• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus driver dies after incident at Elgin bus station

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG

Established Member
Very sad news coming through from Elgin, thoughts to all affected...
Teenage boy arrested over death of Stagecoach bus driver
Stagecoach says it is “shocked and saddened” after one of the company’s drivers died following an assault at a bus station in Moray.

Emergency services were called to Elgin Bus Station on Saturday morning and a 58-year-old man was taken to Dr Gray’s Hospital, where he later died.

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the incident.

A spokesperson for Stagecoach North Scotland said: “We are shocked and saddened by this news and our immediate thoughts are with the family and friends of our driver who has sadly passed away.

“Safety is our number one priority and incidents like this are extremely rare. We are doing everything we can to support our colleagues and our driver’s family as well as assisting the police in their investigation.”

Elgin Bus Station was taped off by police on Saturday and services were disrupted.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 10.40pm on Friday, 2 February, 2024, police were called to the St Giles Road area of Elgin following a report of the assault of a 58-year-old man.

“Emergency services attended, and the man was taken to Dr Grays Hospital in Elgin where he later died.

“A 15-year-old male youth has been arrested in connection with the incident and enquiries are continuing.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Very sad news coming through from Elgin, thoughts to all affected...
Teenage boy arrested over death of Stagecoach bus driver
I was just reading about this when you posted. It's very sad news indeed.

The bus station remains closed, according to Bluebird's Twitter feed.

#bbserviceupdate
Due to an ongoing incident, Elgin bus station will remain closed until further notice. Elgin services may be subject to short notice cancellation and disruption during this time.

DunsBus

Established Member
I was just reading about this when you posted. It's very sad news indeed.

The bus station remains closed, according to Bluebird's Twitter feed.

I'm both sad, and sickened, to hear this. We live in a very sad society these days - what on earth is it the world coming to when a bus driver is assaulted by a teenager and which ends up with the driver losing his life.
No bus driver should ever go to work and not return home.

Caleb2010

My sentiments exactly, retired now, but after 40 years of being in passenger transport, I’m glad I don’t need to drive buses now!

I really feel for both the family of the poor driver, and for his colleagues who all have to carry on with this in their minds and the fear it inevitably causes.

Bowie

Been following this all day, absolutely sad to hear this and condolences to the drivers family and friends at this difficult time. Like the other lad said, what kinda world are we in where people get attacked simply for doing their job? Absolute scumbag that teenager is.

This is why teenagers are wildy hated

The sad part is almost nothing will happen, even if he was jailed he’d only get 1-3 years at absolute most since our justice system is such a joke.

Karma will get that scumbag.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This is rather over the top. We're talking about a single individual here and in no way are they representing the behaviour of all teenagers.

What happened last night was awful, but please do not tar everyone with the same brush.

Bowie

This is rather over the top. We're talking about a single individual here and in no way are they representing the behaviour of all teenagers.

What happened last night was awful, but please do not tar everyone with the same brush.
Sorry, got a bit heated. Fair point

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm both sad, and sickened, to hear this. We live in a very sad society these days - what on earth is it the world coming to when a bus driver is assaulted by a teenager and which ends up with the driver losing his life.
No bus driver should ever go to work and not return home.
My sentiments exactly, retired now, but after 40 years of being in passenger transport, I’m glad I don’t need to drive buses now!

I really feel for both the family of the poor driver, and for his colleagues who all have to carry on with this in their minds and the fear it inevitably causes.
Is there actually any evidence that there are more assaults now than there were in (say) the 1980s?

This is a very sad incident and sadly I have to agree with others that the justice system is a joke, when it comes to dealing with violence, however it's a myth that things are a lot worse than they used to be.
I can pretty much guarantee that this 15 year old will have assaulted many teenagers before now; teenagers themselves are often victims of such odious individuals. The idea that teenagers generally are like this is based on reading a small number of very high profile news reports, which gives a very disproportionate impression of young people.

I've previously argued that the justice system isn't fit for purpose (and incidentally schools lack sufficient powers) but unfortunately the powers that be don't listen to people like us.

From other threads:
....Sadly the legal system does not have provision to bring people like him to justice..
.... yes our legal and justice system is inadequate and will ensure that, if caught, justice is not served.

A relatively small proportion of individuals are allowed to act in a feral manner and cause danger and distress to good people. I see people like this on a frequent basis and i know they think of themselves as virtually untouchable by the law....
...Our current legal system absolutely is a disgrace, and is very much on the side of people whose lives are spent making others lives a misery. It is not on the side of hardworking people.
I made a thread a long time ago regarding a teenager who attempted to murder another teenager who I actually knew at the time:

Gloster

Established Member
In the last couple of days a 16-year old was arrested in Newport (Wight) after hitting a bus driver with a bottle the bus station. It seems that the little scrote was banned from Southern Vectis but was trying to board a bus.

A 16 year old boy from Ventnor has been arrested, following an alleged attack on a Southern Vectis bus driver.

Yesterday, Southern Vectis said it would not tolerate abuse of its staff and said they would help the police with their enquiries.

They said the driver, on the number 5 bus, was hit by a bottle...

Last edited by a moderator:
My father was 4' 11" started his bus days as a conductor before becoming a driver, no one ever got away with anything if he was on the bus. He feared nothing and couldn't half swing that ticket machine! Mind this was 70s and being walloped when you did something wrong was more the norm, now I suppose he would be done for assault and the teenager would be wrapped up and looked after.

Caleb2010

Is there actually any evidence that there are more assaults now than there were in (say) the 1980s
I wouldn’t know if there is any evidence, however you only have to open your eyes, look at a newspaper, read a forum etc to see that times have changed.

Why do you think new buses are automatically fitted with assault screens? If there hadn’t been a rise in assaults since the 80’s they wouldn’t be needed would they.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn’t know if there is any evidence...
If you are making the claim, the onus is on you to provide it :)
however you only have to open your eyes, look at a newspaper, read a forum etc to see that times have changed.
Did newspapers of decades ago not report violent incidents?
Why do you think new buses are automatically fitted with assault screens? If there hadn’t been a rise in assaults since the 80’s they wouldn’t be needed would they.
Back in the 1980s people said exactly what you are saying now about rises in cases:
The rising incidence of assaults on bus crews cannot be separated from the increasing lawlessness of the times in which we live.
It's difficult to draw comparisons, but I found this from Dublin:
In 1993, eighty drivers were robbed and a further eighty four were assaulted.
And 30 years later:
New figures reveal Dublin Bus drivers have been assaulted 429 times over the last five years, Dublin Live can reveal.
When you divide 429 by 5, you get to pretty much the same number.

It's common in many parts of the world for people to think crime rates are going up, when they're actually not:
Almost 80 percent of Americans, and 92 percent of Republicans, think crime has gone up. It actually fell in 2023. An expert blames a familiar culprit for the mistaken impression.
“I think we’ve been conditioned, and we have no way of countering the idea” that crime is rising,” Asher said. “It’s just an overwhelming number of news media stories and viral videos — I have to believe that social media is playing a role.”
Nearly two-thirds of people believe that crime in England and Wales is on the rise despite levels falling to their lowest for 30 years in 2010, according to official statistics.
....The recording of crime remains at one of the lowest levels seen since 1974.
I still think we are far too soft on violent acts, however the idea that things are much worse than they used to be is a myth.

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
Is there actually any evidence that there are more assaults now than there were in (say) the 1980s?
I haven't gone searching for evidence so can't answer directly. However even if the number of assaults hasn't changed, I think that the outcomes have - more likelihood of being stabbed as some members of society are carrying dangerous weapons (blades/knives) routinely. Years ago it would usually be punches that were thrown.

My father was 4' 11" started his bus days as a conductor before becoming a driver, no one ever got away with anything if he was on the bus. He feared nothing and couldn't half swing that ticket machine!
Within a year of passing my PSV test I was assaulted, fortunately only minor injuries, and I remember older drivers advice was along the same lines as your father: a hefty wallop of the ticket machine being recommended!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I haven't gone searching for evidence so can't answer directly. However even if the number of assaults hasn't changed, I think that the outcomes have - more likelihood of being stabbed as some members of society are carrying dangerous weapons (blades/knives) routinely. Years ago it would usually be punches that were thrown.
But why do you think that?

There are some interesting articles on the subject, such as:

Research demonstrates that the media often focus disproportionately on more ‘spectacular’ and ‘topical’ areas, leading to a perception that certain crimes are more of a problem than they are in reality
Could that factor be affecting your thoughts, perhaps?

Caleb2010

I merely base my opinion on what I have experienced, the media may have a bearing on how some people think, my self - it’s based on being assaulted, having things thrown at me in the cab, being urinated over from the upper deck (via the periscope), punched and threatened by passengers and had people waiting for me at the depot!

Now, these incidents have happened over the 40 years I’ve been on the buses, have largely happened in the evenings and the average age of people committing these assaults has, over this 40 year period, come down in number!

This is not speculation, it’s not gleaned from the media but, what has happened to me.

Cymroglan

Does anyone know whether any sort of collection has been organised for the family of the victim? It would be nice if some of us - especially those who are managing to argue about this tragedy- could offer some financial support to those who are grieving right now.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I merely base my opinion on what I have experienced, the media may have a bearing on how some people think, my self - it’s based on being assaulted, having things thrown at me in the cab, being urinated over from the upper deck (via the periscope), punched and threatened by passengers and had people waiting for me at the depot!

Now, these incidents have happened over the 40 years I’ve been on the buses, have largely happened in the evenings and the average age of people committing these assaults has, over this 40 year period, come down in number!

This is not speculation, it’s not gleaned from the media but, what has happened to me.
This is really sad to hear that these things have happened to you.

This is anecdotal evidence and isn't necessarily representative of experiences elsewhere; would you say the incidents have increased a lot in the past 40 years? (i'd imagine the periscope incidents are highly unlikely to be recent).

Having visited your neck of the woods* I am quite shocked that one driver would experience so much (*maybe you used to work elsewhere? either way it's still shocking and I am sorry to hear of this).

As I've consistently said, we are far too soft on the perpetrators of violence. The legal system has inadequacies and it needs to change. There also need to be other changes (which the resource I linked to above alludes to) to society to reduce youth disengagement and address some of the root causes.

But the evidence doesn't support the claims that crime is getting worse; it's a perception we have, based on what we read through the news, social media etc.

- especially those who are managing to argue about this tragedy-
I don't think anyone is arguing about this tragedy; I think we're all agreed it is very sad, and and I think that many would agree that there is not enough done to avoid such incidents occurring, and not enough done to deal with the perpetrators when such shocking incidents occur.

If anyone becomes aware of a collection being arranged, please do post it here and I will contribute, as I am sure would many others.

I do really hope that as a society we can do much more to reduce, and ideally prevent, such incidents occurring in future, as at present we are not doing anywhere near enough, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bowie

Does anyone know whether any sort of collection has been organised for the family of the victim? It would be nice if some of us - especially those who are managing to argue about this tragedy- could offer some financial support to those who are grieving right now.
Not heard anything but if anything does get posted please can you let us know as the other lad has also said, I’d contribute

JD2168

My thoughts are with the family of the driver & the colleagues of the driver in an incident that should have never occurred.

gomango

My thoughts like everyone else is with the drivers family and the Stagecoach Bluebird collegues effected by this incident.

Russel

I wouldn’t know if there is any evidence, however you only have to open your eyes, look at a newspaper, read a forum etc to see that times have changed.

Difference between then and now being that we have 24/7 rolling news online and of course social media, it's easy to assume crime rates have shot up when the news surrounds you.

Back in the 80's, how long would it have taken me to learn of something like this happening in Elgin, when I live in Staffordshire, if I found out at all?

anthony263

Established Member
I've been sent home today from work as I was too badly shaken to continue driving this morning after I was threatened with being stabbed by a passenger at talbot Green bus station.

Its shocking the way the worlds going and its made me worry was sort of world my 4 year old daughter is growing up in

This driver was just trying to do his job and now his family have to grieve and suffer. Made me more paranoid now I dont ever want my wide and daughter to receive that phone call or knock at the door.

Bowie

I've been sent home today from work as I was too badly shaken to continue driving this morning after I was threatened with being stabbed by a passenger at talbot Green bus station.

Its shocking the way the worlds going and its made me worry was sort of world my 4 year old daughter is growing up in

This driver was just trying to do his job and now his family have to grieve and suffer. Made me more paranoid now I dont ever want my wide and daughter to receive that phone call or knock at the door.
Really sorry to hear this. Hope you’re good now though

johncrossley

Established Member
The murder rate in Scotland (and England & Wales) isn't especially high by international standards and the murder rate in Scotland has been falling in recent years

Scotland’s murder rate has fallen to the lowest level since modern records began almost fifty years ago.

Figures presented by Police Scotland to the Scottish Police Authority show there were 48 homicides in 2022-23.

That compares to a high of 137 back in 2004-05.

The relatively low incidence of murder is why it is such big news when it happens. However, the BBC and other major news agencies are very biased in what they report. I wouldn't have known about this murder without reading this thread. The front page of the BBC news site has been dominated for days by a murder which happened some time ago. It is only newsworthy because it was of a pretty girl. This murder in Elgin should be more newsworthy, because it happened very recently, but it was of a middle aged man. Murders of black teenage boys in London happen on a regular basis and barely get a mention on regional news.

anthony263

Established Member
Really sorry to hear this. Hope you’re good now though
Was shaken up quite a bit that I got sent home. Then yesterday I saw the news about this poor driver has really driven it home what could have happened to myself yesterday.

I've come back to work today as I needed too otherwise I'm going to struggle to get back behind the wheel

Silenos

The murder rate in Scotland (and England & Wales) isn't especially high by international standards and the murder rate in Scotland has been falling in recent years

The relatively low incidence of murder is why it is such big news when it happens.
The absolute number of homicides in the U.K. has roughly doubled between the late Victorian era and the start of the 21st century, according to government data (328 in 1898 up to 891 in 2001). However, the population roughly doubled over the same period, from about 31 million to about 60 million, suggesting that the homicide rate is fairly constant, despite the fact that access to guns and poisons was much easier in the earlier part of that period (probably why we see so many stabbing reports, as bladed weapons are the easiest to access now).

Sources: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7ac815ed915d71db8b26f4/rec-crime-1898-2002.xls

Of course, each statistical point is still a life lost and a world of grief, so for those actually touched by it, the fact that the murder rate isn’t any higher than it was is no consolation whatever.

Last edited:
Was shaken up quite a bit that I got sent home. Then yesterday I saw the news about this poor driver has really driven it home what could have happened to myself yesterday.

I've come back to work today as I needed too otherwise I'm going to struggle to get back behind the wheel
I can relate to your situation as I too have had this , had someone stick a big knife in the assault screen it got stuck and I drove straight to the police station ( eraticily I must add ) which was just around the corner outside the bus stn I was at . Had the alarm going all the time as he was trying to kick my cab door in . Police gave chase . I had to keep working .No cctv in those days but he pled guilty. Have had a couple more incidents . Most recent was last year when I got threatened , by a female , with finding out where I lived and burning my house down a with my family in it ., that was because the bus stop was closed and had to go on to the next one which was less than 100 yards away . You could tell a lot more stories than the stats show too as some maybe don’t get reported

Richardr

The absolute number of homicides in the U.K. has roughly doubled between the late Victorian era and the start of the 21st century, according to government data (328 in 1898 up to 891 in 2001). However, the population roughly doubled over the same period, from about 31 million to about 60 million, suggesting that the homicide rate is fairly constant, despite the fact that access to guns and poisons was much easier in the earlier part of that period (probably why we see so many stabbing reports, as bladed weapons are the easiest to access now).

Sources: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7ac815ed915d71db8b26f4/rec-crime-1898-2002.xls

Of course, each statistical point is still a life lost and a world of grief, so for those actually touched by it, the fact that the murder rate isn’t any higher than it was is no consolation whatever.
and those in Scotland have halved in the past 20 years since your (England and Wales) data ends - there were 52 last year, of which over half were known to their victim.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/homicide-scotland-2022-23/pages/12/

The accused and victim were not known to each other in eight homicides (15%). The relationship to the main accused was unknown in the remaining 5 homicides (5%).
This is a dreadful incident, and everyone affected from the family to everyone else has my full sympathy. Every single homicide is one too many, and affects all of us. However, the rate is thankfully low.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As there have been a number of posts that aren't directly related to the main story and due to the sensitive nature of the situation, we've decided to pause the thread here. There is, of course, an ongoing police investigation.

When any further developments occur we'll update the thread in due course.

Update:

BBC news now reports that the driver has been named and that a suspect has been charged and will appear in court tomorrow.

A bus driver who died after an alleged assault in Elgin on Saturday has been named by police.

Keith Rollinson, 58, died at Dr Grays Hospital in Elgin following the incident at a bus station in the St Giles Road area at about 22:40 on Friday.

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

He is due to appear at Elgin Sheriff Court on Monday.

Det Insp Gavin Fleming, of Aberdeen CID, said: "Our thoughts are very much with Keith's family and we are providing them with support at what is a very difficult time for them. They have asked for their privacy to be respected."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.