• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bus Travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST

Morning,

Does anyone know whether a TOC Staff Rail Pass with Northern enables discounted Bus Travel with First Group and/or other companies? Also, as Northern is part of Arriva, is there discounted or free travel on these services?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Indy3995

Hi, they don't with First. Get loads of Northern staff on my bus and they all have normal pre paid passes or bought weekly tickets. No idea about Arriva.

driver9000

Established Member
First Rail staff can buy discounted bus passes through the staff rewards scheme. No good if you don't live in a First Bus area though.

Stigy

Established Member
Yeah, If your TOC is part of First Group you are entitiled to a number of reduced tickets per year through their reward scheme (same with reduced rate tickets for family and friends both on buses and trains). I am a bit confused though....so is Northern now part of Arriva and First?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
No. There isnt any travel agreements between Arriva rail and Arriva bus...

When did that change? When I worked for ATW I had travel facilities on ATW, XC, London Overground, Northern, Tyne Metro, Chiltern and Arriva buses outside London. I used my ATW pass several times in Chester.

Of course, I know that ATW/TfW is no longer part of the Arriva Group - but I wouldn't have tought that would affect the rest of the constituent companies' mutual travel acceptance.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
When did that change? When I worked for ATW I had travel facilities on ATW, XC, London Overground, Northern, Tyne Metro and Arriva buses outside London. I used my ATW pass several times in Chester.

Of course, I know that ATW/TfW is no longer part of the Arriva Group - but I wouldn't have tought that would affect the rest of the constituent companies' mutual travel acceptance.

ATW staff were able to use their passes on Arriva buses in the North West, Wales and West Midlands right up until the final day of the franchise. This was unique within the Arriva group, the other TOCs didn't get bus travel. This was in addition to the unlimited travel across all of the Arriva group TOCs enjoyed by all staff at all of those TOCs.

Now under TfW, staff get nothing except their Priv and free travel on their own franchise - still generous compared to most jobs in the real world but by railway standards they've gone from having the best staff travel package in the industry to the worst overnight.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
ATW staff were able to use their passes on Arriva buses in the North West, Wales and West Midlands right up until the final day of the franchise. This was unique within the Arriva group, the other TOCs didn't get bus travel. This was in addition to the unlimited travel across all of the Arriva group TOCs enjoyed by all staff at all of those TOCs.

Now under TfW, staff get nothing except their Priv and free travel on their own franchise - still generous compared to most jobs in the real world but by railway standards they've gone from having the best staff travel package in the industry to the worst overnight.

Aha, didn't realise it was only ATW - must have been historic from way back when.

Yes that's something I wasn't looking forward to if I'd stayed - I thoroughly abused my free XC travel!!

t_star2001uk

When did that change? When I worked for ATW I had travel facilities on ATW, XC, London Overground, Northern, Tyne Metro, Chiltern and Arriva buses outside London. I used my ATW pass several times in Chester.

Ive asked the question several times as where i live the bus service is Arriva, and have been told that there is no free or discount on Arriva buses, only within the rail group. Would be nice to have though.

Status
Not open for further replies.