• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Link Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonm

Just discovered that there is a Bus Link ticket from my town of Cullompton (which has no rail station) to Tiverton Parkway. The origin code is H015 and the destination code is 3474. The options are a day single of £1.30 (on the bus the fare is £2.10) and a day return or period return at £2.10. (a) Can I go to the ticket office (probably at Tiverton Parkway) and ask for this to be added in advance to my tickets (I usually by advance tickets to Reading, London etc and (b) has anyone used these and encountered grief/problems on the buses with these (Stagecoach Devon)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Yup you'll be able to buy this either from the booking on a previous day, or online.

Perhaps someone will link to the relevant national rail timetable with the relevant times on. It may or may not be all the buses between the points.

Established Member
I will advise you that you may have some trouble with the drivers as i've had issues with one driver saying that plusbus wasn't valid on his service so be weary.

simonm

I had a feeling, ollieb, that might be the case. I guess I could print out the relevant info from the NFM if someone could provide a link ;) and argue that. If there's any problem I could write to Stagecoach I guess.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I haven't had any problems with bus drivers accepting plusbus tickets to be fair.
Not sure about this ticket though.
All I will say is if you have a smartphone, pull up the relevant websites beforehand so you have some "evidence" to back you up. Its helped me in the past when I have had trouble buying plusbus tickets or getting the railcard discount on them.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
This enquiry is not for PlusBus (as Tiverton doesn't have a PlusBus scheme in place according to the PlusBus website), so provided the bus operator is part of the scheme there shouldn't be a problem using it. A ticket office should be able to issue the bus link ticket in advance with your rail ticket.

You should be aware, however, that it will be issued as a separate ticket and therefore, should you be late to the station at Tiverton because of a problem with the bus, you may not be carried on later services with an Advance fare.

embers25

Established Member
I use plusbus regularly on Exeter to Tiverton via Cullompton buses as far as Broadclyst and have never had any issues although ironically they do sometimes question their own Stagecoach Exeter Day Riders which on Stagecoach have exactly the same validity! However the First X9 drivers never seem too keen on plusbus between Exeter Bus Station and Exeter St Davids.

34D

Established Member
This enquiry is not for PlusBus (as Tiverton doesn't have a PlusBus scheme in place according to the PlusBus website), so provided the bus operator is part of the scheme there shouldn't be a problem using it. A ticket office should be able to issue the bus link ticket in advance with your rail ticket.

You should be aware, however, that it will be issued as a separate ticket and therefore, should you be late to the station at Tiverton because of a problem with the bus, you may not be carried on later services with an Advance fare.

But Collompton is a 'destination' on national rail (station code XDX) live departures http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk/ldb/station.aspx?T=XDX&R=1&A=0 however I cannot see any departures from XDX (to anywhere).

Could someone with a paper (or PDF) copy of the National Rail Timetable to hand advise whether times to/from Collompton show, and if possible perhaps link to the table on here?

Thanks

philjo

Established Member

When I booked through to Mevagissey using the bus link it was shown as the destination on the rail ticket - there was not a separate ticket for the bus element (ticket issued from Potters Bar to Mevagissey Bus)

Didn't have any problems on the bus - main queries were elsewhere as no-one checking the tickets knew where Mevagissey was!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
But Collompton is a 'destination' on national rail (station code XDX) live departures http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk/ldb/station.aspx?T=XDX&R=1&A=0 however I cannot see any departures from XDX (to anywhere)....

I was going to have look in the manual for this fare today at work, but I forgot, so I'll try to remember for tomorrow. Can't help with the bus timetable though.

The issue with being delayed is that, although it is railway ticket stock and bought through the railway, the bus journey is not a railway journey, so unless the ticket, that the bus journey is on, also covers rail travel, you may not be allowed to use a later train service (with the Advance ticket) in the event of a delay.

When I booked through to Mevagissey using the bus link it was shown as the destination on the rail ticket - there was not a separate ticket for the bus element (ticket issued from Potters Bar to Mevagissey Bus)

Didn't have any problems on the bus - main queries were elsewhere as no-one checking the tickets knew where Mevagissey was!

When was that? I was of the impression bus links were all changing to separate tickets (particularly for Advance fares, PlusBus did this some time ago).

simonm

I understand that if the bus is late it's at my own risk but I'm prepared to do that - there is about 45 mins between arrival of bus and departure of train. FGW used to do a whole booklet listing the bus links - is that publication still going?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just looked in FGW's network timetable and the Cullompton bus link is listed (page 62/3) but no details of prices. It shows the correct operator (Stagecoach) and bus number (1).

34D

Established Member
I understand that if the bus is late it's at my own risk but I'm prepared to do that - there is about 45 mins between arrival of bus and departure of train. FGW used to do a whole booklet listing the bus links - is that publication still going?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just looked in FGW's network timetable and the Cullompton bus link is listed (page 62/3) but no details of prices. It shows the correct operator (Stagecoach) and bus number (1).

I don't believe it is your risk.

Please refer to http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/3828.aspx and tell me whether (in the station index) Cullompton is listed, and if so please tell us the table number.

The pdf doesn't display correctly on my device.

simonm

Has anyone got a link to an "official" document other than the pages in FGW's Network timetable showing the bus link existing, and preferably the fare? I can use this as ammo then!

Status
Not open for further replies.