) The station is a terminus so trains continuing west must back out of the station to proceed
c) Parts of the medieval town walls were knocked down to allow railway access
d) The line follows a huge S shape, therefore effectively entering and leaving the town three times in a space of four miles

8. Easy question: This is the name of the chemical industry manager that created a report to the British Government in the 1960s for recommendations to turn British Rail into a profit making organization.

9. Since privatization, due to the need for faster trains, Class 86 locomotives can now be seen hauling regular 110 mile per hour expresses on the West Coast Main Line and the East Anglian Main Line. True or False?

10. OK, a REALLY hard question: What were the names of the two companies that were threatened by manslaughter charges after the Hatfield accident in 2000?

Good luck
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ikar

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2005
Messages
514
Location
Europe (Rijeka, Croatia)
warriorofrovac said:
1. Where does the Channel Tunnel Rail Link go underground on the British side?

2. This London station is the starting point for the majority of East Coast Main Line services

3. When GNER took over operation of East Coast Main Line, they found they had a shortage of motive power for loco-hauled trains, so Class 89001 was brought out of retirement and ran the ECML between London and ________.

4. In 2001, how many Virgin Cross Country diagrams were slated for Class 47 loco haulage?

5. EWS recently replaced its ageing fleet of Class 47's with this locomotive, the Class __?

6. This station is the most northernmost in the British Isles. What is its name?

7. What is unusual about the North Wales Main Line going through Comwy?

a) The North Wales Main Line does not go through Conway
b) The station is a terminus so trains continuing west must back out of the station to proceed
c) Parts of the medieval town walls were knocked down to allow railway access
d) The line follows a huge S shape, therefore effectively entering and leaving the town three times in a space of four miles

8. Easy question: This is the name of the chemical industry manager that created a report to the British Government in the 1960s for recommendations to turn British Rail into a profit making organization.

9. Since privatization, due to the need for faster trains, Class 86 locomotives can now be seen hauling regular 110 mile per hour expresses on the West Coast Main Line and the East Anglian Main Line. True or False?

10. OK, a REALLY hard question: What were the names of the two companies that were threatened by manslaughter charges after the Hatfield accident in 2000?

Good luck
1. near Folkestone
2. King's Cross
3. Leeds
4. ?
5. 67
6. Thurso
7. c?
8. ? (I ain't British so would not know)
9. False
10. Network Rail and Balfour Beatty
 
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Messages
313
ikar said:
1. near Folkestone True, but a more specific answer i'm looking for
2. King's Cross correct
3. Leeds Correct
4. ?
5. 67 correct
6. Thurso correct
7. c? correct
8. ? (I ain't British so would not know)
9. False correct
10. Network Rail and Balfour Beattycorrect
dvn1375 said:
8. Dr Beeching? Correct
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
10. Railtrack and GNER Fraid not, Ikar got it right, GNER only runs the trains, it wasnt their fault
Still looking for Number 4 Guys and Number 1
 
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Messages
313
both correct

Railtrack hired Balfour Betty to check rail wear in the Hatfield area. Technically therefore it was Balfour Betties fault and no entirely Railtrack.
 
T

Tom

Guest
PEDANT ALERT!!

warriorofrovac, your answer is incorrect, it was RAILTRACK and BALFOUR BEATTY, but as Railtrack was declared bankrupt after the event, Network Rail were given the charges, but at the time it was Railtrack and Balfour Beatty, so your answer is debatable.
 
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Messages
313
tubechallenger said:
PEDANT ALERT!!

warriorofrovac, your answer is incorrect, it was RAILTRACK and BALFOUR BEATTY, but as Railtrack was declared bankrupt after the event, Network Rail were given the charges, but at the time it was Railtrack and Balfour Beatty, so your answer is debatable.
Thats a contradiction, first its Incorrect and then debatable... ;)

"In 2003 six people and two companies – Network Rail (as successors of Railtrack) and the division of Balfour Beatty that maintained the track – were charged with manslaughter in connection with the accident (see corporate manslaughter). Charges against Network Rail/Railtrack and some of its executives were dropped in September 2004, but the other charges still stood. The trial began in January 2005; the judge, Mr Justice Mackay, warned that it could take as long as a year. On 14 July the judge instructed the jury to acquit all the defendants on the charges of manslaughter. A few days later Balfour Beatty changed its plea to guilty on the health and safety charges, and on 6 September Network Rail was found guilty of breaching health and safety law. All of the executives who had been charged were acquitted."

So technically, it was Network Rail and Balfour Beatty on the whole..
[EDIT]
theblackwatch said:
Another pedant alert!
On some services, the Class 89 ran beyond Leeds to Bradford Fozzy Bear!
I believe GNER runs like what...1 or 2 services to Bradford a day..so its really unequivical, most trains run to Leeds so..that would be the answer.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,400
warriorofrovac said:
I believe GNER runs like what...1 or 2 services to Bradford a day..so its really unequivical, most trains run to Leeds so..that would be the answer.
The 89 was actually diagrammed to work through to Bradford every evening (it had its own specific diagram) - from memory it used to do a KX-Leeds return and then a KX-Bradford.
 
T

Tom

Guest
PEDANT!!!!

3. When GNER took over operation of East Coast Main Line, they found they had a shortage of motive power for loco-hauled trains, so Class 89001 was brought out of retirement and ran the ECML between London and ________.

You asked what it usually ran to, you asked where it ran to, so technically that would be the furthest point.
 
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Messages
313
tubechallenger said:
PEDANT!!!!

3. When GNER took over operation of East Coast Main Line, they found they had a shortage of motive power for loco-hauled trains, so Class 89001 was brought out of retirement and ran the ECML between London and ________.

You asked what it usually ran to, you asked where it ran to, so technically that would be the furthest point.
And it usually runs to Leeds, the answer of Leeds is not incorrect but is not the best answer, so there really is no problem at all.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,400
warriorofrovac said:
And it usually runs to Leeds, the answer of Leeds is not incorrect but is not the best answer, so there really is no problem at all.
Being the person who first stirred up this one, I would say that either answer could probably be classed as being correct!
 

Nick W

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2005
Messages
1,438
Location
Cambridge
"In 2003 six people and two companies – Network Rail (as successors of Railtrack) and the division of Balfour Beatty that maintained the track – were charged with manslaughter in connection with the accident (see corporate manslaughter). Charges against Network Rail/Railtrack and some of its executives were dropped in September 2004, but the other charges still stood. The trial began in January 2005; the judge, Mr Justice Mackay, warned that it could take as long as a year. On 14 July the judge instructed the jury to acquit all the defendants on the charges of manslaughter. A few days later Balfour Beatty changed its plea to guilty on the health and safety charges, and on 6 September Network Rail was found guilty of breaching health and safety law. All of the executives who had been charged were acquitted."
That ****ed me off and probably ****ed off those who lost relatives and friends in it. NR had to pay money that would have otherwise been used to maintain the railway abck to the Government.

As a result we had the Liverpool Wirral line derailment....
Sigh if a train accident happens they shouldn't fine as it only makes the railway worse....
 

metrocammel

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2005
Messages
954
Location
Ashton, Lancashire
ikar said:
Depends on what the "Booked diagram" was, If it ocaisonaly worked to Bradford than it was substituting a 91 set.
No, it had a booked diagram to Bradford.... I'm also pretty sure I heard it deputising on services further north up the ECML (ie going to York on a couple of occasions - though if this did infact happen, it was very rare indeed)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top