• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bury St Edmunds to London Liverpool St Ticket Validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugwash

Hi,

It is virtually the same journey time to get to Liverpool Street Via either Cambridge or Ipswich to Liverpool Street, both journeys are with Greater Anglia can I use my ticket for either routing.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
If your ticket says "Any Permitted" then you can go either way. There are also cheaper tickets routed "Via Cambridge" which are only valid via Cambridge.

If you are travelling via Cambridge you can also travel on Great Northern services to Kings Cross, you don't have to go to Liverpool Street.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If your ticket is routed Any Permitted, then yes you may travel via Ipswich or Cambridge (or Ely then Cambridge). There is a cheaper ticket routed Via Cambridge which is, unsurprisingly, valid only on the latter two routes - this can be excessed to travel via Ipswich at the difference between the fares (or half the difference, for one leg of a return).

You must follow the instructions given above, there were some quite serious issues with people attempting to regularly use via Cambridge tickets on the more expensive GEML route so the validity is quite strongly enforced.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is no penalty for purchasing a change of route excess on board.

Starmill

Veteran Member
You must follow the instructions given above, there were some quite serious issues with people attempting to regularly use via Cambridge tickets on the more expensive GEML route so the validity is quite strongly enforced.

I can't imagine there are any 'quite serious issues' as you say, because most of the trains between Ipswich and London will have an onboard ticket inspection carried out, no? It's a very easy process to charge the excess and this will correct the position.

And, looking at Off-Peak Return Fares the Any Permitted is a whole £2 more expensive than the Via Cambridge fare. Wow.

Last edited:
I can't imagine there are any 'quite serious issues' as you say, because most of the trains between Ipswich and London will have an onboard ticket inspection carried out, no? It's a very easy process to charge the excess and this will correct the position.

And, looking at Off-Peak Return Fares the Any Permitted is a whole £2 more expensive than the Via Cambridge fare. Wow.

Not a case of imagining it when you're talking to someone who deals with it. Not going to go through issues of ticket validity as you're more than well versed with that.

There were several issues of people boarding the stopper to LST with Via CBG tickets and being dealt with for it by RPIs etc.

When you also consider how busy guards are between BSE and SMK/IPS it's actually more than likely that said excess won't actually be available.

Getting back to the point of the topic just buy the Any Permitted, as you say, it's a whole £2.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not a case of imagining it when you're talking to someone who deals with it. Not going to go through issues of ticket validity as you're more than well versed with that.

There were several issues of people boarding the stopper to LST with Via CBG tickets and being dealt with for it by RPIs etc.

When you also consider how busy guards are between BSE and SMK/IPS it's actually more than likely that said excess won't actually be available.

Getting back to the point of the topic just buy the Any Permitted, as you say, it's a whole £2.

I trust those being dealt with by the RPI were sold a change of route excess which would be half the difference in fare for one leg. Anything else would be concerning.

I trust those being dealt with by the RPI were sold a change of route excess which would be half the difference in fare for one leg. Anything else would be concerning.

Couldn't answer that, was never present when said dealings took place.

Your posts suggest that you have first hand knowledge of this? Is that not the case?

Not of the conversations between passengers and revenue protection and the results of that no, advising and rectifying the issues as best I can on board my services yes.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not of the conversations between passengers and revenue protection and the results of that no, advising and rectifying the issues as best I can on board my services yes.

You said there were 'serious issues' and 'cases being dealt with by RPIs'. I hope the advice you gave included saying that a change of route excess was available if a passenger wished to travel via Ipswich with a 'Via Cambridge' ticket.

You said there were 'serious issues' and 'cases being dealt with by RPIs'. I hope the advice you gave included saying that a change of route excess was available if a passenger wished to travel via Ipswich with a 'Via Cambridge' ticket.

Today as I and my colleagues have done many a time I issued the excess and advised of the error yes.

The "issues" were more of an internal nature than in regard to treatment of passengers and would therefore be inappropriate to elaborate on publicly.

As I stated in my original comment (which I wouldn't have posted had I known it was going to be forensically examined....) the better option is the Any Permitted routing to avoid any undue concern.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you're unsure of the route you will take, you buy the cheaper fare and excess the relevant portion(s), to avoid overpaying.

If you're unsure of the route you will take, you buy the cheaper fare and excess the relevant portion(s), to avoid overpaying.

Yes you or I would, but I would honestly (personally) suggest that given the small difference £2 is worth it for the ease/peace of mind of someone perhaps less versed in the complexities of ticketing.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Yes you or I would, but I would honestly (personally) suggest that given the small difference £2 is worth it for the ease/peace of mind of someone perhaps less versed in the complexities of ticketing.

The passenger doesn't need to be versed in the complexities though. The procedure for excessing is simple, routine and easy.

The passenger doesn't need to be versed in the complexities though. The procedure for excessing is simple, routine and easy.

95% of people will have no idea the concept exists. You must remember those of us on this forum have either been trained in ticketing or take a personal interest. Joe public doesn't have a clue because most of the time they don't need to.

Any time spent on the front line of this country's railways will teach you that. While I again agree with the principle of your comment the day to day application is often different.

Starmill

Veteran Member
95% of people will have no idea the concept exists. You must remember those of us on this forum have either been trained in ticketing or take a personal interest. Joe public doesn't have a clue because most of the time they don't need to.

Any time spent on the front line of this country's railways will teach you that. While I again agree with the principle of your comment the day to day application is often different.

I agree entirely. None of this was ever in dispute. Staff all know how to do the excess and anyone properly trained would get something so basic right. You are correct people will never have heard of it. And they don't need to have. I just don't see how it can be a 'serious problem' given the solution is so easy.

I agree entirely. None of this was ever in dispute. Staff all know how to do the excess and anyone properly trained would get something so basic right. You are correct people will never have heard of it. And they don't need to have. I just don't see how it can be a 'serious problem' given the solution is so easy.

It was a turn of phrase, nothing to be taken too....seriously...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.