• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BT's On The Road Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I must have read your previous report but not commented, something I've done a fair bit lately across the board. No-one is immune to that, and some people's reports are ignored full stop!

However, now the basher brain is becoming alive again, and the King of Budgeting has been reborn (tutting and waving his finger at the various expenditures in recent weeks!) things will be changing.

I wasn't popping on here tonight originally, but I seem to be on here more and more lately. Whether or not this is a good thing remains to be seen, but my return proper is still scheduled to be around the 25th of October. Nothing to do with a trip report to post...;):lol:

I'm not overly sure I'm familiar with the tune you reference, but to declare people who don't like it have no taste could be considered a bit cheeky. Still prefer what I play to the rubbish 'urban' music the chav girls were playing very loudy on my bus this morning! At 0710 in the morning it was far from welcome, so glad I had earphones!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I should perhaps reasure you that the no taist comment was not aimed at you Lord Quest.
Your reply had me laughing at 2 things. 1: ignoring some peoples reports all together :lol:
2: king of budgeting tutting away to himself. Nice immage and I had a feeling it would happen some time. It is good to have you back round these parts it must be said.

I note Kite has saved me the bother of posting a link to the tune in question, perhaps one for the commute tomorrow should the occupants of your bus be the same as today.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another song that I like with a similar title is Canned Heat - I'm on the road again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm afraid I haven't the patience to get on YouTube and look those up yet!

I'm not back as such yet, I've just popped on to actually reply to a PM (sorry Alex I completely forgot in a mass social media/event organisation farce!) and I'm not yet sure about the new forum style. Was one major shock on the eyes it must be said.

robbeech

Established Member
Certainly sounds like you had fun on the divert. I did a circular trip including a dragged set from Newcastle to Carlisle last Saturday (3oth September) and enjoyed it very much. I might even write a report if i get a minute to spare.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
07th October

No crazy early start this time (they will make a return later in the month and beyond) but I was up just before 6 as is my habit on a Saturday to listen to sounds of the sixties with Tony Blackburn on Radio 2 and this (along with a large mug of coffee) was the accompaniment to packing an overnight bag, emptying the washing machine, cleaning the bathroom etc etc and I finally left for the station at around 8:30
I collected a BK breakfast and took it on to the 9:42 VTECHST to London (via Carlisle) , the disadvantages of travelling with VTEC being outweighed by far by the advantages of not travelling on around Trans Pennine service and also getting another hundred miles of classic traction and an hour and a halfs phone charge under my belt.
Power socket fitted former East Midlands set on this diagram today quite busy

After an uneventful journey to the border city in rather dubious weather I purchased the golden (well ok Orange) Northern Rail newspaper token offer ticket and a cup of tea and made myself at home on the 1156 Northern service to Lancaster via the Cumbrian coast and Barrow-in-Furness. Subaru people on the forum said I was absolutely crazy undertaking this journey and if the traction had been a dubious seated Sprinter of some description I would agree with them but what you have to remember is that whilst a bit long in the tooth these days the Mark tunes were designed for journeys of this links and more even in cattle class

I think Northern Rail are in for a shock when the operation of these trains comes to an end and sprinters make a permanent return to Cambrian services as this particular service was busy throughout, firstly with rugby fans and local shoppers and later with teenagers and a hen party which having started moderately sized at Barrow grew through out the remaining journey to Lancaster
The fact that this train had multiple toilets compared to a 156 was certainly beneficial to the latter as they guzzled the sparkling wine in copious quantities during the trip. The fact that multiple people throughout the journey were had to comment on how good a train this was despite the bar windows and manually operated exterior doors does rather make a mockery of the assertion that normal punters want and like nasty things like turbo stars!
The railway of yesteryear nostalgia excursion came to an abrupt end on the departure from Lancaster at 16:17 with a 185 (interestingly also originating in Barrow less than 15 minutes after the 37) doing the fast dash Down to Preston arriving a couple of minutes late and we've not quite enough time to make the unofficial connection on to the 1641 to Blackpool South . ,

Blindtraveler

Established Member
No matter though as despite an hours fester Bus seat 142 action was to close this really rather relaxing day with a slightly delayed run to Blackpool South for a short taxi ride via a chippy for some fish and chips and a quiet Evening at my usual B and B.

really not liking the character limmits on the new forum, makes things more challenging for trip reporters! As someone who occasionally posts such things maybe @Yorky will understand?

alexf380

Established Member
Oh, the character limit is worrying but the heads up about that is much appreciated. Glad the traction held out for you on what was a rather lovely day by all accounts.
Looking forward to reading the next one.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Even on such a short trip report you've been caught out by the character limit, that's worrying. *Surely* the mods and admins should have taken it into account, given the hugely, hugely popular sector of the forum? I'm going to attempt to post what I have typed up so far on my phone in a bit, see what it lets me get posted. If it won't even let me do what I have, then I'll certainly rethink my return to the forum. The trip reports section (as well as the Aviation Discussion thread, not to mention the occasional visit to the International Rail section) is what I use the most on the forum, even during my recent weeks of having no UK rail enthusiasm. It's worth noting at this point that it is mostly down to Blindtraveller and Kite159 that my interest in the scene is being reborn, same for noddy1878 and the regular updates when he's been about. Like me, he's had enough of the forum too!

Lord BT of the Burgh (I'll settle on what title it should be eventually!) I am jealous of all that 37 haulage. Not so much the 185 and 142 after it mind!

Established Member
An interesting read.
I'm also interested in this character limit.
I'm sure I've bored plenty of people to tears with my long winded write-ups and hope they won't be affected :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looked like a great trip BT. Which 37 did you end up with?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Right its time for war on these character limmits. @Mojo, could this be added to your list for it to be raised to to limmitless in the trip reports section of the forum please? Otherwise this very popular section will wither and dye off very very very quickly.
@ainsworth74 in answer to the question you posed in the forum update thread on Thursday, no the current limmit on characters is NOT enough in this area of the forum. @Kite159 you were correct it would cause issues.

Many many of us post travelog's, bashing tales and nostalgic wibble about cranking from yester year in this part of the forum so please dont let us stop having our fun not just writing but reading and commenting too!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Right its time for war on these character limmits. @Mojo, could this be added to your list for it to be raised to to limmitless in the trip reports section of the forum please? Otherwise this very popular section will wither and dye off very very very quickly.
@ainsworth74 in answer to the question you posed in the forum update thread on Thursday, no the current limmit on characters is NOT enough in this area of the forum. @Kite159 you were correct it would cause issues.

Many many of us post travelog's, bashing tales and nostalgic wibble about cranking from yester year in this part of the forum so please dont let us stop having our fun not just writing but reading and commenting too!

I agree!!!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Also, may we please get rid of this “only one post per sixty seconds” rule? Forgive me but I don’t understand the point of it.

Established Member
Also, may we please get rid of this “only one post per sixty seconds” rule? Forgive me but I don’t understand the point of it.
To help prevent spam and/or unintentional double posting if the connection is interrupted I assume?

I would have raised the point of a character limit with Yorkie today had I been aware of it!

BT-if you're ever in Northernland or Merseyside and want to meet again-feel free to send me a PM. (Similarly if I'm in Scotland I'll tell you)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
@185143 I certainly will, we can go hunting all the pacers (all of them)
Sent you a wee friend request on FB also.

As an occasional poster of trip reports full of interesting history about disused lines now accessable to walkers, bikers and more adventurous enthusiasts perhaps @yorkie might be a further advocate for bottomless characters in this area of the forum?

Last edited:

Established Member
@185143 I certainly will, we can go hunting allll the pacers (all of them)
Sent you a wee friend request on FB also as an occasional poster of trip reports full of interesting history about disused lines now accessable to walkers, bikers and more adventurous enthusiasts perhaps @Yorky might be a further advocate for bottomless characters in this area of the forum?
I only need 10 Northern Pacers...

Will have to try and remember my FB password now-can't remember when I last used it tbh.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Congratulations Kite! Oh and BT, did you have any success with your battle with the character limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.