• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
London: £2.30 cash single fare (£1.35 Oyster).
Need to change buses? You pay double.

Paris: €1.70 cash single fare (€1.27 each when buying 10).
Need to change buses? Unlimited transfer within 90 minutes (unless bought from driver).

If Paris can do it, why can London not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Paris is actually worse than most of France (and Europe) because bus to metro transfers aren't free.

ReverendFozz

Where I live Go North East offer an easy enough to understand fare system, they offer a mixture of two-tiered single fares and day tickets, I am not sure if these can be easily found on the internet but GNE is easy contactable over Facebook, Twitter and they have an open line real time chat once a week.

An example of GNE fare structure in my area is divided into Zones, my area Murton and Seaham has a 2 tiered fare system

1 Zone: About £1.20
2+ Zones: About £1.80

GNE also scrapped return tickets in favour of a day ticket, my local day ticket being about £2.70.

LE Greys

Established Member
Where I live Go North East offer an easy enough to understand fare system, they offer a mixture of two-tiered single fares and day tickets, I am not sure if these can be easily found on the internet but GNE is easy contactable over Facebook, Twitter and they have an open line real time chat once a week.

An example of GNE fare structure in my area is divided into Zones, my area Murton and Seaham has a 2 tiered fare system

1 Zone: About £1.20
2+ Zones: About £1.80

GNE also scrapped return tickets in favour of a day ticket, my local day ticket being about £2.70.

Almost exactly the same in Aberdeen on First, although day tickets have gone up to £3:20 recently. If I'm travelling, I've taken to buying rail tickets with a Plusbus (a nice £2) and using them for several journeys (which seems to be allowed). There's been a nasty case of fare inflation for the last eight years, it started off as 50p and £1, then grew at approximately 10p a year.

The thing that always throws a country boy like me is 'buy before you travel', especially in London. I turn up, go to the driver and expect to just ask for the fare. Without local knowledge, I assume the fares are graded in the same way as rural bus fares and returns exist. This has caused a lot of embarassment in the past, but I think I've got the hang of it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.