• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus From King's Cross To Greenwhich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 158 Man

Are there any direct buses that go from London King's Cross Station to Greenwhich? Failing that, any ideas of which routes I'd need to use if there isn't? :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It'll be a very a slow way of doing it I'd have thought- A quick search gives a journey time of 57 minutes from Russell Square to Cutty Sark (Maritime Greenwich). Should be able to do it in just over half that, Journey Planner suggests Northern Line to Bank and then DLR.

317 forever

Established Member
I think the quickest way if you keep to buses is by catching route 63 to Elephant & Castle (its routeing is shorter than route 45) then route 188 (whose routeing is more direct than route 199).

Route 188 used to run from King's Cross to Greenwich on Mondays-Fridays in the 80s.

MCR247

Established Member
Why by bus? Surely train/tube & DLR would be quicker?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The OP hasn't come back with any further insights, so, in the unlikely event that he enjoys cycling, then my preferred method might be of interest . . .

I'd take my bike on the train to Kings Cross, leave by the east (York Way) exit and carefully cross the one way road before pedalling south down Greys Inn Road and following the Thamelink route cross the river at Blackfriars Bridge then follow the south bank cycle routes to Greenwich, or else, stay north of the Thames by a zig-zag east onto Clerkenwell Road then south thru Aldergate before the high point of cycling along the breathtaking landscape of London Wall, the quaint Wapping 'Highway' of old warehouses and then through the murky Greeenwich foot tunnel.

Clearly this isn't for everyone, but it can be quick, safe, simple and highly interesting (and also costing nothing), and if the OP has the time, inclination and interest, then the visible history along these routes will be unforgettable.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The Greenwich tunnel is, astonishingly, not a very reliable way to cross the river...

John Webb

Established Member
The Greenwich tunnel is, astonishingly, not a very reliable way to cross the river...

There is a similar foot tunnel at Woolwich which is very useful if the Free Ferry isn't running due to fog or other reason. The unreliable part of either tunnel is the lift at each end - I spent two years commuting across the river at Woolwich and about one time in three when I used the tunnel I had to carry my bike down or up the stairsat one end or the other. Otherwise they are a trouble-free means of movement if you don't mind the stairs.

John Webb
(Former Woolwich/Plumstead dweller)

The 158 Man

Thanks for the responses chaps. :)

The info wasn't actually for me it was for an elderly friend who doesn't like travelling on the tube and prefers buses. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.