• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Enthusiast Etiquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie

Established Member
Yep. As a football fan, as well as transport enthusiast, I feel there’s more crossover than initially meets the eye. A lot of people like the numerous, fascinating statistics that you can get from any football game.
The biggest similarity though is probably “groundhoppers” who spend their weekends visiting new grounds. Many of these fans will have lists of all the grounds they’ve visited, and often make special visits to grounds for one-off games. (One example being a Highland League game earlier this season which was played at a nearby rugby ground - that brought a good few hundred “hoppers”). Much like transport enthusiasts though, there’s a big variety as some are very particular about what they like and must have certain proof of being at a ground, whilst others just watch the game and go home.

Agreed. I don’t even drive and they give me enough of a shock when I pass one - I can’t think what it’s like for a driver.
As a member of CAMRA you see similar weird behaviour with "beer tickers" who go miles to buy a half of some obscure beer that they often then pour into a bottle to share with their cronies... Some of the scruffy, unkempt, unwashed etc comments definitely apply too...

GTL in Liverpool did have a habit of putting names on their buses, here's a prime example with the name above the registration plates

Ensignbus in Essex name all of their operational bus fleet.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Don’t know if that’s quite fair; many people ascribe that sort of pronoun to inanimate objects. Also, I’ve known many women (sadly, not as impressive boast as I’d like) who give names to THEIR cars.

I get that you can have a fondness for a particular vehicle; that bus that took you to school, or something else distinctive. It’s where people anthropomorphise buses so that they have some sort of identity or even emotions that I find a bit much.
Re the last para, kid's series like Thomas the Tank Engine and similar probably don't help. Some folk on the autism spectrum may take attitudes early and retain them for life.

RustySpoons

I never said you did :)

Going back to an earlier post though about drivers not liking their photos taken, I get this. But goto FlickR and look at all the better offside 3/4 photos and you can never see the driver. I was going to post examples but that seems a bit daft when anyone can just take a look.

I find that you never really notice the driver on pictures regardless of how they're taken, unless they're actively trying to not be seen either by holding the running board in front of their face or holding a hand up or lowering the blind...

Then again I don't understand why someone who is seen by hundreds of people every day as part of their job is against being seen from outside the bus...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I find that you never really notice the driver on pictures regardless of how they're taken, unless they're actively trying to not be seen either by holding the running board in front of their face or holding a hand up or lowering the blind...

Then again I don't understand why someone who is seen by hundreds of people every day as part of their job is against being seen from outside the bus...

In many cases they are also on their own bus cctv, plus the other cctv cameras in most towns.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
This thread just reminded me of this incident from a few years ago that made local news.

Out of context the picture obviously looks quite bad, but having worked there and having probably done a few thousand trips on the 17/18 I can attest those routes can sometimes be an incredibly intense, stressful and miserable experience and if I hadn't have come off the roster I'd probably have given up bus driving altogether.

In this case the driver was running quite late and the enthusiast in question abused the traffic light pedestrian crossing to stop the bus - step out into the road to take the 'perfect' picture with no intention of crossing (hence the reaction) and then back onto the pavement without crossing the road. Although I absolutely do not condone the drivers actions (and would never react that way myself) I can absolutely empathise with what led him to react that way.

Rather than approaching the company to complain and await a satisfactory response the enthusiast simultaneously decided to subject the driver to trial by media. He submitted it to all the local rags, some of which made it to the front page and if I recall correctly it even made it into the local metro and BBC online.

Obviously the picture was presented without information as to why the enthusiast provoked this reaction from the driver and it would have been dealt with appropriately internally. Due to the publicity he was suspended from work for a lengthy time but ultimately kept this job - had the enthusiast kept it to the proper channels rather than seeking to nationally humiliate him for a moment of madness his punishment probably would have been much less harsh.

Though he did acquire the nickname of "[his name] the finger' in work :lol:

JS66827239.jpg

pdeaves

Established Member
This thread just reminded me of this incident from a few years ago that made local news.

Out of context the picture obviously looks quite bad, but having worked there and having probably done a few thousand trips on the 17/18 I can attest those routes can sometimes be an incredibly intense, stressful and miserable experience and if I hadn't have come off the roster I'd probably have given up bus driving altogether.

In this case the driver was running quite late and the enthusiast in question abused the traffic light pedestrian crossing to stop the bus - step out into the road to take the 'perfect' picture with no intention of crossing (hence the reaction) and then back onto the pavement without crossing the road. Although I absolutely do not condone the drivers actions (and would never react that way myself) I can absolutely empathise with what led him to react that way.

Rather than approaching the company to complain and await a satisfactory response the enthusiast simultaneously decided to subject the driver to trial by media. He submitted it to all the local rags, some of which made it to the front page and if I recall correctly it even made it into the local metro and BBC online.

Obviously the picture was presented without information as to why the enthusiast provoked this reaction from the driver and it would have been dealt with appropriately internally. Due to the publicity he was suspended from work for a lengthy time but ultimately kept this job - had the enthusiast kept it to the proper channels rather than seeking to nationally humiliate him for a moment of madness his punishment probably would have been much less harsh.

View attachment 82203
All that unnecessary hassle and fuss and the picture isn't any good anyway (too head-on, in my view).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

View attachment 82203

You can't help but sympathise with the driver. Sadly, some enthusiasts are plonkers when it comes to obtaining "that shot"

Pat1105

View attachment 82203
This is another reason why our hobby carries a bad name. I think some enthusiasts perhaps don’t understand how stressful bus driving can be at times. Anyway, the bus CCTV would have backed the driver up.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

View attachment 82203

Thanks for the back story, it is a shame that the media only told it from the spotters perspective as there was clearly more to it than meets the eye. That said even though in this instance the spotter was clearly being a tw*t, the driver is still in the wrong, he shouldn't have reacted at all. All this situation has done is given spotters and drivers an equally bad rep.

I'll mention this as it relates to the thread however i was speaking to a driver i know a while back who used to do Megabus work and drove down in Yorkshire at one point and he was saying from his experience (speaking to other drivers at different depots) the further north you go the more friendly drivers are to enthusiasts, while the further south you go the more hostile they are. So maybe there's also a regional factor at play. Particularly when you get to more rural/tourism areas.

traction22

With a stationary bus it's fairly easy to use the window pillar to hide the driver, even if you dont the angle of lighting and reflections will often achieve the same thing (however the driver isn't going to be aware of this as often they'd just see somebody in bright sunshine with a camera).

Likewise though, quite a lot of drivers give you a little friendly wave or a nod which you don't see until you have the photos downloadeded. This must make some photographers appear quite rude.

duncombec

Surely the etiquette of being a bus enthusiast is the same as the etiquette anywhere else. Be polite, stick to the rules, and appreciate others may not appreciate or understand what you are doing.

Between drivers and enthusiasts, the majority of issues appear to be down to the "incorrigibles" on both sides, be it drivers with a pathological dislike for enthusiasts (or indeed passengers), or enthusiasts who think they have the right to behave how they like in the name of their hobby.

Between enthusiasts (including driver-enthusiasts), be aware that not everyone shares precisely the same elements of interest as you. You're not a 'bad enthusiast' because you do or don't take pictures, look at chassis numbers or count the spots on the interior upholstery. Nor should you be sneered at because front-entrance vehicles weren't a thing in your day, that bus is too new to be preserved, or because they aren't 'in the industry'. I've lost count of the number of enthusiasts who bemoan the lack of youngsters in the hobby, then treat any they do find like something they've wiped off their shoe.

If you want to wait to get the perfect shot of the bus at a rally or running day, fine. But please don't start shouting at other visitors to get out of your way or consider non-enthusiasts interlopers. If the only thing you can find to criticise about a preservation project is the shade of paint on the wheels, tut to yourself but don't go telling the owner they are wrong. Most ultimately of all, do not interfere with operations... including using pedestrian crossings to stop vehicles.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Surely the etiquette of being a bus enthusiast is the same as the etiquette anywhere else. Be polite, stick to the rules, and appreciate others may not appreciate or understand what you are doing.

Between drivers and enthusiasts, the majority of issues appear to be down to the "incorrigibles" on both sides, be it drivers with a pathological dislike for enthusiasts (or indeed passengers), or enthusiasts who think they have the right to behave how they like in the name of their hobby.

Between enthusiasts (including driver-enthusiasts), be aware that not everyone shares precisely the same elements of interest as you. You're not a 'bad enthusiast' because you do or don't take pictures, look at chassis numbers or count the spots on the interior upholstery. Nor should you be sneered at because front-entrance vehicles weren't a thing in your day, that bus is too new to be preserved, or because they aren't 'in the industry'.

Agree. It should also be noted that the vast majority of drivers and enthusiasts are fine. It's just a minority on either side that let them down. Even then certainly on the drivers side i suspect some of it comes from a lack of understanding, however there is also some ignorance there too. Just go on any bus site and you'll now and again see drivers join and then complain about enthusiasts often making some rather nasty uncalled for derogatory comments. Strangely enough i've found driver-enthusiasts to be more difficult (and ignorant) than non-enthusiast drivers. I think the majority of drivers are aware of enthusiasts and while they may not understand it they do at least respect that it's harmless and the enthusiast is there for the vehicle not them.

I've lost count of the number of enthusiasts who bemoan the lack of youngsters in the hobby, then treat any they do find like something they've wiped off their shoe.

Agree, this is a big issue these days. People moan about the lack of younger enthusiasts and then belittle them because they like newer buses. And yet those same people wonder why younger enthusiasts are more hesitant to join local bus groups. I actually disagree about the lack of youngsters in the hobby, I'd be regarded as a "younger enthusiast" and i can tell you for a fact there's loads of us. It's just many aren't as active in preservation groups etc as the "older" enthusiasts are, so that may be why it gives off the impression there's less.

It's unfortunate but if preservation groups want to survive they do need to appeal to the younger generation and new vehicles, looking back there was quite a lot of ignorance towards early low floor buses being in preservation 5+ years ago as such many types from the 90s weren't saved and no longer exist, this puts off younger enthusiasts because what's the point in joining a group that don't care about the vehicles you grew up with and only preserves buses with Gardner engines. Thankfully in the last few years the tables have turned and a good number of second generation low floors are already saved, although the ignorance towards them still exists.

It's strange how the floor height of a vehicle can have such huge impact!

CN04NRJ

Established Member
This is another reason why our hobby carries a bad name. I think some enthusiasts perhaps don’t understand how stressful bus driving can be at times. Anyway, the bus CCTV would have backed the driver up.

It did, but the media firestorm meant that the company had to be 'seen' to deal with it in a certain way when otherwise he would probably have gotten a verbal/written warning depending on disciplinary history. Obviously giving someone the finger isn't exactly a good image for the company at any time but when it gets large media/social media attention it turns a molehill into a mountain.

That said even though in this instance the spotter was clearly being a tw*t, the driver is still in the wrong, he shouldn't have reacted at all. All this situation has done is given spotters and drivers an equally bad rep.

Agreed, there was blame was on both sides and it was certainly a reminder that a momentary lapse in professionalism can have profound consequences. On a personal note I was surprised as it was very out of character for him, must have been having a really bad day.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
That's because everything with low floors is modern rubbish! <D
#oldfart

I can't believe people get excited over Voith E200s, dreadful things but if that's what they like then that's what they like! :lol:

cnjb8

Established Member
I don't know if any of you recognise the name Rob McCaffery, he ran the Transport Illustrated blog, which I only just came across.
This was their last post ever, from 2016, saying that they were no longer blogging or sharing photos or bus spotting out and about because of an event in 2008. I thought it necessary to share here.
There comes a point when you say to yourself 'enough is enough'.

I've had to put up with some awful stuff since daring to launch this blog but this has finally broken me.

Eight years ago I foolishly gave an interview to my local paper on the subject of harassment of photographers. It was a responsible, intelligent piece and the reporter wrote a fair, balanced piece.

Unfortunately the web version of the story carried the headline "Bus Spotter Quits Over Paedophile Jibes" and twisted the story completely. It was picked up by the gutter press and the lie was distributed worldwide. I'm not kidding! The day after I first heard what was going on when of all people the local BBC Breakfast Show presenter was gloating over the story. During the day I received ridiculous offers to 'tell my side of the story' from an unidentified woman's magazine, followed by Talksport and Richard and Judy. I declined all, knowing full well what they were after.

Eventually Radio 4 contacted me. I told them about the insane media circus and went on their programme to explain.

The story's still there on the web of course.

Someone's now decided it would be fun to include the story and my photo on a Facebook Group, described as 'just for fun'.

My wife has come home today distraught at the prospect of losing her job. As a break from comforting her I went online only to face this:

https://www.facebook.com/Bus-spotters-spotted-spotting-679372482140919/?fref=ts

The group features photos of bus enthusiasts taking photos with ignorant, stupid comments. The group[ photo is of me, from that 2008 story.

There are elements of our society that can only mock and destroy "just for fun".

What IS the point of having and sharing an interest? This time the camera is being retired, as is TI. I really have had enough. Conform or die is the new world motto and those who stray are just there to be destroyed.

Thanks for the 100 or so who read these reports and those who have taken the time to comment. Right now I've got a couple of lives to rebuild.

It would have been Mum's birthday on Thursday. We were just about coping. Anyway, they've had their 'fun', damn them. It's always fun unless you're the target.....

(UPDATE 15.03.16 - I reported that page to Facebook, together with a more recent group entitled "Bus Spotters Spotted" which clearly states that it is a group for bus drivers to get revenge on 'bus spotters'. Words fail you to describe how stupid people are if they think that when a bus is photographed it is the driver that is the target. Just how vain and ignorant are these people? Facebook's response was that there has been no contravention of their policies.

So, it's perfectly okay for Facebook users to harass, victimise and ridicule others? So long as we know.

No wonder kids end up taking their lives.

I am leaving TI online for a while so that this final entry can reach as many as possible. Long term readers will know I've had to suspend it before but this time I am determined that the end of the road has been reached. This by the way is post 299. Far too many.... I will be deleting all reports in time.

We sadly live in an increasingly intolerant, arrogant, greedy and selfish world which increasingly resents anything that does not conform to an arbitrarily-set 'norm'. After the appalling behaviour by some transport staff, a significant proportion of the public, the press and even the police what has finally defeated me is the appalling behaviour of too many people involved in the hobby itself. Those who behave irresponsibly thus earning the rest of us a bad name, those who trawl the internet looking for photos to copy and present in social media as their own, or the latest nasty twist - preserved bus owners resenting photographers on the basis that they don't make money from them. You go to rallies and you see them deliberately standing in front of their vehicles to spoil photos then bitching.

This is supposed to be about fun. People create the hobby. People ruin it. Too many only know how to destroy. It salves their own inadequacies. Eventually there's too many spoiling it. I made the appalling error of trusting the press back in 2008 and it still haunts me.

I may still take some photos at rallies but they will now be strictly for the benefit of myself and my close friends. I am sorry it's come to this - each report used to get about 100 views so I know that there was a small but loyal group following. Thank you. It's a mess and quite frankly after 40-odd years I really have had enough.)

Posted 14th March 2016 by Rob McCaffery
Thoughts?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Train spotters don't get to sneer at many people.... perhaps that's why we sneer at bus spotters!

Please note that this post is not intended to be taken seriously. We all have our quirks!

Pat1105

I can't believe people get excited over Voith E200s, dreadful things but if that's what they like then that's what they like! :lol:
I’d have one over an allison any day! I personally like Optares as I think there’s a bit more to look at. I also like the Plaxton Primo (or shopping trolley:lol:) for its quirkiness. We used to have one on my local, but it is now mainly on the 52/53 tenders in Wolverhampton.
As you say, it just goes to show that different people have different opinions on all typed of vehicle.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I’d have one over an allison any day! I personally like Optares as I think there’s a bit more to look at. I also like the Plaxton Primo (or shopping trolley:lol:) for its quirkiness. We used to have one on my local, but it is now mainly on the 52/53 tenders in Wolverhampton.
As you say, it just goes to show that different people have different opinions on all typed of vehicle.

I almost did a victory dance when I drove a Voith E200 for (what I hope was) the last time. Absolutely dreadful things, Alison ones made an awful bus almost tolerable.

The 3 speed Voith E200s I preferred to the 4 speed as it felt like you were hastening their final trip to the scrapyard with the engine screaming up any incline.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I almost did a victory dance when I drove a Voith E200 for (what I hope was) the last time. Absolutely dreadful things, Alison ones made an awful bus almost tolerable.

The 3 speed Voith E200s I preferred to the 4 speed as it felt like you were hastening their final trip to the scrapyard with the engine screaming up any incline.

We have 4 speed Allison E200s on 07/08 plates and some 3 speed Voith examples on 63 plates... all i'll say is the 07/08 plates get hammered on long rural routes without any issue while the 63 plates are mostly restricted to town services. One of the 08 plates they've had up to 70MPH, the 63 plates struggle to hit 17MPH. :lol:

That's because everything with low floors is modern rubbish! <D
#oldfart

At least they're not slow glorified Optare Solos with the engine and doors at the wrong ends. :p
#StreetlitesAreBetterThanRMs

Agreed, there was blame was on both sides and it was certainly a reminder that a momentary lapse in professionalism can have profound consequences. On a personal note I was surprised as it was very out of character for him, must have been having a really bad day.

Agree.

Last edited:

Sprinter107

As a train driver, I have my train photographed most days. It doesn't bother me at all. You very often can't see who the driver is. I dont know why other drivers get so wound up about it tbh. Many of the bus pics I have, you wouldnt be able to tell who the driver is.

VioletEclipse

I'm the person who has nicknames for every bus and tram in the Lothian fleet (hi), although I have no interest for vans/employee cars, maybe someone else does, I won't judge them.

I'm extremely obsessed with Lothian (the fleet and the network) to the point where I've travelled on the full length of most Lothian services at some point, have multiple photos of every bus in the fleet and am quite attached to a certain B7RLE.

I also have an obsession with naming everything (partly because I enjoy thinking up names a lot, and partly because I find names a LOT easier to remember than numbers), and hence I made a fleetlist and attached a name to each bus and tram, often with some resemblance to the registration plate or/and where it usually operates. The names have largely stuck and when I got flickr I decided to add in the name of the bus in the photo to the description as it, to me, is part of the vehicle and hey it's something unique to me which I kinda like. I'm sorry if it causes confusion, it shouldn't but say if it does.

To probably no-one's surprise I am autistic, and that probably somewhat explains my level of obsession with Lothian. Most people find it sad, and I understand - it's pretty weird, especially to an allistic person.

Likewise though, quite a lot of drivers give you a little friendly wave or a nod which you don't see until you have the photos downloadeded. This must make some photographers appear quite rude.
This always makes me feel really bad, I already often feel rude when taking photos (if I've recently had a driver get annoyed I will take it personally for a while afterwards) and realising that I didn't acknowledge a friendly driver makes me feel bad

anthony263

Established Member
I take an interest in buses myself and have done from a youngish age. That inspired me to start driving them and when you start being around the thing that was once a hobby all day long it does spoil it for you. I’ve been driving for first Glasgow for 4 years now and still take a photo of my bus every so often and post it either on FB or Flickr. I would never post anything degrading about the company online or of a bus that had accident damage. A tip for any enthusiast who would want to take the plunge to become a driver... don’t.
Im like thst ive gone a bit off buses but back into my trains

I do tru and get photos especially if it's a new bur or route for me.

I've been.driving the 404 Pontypridd to Bridgend service today and I stopped at points along the route got out and grabbed a snap or 2

traction22

I'm the person who has nicknames for every bus and tram in the Lothian fleet (hi), although I have no interest for vans/employee cars, maybe someone else does, I won't judge them.

I'm extremely obsessed with Lothian (the fleet and the network) to the point where I've travelled on the full length of most Lothian services at some point, have multiple photos of every bus in the fleet and am quite attached to a certain B7RLE.

I also have an obsession with naming everything (partly because I enjoy thinking up names a lot, and partly because I find names a LOT easier to remember than numbers), and hence I made a fleetlist and attached a name to each bus and tram, often with some resemblance to the registration plate or/and where it usually operates. The names have largely stuck and when I got flickr I decided to add in the name of the bus in the photo to the description as it, to me, is part of the vehicle and hey it's something unique to me which I kinda like. I'm sorry if it causes confusion, it shouldn't but say if it does.

To probably no-one's surprise I am autistic, and that probably somewhat explains my level of obsession with Lothian. Most people find it sad, and I understand - it's pretty weird, especially to an allistic person.

This always makes me feel really bad, I already often feel rude when taking photos (if I've recently had a driver get annoyed I will take it personally for a while afterwards) and realising that I didn't acknowledge a friendly driver makes me feel bad

Nothing wrong with the hobby - you/we are doing someone that is legal and hurts nobody. The people who annoy me are the ones who have a pop because they think its sad. "What are you doing with your life then mate?" Go forth back to your sad life and leave me to my life.

VioletEclipse

Nothing wrong with the hobby - you/we are doing someone that is legal and hurts nobody. The people who annoy me are the ones who have a pop because they think its sad. "What are you doing with your life then mate?" Go forth back to your sad life and leave me to my life.
thank you :)

PeterC

Established Member
Reminds me of a joke from about 20 years ago:

Person A: Did you see Big Brother last night?
Person B: No, I go out every night and never see TV.
Person A: Get a life!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There's lots of sadness in this thread, so here's a happy tale.

My friend's daughter, who is 11, is autistic. She is obsessed with the buses that run past her house. She is well known to the drivers who all wave. When lockdown eased she was invited to ride the full length of the route then back to the bus operator's depot for a grand tour, including sitting in all the buses, going through the bus wash, etc etc. They programmed the destination blind up on her favourite type of bus (Optare Versa...poor kid!) with her name on it for photos.

I don't want to say which operator to protect the girl's privacy, which is a shame because that operator deserves a jolly big medal.

Not too many BORDERLINE obsessives on this forum, of course....:)

I'd rather be a Badgerline obsessive.

VioletEclipse

There's lots of sadness in this thread, so here's a happy tale.

My friend's daughter, who is 11, is autistic. She is obsessed with the buses that run past her house. She is well known to the drivers who all wave. When lockdown eased she was invited to ride the full length of the route then back to the bus operator's depot for a grand tour, including sitting in all the buses, going through the bus wash, etc etc. They programmed the destination blind up on her favourite type of bus (Optare Versa...poor kid!) with her name on it for photos.

I don't want to say which operator to protect the girl's privacy, which is a shame because that operator deserves a jolly big medal.

that's so lovely! What an operator
And Optare Versas aren't that bad, there are deffo worse buses to choose from.

swifty

Established Member

:E

Speaking of said operator... I got given various keepsakes from them when I was younger including a 3ft stuffed toy Badger mascot, models, badges, uniform etc.

Certainly kept a very young bus fanatic happy!

Last edited:

hst43102

They programmed the destination blind up on her favourite type of bus (Optare Versa...poor kid!) with her name on it for photos.

That's great and it's nice to see some operators really care about the communities they serve. As for the Optare Versa, I can't think of many better looking buses...although there's not much else that's good about them!

Status
Not open for further replies.