• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Manufacturer News & Discussion

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I've seen quite a few reports that Mellor is "about to embark on an exciting new phase", but it's nothing more than a teaser so far.

Coach and Bus Week reports:

Mellor is set to receive significant investment and expects to undertake an ‘exciting’ repositioning of its business activities for 2022. The company says a focus on technology, people and facilities will be ‘front and centre’ of the next phase in the development of the Mellor brand as it moves to position itself as a major player in the UK bus market.

Mellor, alongside Scarborough-based Promech Technologies – both part of the Woodall Nicholson vehicle manufacturing group – has said investment is under way and plans are in place to expand considerably its UK market presence, while recognising the market’s shifting emphasis towards zero-emission vehicles.

Key to Mellor’s plans is Promech Technologies and the forthcoming development of a new, purpose-built research and development and production facility in Scarborough, which will serve as a technology hub for the development of future Mellor products, and expanding its manufacturing capability through a new Mellor (Scarborough) production division. Partnerships with local schools and colleges to promote STEM learning among young people will create a centre of excellence for future talent within the business.

Mellor is seeking to increase the input of UK-based technology within its products, and said that with a new facility slated for completion next year, it will be even better equipped to deliver a range of zero-emissions vehicle solutions for customers.
(emphasis is mine)

Could this possibly mean a shift towards building bigger vehicles in what already appears to be turning into an ever-crowded marketplace? Hitherto, Mellor has had a niche in the small bus market and, although I've never actually experienced any of their products, they seem to have built a fairly good reputation with their Strata model.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
I've seen quite a few reports that Mellor is "about to embark on an exciting new phase", but it's nothing more than a teaser so far.

Coach and Bus Week reports:

(emphasis is mine)

Could this possibly mean a shift towards building bigger vehicles in what already appears to be turning into an ever-crowded marketplace? Hitherto, Mellor has had a niche in the small bus market and, although I've never actually experienced any of their products, they seem to have built a fairly good reputation with their Strata model.

I wonder if it is in the small electric bus market. I've previously questioned where TfL will get its sub 9m electric buses from - only Optare sees to have a bus - and given Optare's poor record of deliveries, Mellor could step into the void.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wonder if it is in the small electric bus market. I've previously questioned where TfL will get its sub 9m electric buses from - only Optare sees to have a bus - and given Optare's poor record of deliveries, Mellor could step into the void.
Good point.

fgwrich

Established Member
I wonder / hope that future deliveries aren't on the Mercedes sprinter platform. My employers are currently down 57 Sprinter based vehicles because they are long term awaiting parts from Mercedes at the moment!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wonder / hope that future deliveries aren't on the Mercedes sprinter platform. My employers are currently down 57 Sprinter based vehicles because they are long term awaiting parts from Mercedes at the moment!
TfL requires 40-45 capacity for its sub-9.0m buses. The 8.5m Switch Solo achieves this at 41. The Mellor Orion Electric only manages 31 in the same length.

MotCO

Established Member

Sounds like the spares problem of the 1970's

cnjb8

Established Member
Aren’t Mellor designing an electric Strata?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I think previously in this thread someone said the Volvo B5TL was being discontinued. ADL have listed on their product range the B5TL on E400 MMC bodywork, so I presume it's still in production (obviously barring the ones that remain due to Lothian) ?

cnjb8

Established Member
I think previously in this thread someone said the Volvo B5TL was being discontinued. ADL have listed on their product range the B5TL on E400 MMC bodywork, so I presume it's still in production (obviously barring the ones that remain due to Lothian) ?

Adding to this, Sanders Coaches have taken delivery of some Volvo B5TL Wright deckers.

New Deckers for Sanders​

Sanders Social Media Outlets have posted news of their latest arrivals this week,

"We are pleased to announce that 2 new double deck buses will very shortly commence operations on the 44/ 44A/ X44 group of services.

They are Volvo powered and are the very lowest diesel emission buses available and in their small part will help to reduce the carbon footprint of both our Company and Norfolk in general.

At this time we cannot get the range we need to move to electrically powered vehicles.

The new buses are named Shelby Anne Sanders after Paul Sanders first granddaughter and Lily Lucy Shade after Charles Sanders first granddaughter both born quite recently.

We hope you will enjoy many journeys aboard these new vehicles".

Registrations are SA71SAN & LL71SHA

Many Thanks to Ian at Sanders for the Info and Photograph.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
When posting to this thread, please keep it to general news about manufacturers. If it's regarding a specific order for an operator, it should really go in a separate thread relating to that operator and reduces the risk of the topic drifting.

For discussion of the Metrobus order, please go here:

Volvodart

Established Member
Mellor to launch all-new electric bus range

https://www.mellorbus.com/latest-news/mellor-to-launch-all-new-electric-bus-range/

Rochdale-based bus producer, Mellor, has announced it will launch an all-new range of single-deck battery-electric buses for 2022, as the company moves into previously untapped bus markets. The new multi-variant range is expected to include an extensive choice of lengths, widths, operating ranges, and gross vehicle weights, with further details due to be announced in December 2021.
In the most significant new bus model introduction in the UK for many years – and anticipated to be the widest range of battery-electric buses from any manufacturer in Europe – the new Mellor range will provide an exciting alternative for customers both in the UK and in overseas markets. Drawing on a proven track record of design and engineering expertise, Mellor will substantially broaden its appeal with a larger range of vehicles, offering increased operating capability to customers while maintaining Mellor’s core principles of producing both size- and cost-appropriate buses.

The news follows the announcement in October of Mellor’s ambitions to reposition the business from 2022, with subsequent plans revealed for the opening of a new Mellor (Scarborough) facility next year.
Mellor announced last month that it intends to develop as a major player in the UK and European bus markets with a focus on people, technology, and facilities central to the company’s ambitions. And, Mellor’s Bus Division Managing Director, Mark Clissett, confirmed this week that the company is to launch a new product range, saying, “…we’re about to see a step-change in our product range and embark upon a new chapter in the recent history of Mellor.”

The new electric bus range is the culmination of the wider capabilities of Woodall Nicholson – Mellor’s parent group company – having seen development through investment over recent years. The product announcement is very much part of Mellor’s repositioning plans to address increasing customer demands for zero-emissions buses, to provide both technical and commercial solutions outside the current traditional thinking of many bus suppliers.

With the opening of a new Mellor (Scarborough) facility next autumn to support Mellor’s existing manufacturing HQ in Rochdale, Mellor’s sister company, Promech Technologies, is also an integral part of the new purpose-built facility in Scarborough. The partnership creates a symbiosis between the two organisations and one which is unique in the bus and coach manufacturing sector.

Mellor’s current and well-established product line-up includes the Orion, Strata, Maxima, and Tucana ranges, together offering size- and cost-appropriate vehicle options for a wide range of operations. The line-up also includes a growing number of full-electric variants, including recent new models to take advantage of recent government funding initiatives.

“We’re very excited indeed about our new electric bus range,” said Mark Clissett, “a bold move which we believe will shake up the UK bus market and deliver a fresh new business proposition for operators. Our new electric bus range will provide a genuine alternative for customers, with the widest range of models currently on the market today.
“Our focus has fallen on people, technology and facilities,” he said, “and we’re bringing all these aspects together now as we gear up for an exciting 2022.”

Mikey C

Established Member
From the sound of it they're going into the world of full size buses.
Yes they are very ambitious plan

Mellor has announced further details of its new battery-electric single-deck bus product. The Rochdale manufacturer says that it will consist of an “extensive range” of models at multiple lengths, widths, ranges and GVWs and that they will enter the UK and European markets in 2022.
Additional information on the multi-variant range will be released next month, but Mellor bullishly describes the line-up as being “anticipated to be the widest range of battery-electric buses from any manufacturer in Europe” and describes it as “the most significant new bus model introduction in the UK for many years.”

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Bus & Coach buyer also had a report on this today, although it doesn't give away anything more than has already been posted. The link is here for reference:

They do seem to be drip-feeding information, maybe to try to build up some hype. It'll certainly be interesting to see what they're offering when they make their announcement in December.

Volvodart

Established Member
Mallon announces £30 million to make Foyle Metro Zero Carbon

https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news/mallon-announces-ps30-million-make-foyle-metro-zero-carbon

Date published: 03 November 2021

Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has announced funding of around £30million for 38 new zero emission battery electric buses for Foyle Metro in Derry.

This significant leap will see the city’s entire urban fleet, Foyle Metro, replaced with electric buses making it one of the first cities in the UK and Ireland to have a fully zero-emission bus fleet when all the vehicles go into passenger service in 2023.

The Minister made the announcement during a virtual address to the United Nations COP26 Global Climate Conference in Glasgow at an event hosted by Translink. They had been invited to share their experiences on the transformative journey to decarbonise Northern Ireland’s public transport.

Minister Mallon said:

“I have an ambitious vision for a low carbon future and I am committed to delivering cleaner, greener, sustainable infrastructure. I have been clear that tackling the climate crisis is a priority for me and I am committed to building a better future where we make zero/low emission public transport accessible to communities across the North.

“My Department previously allocated funding of almost £74 million for the purchase of 145 zero and low emission buses for the Translink fleet. I am delighted today, at COP26, to announce additional funding of £30million for the purchase of 38 new zero emission battery electric buses for the Foyle Metro fleet which will allow Derry to have a fully zero-emission bus fleet when all the vehicles go into passenger service in 2023. Their arrival will herald a new cleaner and greener era in transport for the city and will make a positive impact on the climate emergency and help enhance air quality.

"These are the changes we need to see to help us tackle climate change and contribute to better health outcomes for all our population. I will continue to make positive steps to choose cleaner, greener travel.”

Translink Group Chief Executive Chris Conway said:

“Today marks a further milestone in the journey to achieve our ambitious targets to make public transport carbon net zero by 2040 and go beyond to be climate positive by 2050. We have been delighted to make this announcement at COP26 and showcase the actions we are taking to tackle the climate emergency and drive positive change for a healthier and more sustainable transport for future generations to come.

“We will have over 100 zero emission buses in passenger service next spring making up over a third of our Metro fleet. Now this latest order will mean 100% of urban bus services within the city of Derry~Londonderry will be zero emission not only making bus travel even more attractive and efficient but enhancing local air quality for everyone that lives, works and visits the city.

“There will be a mix of both single and double decker buses bringing enhanced capacity and with the latest passenger comfort features including WiFi, USB chargers and accessibility features like audio visual next stop announcements, this is great news for everyone.

“We would like to thank the Minister and the Department for their ongoing vision and support. We will continue to work with all stakeholders collaboratively to harness a shift in attitudes and behaviours towards more sustainable transport for a better future for everyone”, Chris concluded.

All the new zero emission electric buses are due to be in service during 2023.

Notes to editors:
The investment of around £30 million by the Department for Infrastructure will include the buses supplied by local firm Wrightbus and a programme of associated infrastructure works.
The 38 buses will include 28 single deck and 10 double deck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volvodart

Established Member
Some more information is now available on the Mellor Sigma range - Sigma 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12:-

https://www.mellorbus.com/latest-news/sigma-mellor-lifts-lid-on-all-new-electric-bus-range/

SIGMA: Mellor lifts lid on all-new electric bus range

UK bus manufacturer Mellor is ‘redefining zero-emissions public transport’ after revealing details of its all-new, zero-emissions electric bus range.
Designated ‘Sigma’, the new Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) line-up comprises six individual models – with overall lengths from 7 to 12 metres and GVWs from 8 to 19-tonnes, width and passenger door configuration to further broaden the range – making Sigma one of the largest ranges of low-floor BEV buses from any manufacturer in Europe.

Electric-only Sigma range answers call for cleaner transport
In the most significant repositioning of Mellor’s commercial activities in its history, the new zero-emissions Sigma range comes to market as global attitudes to transport focus on a more sustainable future and where concerns over vehicle CO2 emissions see pressure exerted on governments and local authorities to provide funding for bus operators.

The move is a bold statement of intent from the Rochdale-based bus manufacturer as it seeks to further enhance its presence with UK bus fleet operators. With the widest range of model variants and specifications on the market, Mellor believes its ongoing mandate to produce size- and cost-appropriate vehicles mean Sigma’s unrivalled choice will – for the first time – provide customers with a no-compromise, zero-emissions transport solution from a single manufacturer.

Lightweight Sigma models reduce energy consumption
Key to the operational appeal of the new Mellor Sigma will be a significant weight saving across all models compared to competitor vehicles, in turn, reducing energy consumption while enhancing operational performance and range.

Mellor believes Sigma redefines the zero-emissions offering for public transport operators, finally providing customers with a complete range of BEVs to deliver clean, sustainable solutions to suit route profiles ranging from constricted town centres to long-distance rural services.

Six Sigma models in phased introduction
The Sigma range also places Mellor firmly in the midi-bus sector serving BEV markets in the UK and overseas. Initial 7 and 10-metre Sigma models are available immediately for order and will be unveiled at a special launch event at Millbrook in December. Customers placing orders today can expect delivery by early summer 2022. A further four models, including 8, 9, 11, and 12 metre variants, will be phased in during 2022, with customer deliveries also expected within the same period.

With six model options, the multi-variant Sigma BEV range retains Mellor’s core principle of producing both size- and cost-appropriate buses. Sigma also boasts an extensive choice of widths, operating ranges, and gross vehicle weights, allowing the company to offer a truly no-compromise vehicle specification and allowing Mellor to enter previously untapped markets.

“Here we are at the start of a new chapter in the history of Mellor,” said Mellor’s Bus Division Managing Director Mark Clissett, “our new Sigma range is a redefinition of the zero-emissions bus offering and one which will see Mellor establish itself as a major player with fleet customers, both in the UK and in overseas markets. With six new base models, and a range of options, we are sticking to our size- and cost-appropriate principles and, more than any other manufacturer, able to offer customers an exacting BEV solution for their precise requirements.
“We’re really excited with the prospect of shaking up the market with this fantastic new product,” he said, “Sigma not only marks a turning point for Mellor, it is also the most important product introduction of its kind from any bus builder in the last decade.”

MCR247

Established Member
Interestingly, I’d have said it looks like a cross between an E400 MMC and the City version

LP 3395

Some more information is now available on the Mellor Sigma range - Sigma 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12:-

https://www.mellorbus.com/latest-news/sigma-mellor-lifts-lid-on-all-new-electric-bus-range/

The Sigma range appears to be rebadged buses from China..

http://www.wisdommotor.com/index/index/index.html

The manufacturer is also supplying electric double deckers/coaches to Citybus Hong Kong.

http://www.wisdommotor.com/Product/detail/41

http://www.wisdommotor.com/Product/detail/59

MotCO

Established Member
The manufacturer is also supplying electric double deckers/coaches to Citybus Hong Kong.

http://www.wisdommotor.com/Product/detail/41

http://www.wisdommotor.com/Product/detail/59
The front looks like a Scania Omnicity, and the wheelarches like a Volvo 9900 coach!

In other news:

Switch Mobility has announced that it is to build a factory in Spain 'to serve other global markets and South America'. Isn't there enough capacity in Sherburn, or has the demand for Switch products really taken off (not that I've noticed :frown:)

Switch Mobility is to build an advanced manufacturing and technology centre in Castilla y León, Spain, with construction scheduled for January 2022.
It will be Switch’s first facility in continental Europe and will witness an investment of approximately €100m over the next decade.
Two production lines will begin producing buses in quarter four, 2022. Focus will be on building net zero carbon electric vehicles for the European market, and on research and development of Switch’s “next generation” of electric buses and light commercial vehicles. The facility is also expected to serve other global markets including South America.
Castilla y León was chosen as the ideal location due to the region’s “strong automotive supply chain”, transport links and “a high level of skilled automotive engineers and operatives”, Switch Mobility says. It predicts 2,000 talented direct jobs and around 5,000 indirect jobs will be created.
The facility will be powered by renewable energy, with carbon neutrality “a priority” during the construction phase.
“We are delighted that Switch is today launching its first site in continental Europe in the province of Valladolid, Spain where we will benefit greatly from the region’s abundance of talent,” says Dr Andy Palmer, Executive Vice Chairman and CEO of Switch Mobility. “Supporting our well-established sites in the UK and India, our Spanish facility will provide us with crucial access to the European market.
“On behalf of the board, I would like to thank the Minister of Economy of the Castilla y León Government, Carlos Fernández Carriedo and the Mayor of Valladolid, Oscar Puente, who have been hugely supportive of the project and have worked closely with Switch over the last six months.
“I look forward to building on this relationship as we develop Switch’s advanced, carbon-neutral facility and work with the region to support its transition to a fully electric bus fleet.”
Adds Oscar Puente, Mayor of Valladolid: “Switch Mobility’s project is fully in line with our commitment to industrialise and diversify Valladolid’s industrial make-up. The sustainable mobility policy promoted by Valladolid City Council aims for complete decarbonisation and a rapid transition from combustion vehicles to zero-emission mobility.
“Today is a great day for Valladolid, which gains an industrial project that generates skilled employment, wealth and innovation. A project that represents a better future for our region.”
Switch Bus

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Looks to me like a cross between several types of vehicle. The front of the lower deck, excluding the headlights, reminds me a bit of an Enviro400 MMC while the red headlight surrounds remind me a bit of a Volvo B7R / Caetano CityGold - https://www.flickr.com/photos/136304935@N03/32592711070/ - and the black headlight surrounds and the upper deck front remind me of a Gemini 3 (the classic style, not the StreetDeck style).

Meanwhile, from Cardiff comes the news that some of their electrics are out on the 49 & 50 as per the attached screenshot. For the benefit of those of us who use screen readers (I am told there might be a few) the mods asked me to post the text from the screenshot. It reads:

"A few of our electric buses have escaped from the depot and have been spotted on the 49 & 50 routes. Keep an eye out for them as they run between the city centre and Llanrumney."
(Facebook Post from CardiffBus - https://www.facebook.com/349062116638/posts/10159972387091639 - hope that link works: sorry if it doesn't - my Facebook is on my phone, this forum on my PC)

I don't think that colour scheme looks too bad.

Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-195433_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-195433_Facebook.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Looks to me like a cross between several types of vehicle. The front of the lower deck, excluding the headlights, reminds me a bit of an Enviro400 MMC while the red headlight surrounds remind me a bit of a Volvo B7R / Caetano CityGold - https://www.flickr.com/photos/136304935@N03/32592711070/ - and the black headlight surrounds and the upper deck front remind me of a Gemini 3 (the classic style, not the StreetDeck style).
I thought that too, the back end upper is rather reminiscent of the E400 City as well. It's just a shame the back end is rather well, boring.

The single deck design is interesting too - that front end is very much a E200 MMC meets Eclipse 3 / StreetHawk.

aswilliamsuk

The front looks like a Scania Omnicity, and the wheelarches like a Volvo 9900 coach!

In other news:

Switch Mobility has announced that it is to build a factory in Spain 'to serve other global markets and South America'. Isn't there enough capacity in Sherburn, or has the demand for Switch products really taken off (not that I've noticed :frown:)

Plainly and simply, this will be Switch making sure they can supply the EU by having a manufacturing base there - the additional costs exporting from the UK nowadays thanks to Brexit, of course...

MotCO

Established Member
Plainly and simply, this will be Switch making sure they can supply the EU by having a manufacturing base there - the additional costs exporting from the UK nowadays thanks to Brexit, of course...

But where are the orders? If they can't sell in the UK, where are they going to get the European orders from?